Apr. 30, NHL Draft Lottery, 7 PM

dlbalr

This is terrible. I'm having visions of our core proving insufficient and then the Leafs and Sabres being juggernauts in 3-4 years time.

I really wish Matthews wasn't going to Toronto, he looks good. Now I can only hope his career is derailed by injuries or drug use or he dies in a plane crash or spontaneously combusts.

This is terrible. I'm having visions of our core proving insufficient and then the Leafs and Sabres being juggernauts in 3-4 years time.

I really wish Matthews wasn't going to Toronto, he looks good. Now I can only hope his career is derailed by injuries or drug use or he dies in a plane crash or spontaneously combusts.

Seems a little harsh, maybe he could be just not that good, like some other highly touted picks, who never developed.

Seems a little harsh, maybe he could be just not that good, like some other highly touted picks, who never developed.

I hope he is the new Alexandre Daigl or Patrik Stefan... Or Yakupov. I hope that the leafs failing in drafts continue even with a failsafe first overall pick as mathews.

Yeah, I'd feel bad if something bad happened to him. But he seems like he'll be good, at least as good as any of the non-McDavid EDM #1's. Better than Chucky. And at this point the Leafs have an edge on us in coaching AND management, so it's less likely they'll screw it all up.

But yeah, hopefully he's a total dud. Maybe his leg will fall off. Can we get someone to Tonya Harding him?

Yeah, I'd feel bad if something bad happened to him. But he seems like he'll be good, at least as good as any of the non-McDavid EDM #1's. Better than Chucky. And at this point the Leafs have an edge on us in coaching AND management, so it's less likely they'll screw it all up.

But yeah, hopefully he's a total dud. Maybe his leg will fall off. Can we get someone to Tonya Harding him?

As a hockey fan I can honestly say I hope Matthews becomes a star, leafs or not. I just enjoy watching the next generation develop. I expect a lot of people here will think I'm mad, but I wouldn't wish such a hyped player to be a bust.

As a hockey fan I can honestly say I hope Matthews becomes a star, leafs or not. I just enjoy watching the next generation develop. I expect a lot of people here will think I'm mad, but I wouldn't wish such a hyped player to be a bust.

I'm a fan of the sport too, been enjoying these stress-free playoffs. But I want players on the Leafs and Bruins to fail, plain and simple. The rest of the new generation can develop without Matthews, who can fall into a hole. He figures to be better than any forward I've watched in a Habs jersey, though I hope it's not the case.

Leafs are still gonna have goaltending and defense issues to sort out

i think they will try finishing bottom 5 for a couple more years. they have time to find goaltending and defence. next year the holes will benefit them to suck.

Saw some clip of a bunch of leaffans going crazy about winning the lottery. Looked like they won the cup. How I wouldve loved to see their reaction if we or the sens won instead.

Who is the Yost guy that several people mentioned? What is the BCHL?

The BCHL is a lower level junior league that players can play in while retaining NCAA eligibility. In Jost's case, he is going to North Dakota next year. The Habs drafted Mark MacMillan out of that league back in 2010 - coincidentally, he too went to North Dakota.

Jost is a smallish but highly skilled centre who just beat Connor McDavid's record for most points by a Canadian at the World U-18's.

Leafs are still gonna have goaltending and defense issues to sort out

But,

Leafs with 1st, 27th, 31st, 57th, 60th & 61st pick Leafs should stockpile couple good players at least.

Bruins also with 14th, 23rd, 32nd, 51st will beef up a pretty good prospect pool.

Thanks., I saw one site listing him a right handed and a RWer

I guess I would like to see hoe he does against top competition for Canada under 18 tournament.

Somehow I have L Leblanc and David Fisher in mind, players playing well against high school aged kids.

I guess we will see who they pick.

I don't think he's as good of a skater as Commandant does. I think it's the one thing that could stop him from being a first line guy.

Watch the empty net goal he scored against Finland where he out raced the defenceman to the loose puck.

3:46 of this video

I wouldn't mind them taking Chychurn if he's a LD. Bergevin needs to address the hole on forwards via trades or free agency, some chili hot NCAAer likely won't suit up until Price's new contract.

Juolevi, Sergachev & Chychrun are all 6'2" LH d-men and any would seem to be smart picks at 9th. But of course most want a forward and should be couple good ones also available.

I wouldn't mind them taking Chychurn if he's a LD. Bergevin needs to address the hole on forwards via trades or free agency, some chili hot NCAAer likely won't suit up until Price's new contract.

My preference for forward is not to fill immediate holes.

My preference for forward is because historically there are much more Elite (ie norris trophy level) defencemen taken outside the top first round, than there are elite forwards (Art Ross level) taken outside the top 10. If you have a chance to go high and the defence/forwards are near equivalent, I always want the forward as getting elite forwards is harder IMO.

Last 30 years

Norris winners taken outside top 10: Karlsson, Subban, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Blake, Chelios, MacInnis,

Art Ross winners taken outside top 10: Benn, St. Louis.

Defencemen develop later, and you are more likely to be able to get a gem later in the draft.

• Upvote 2

My preference for forward is not to fill immediate holes.

My preference for forward is because historically there are much more Elite (ie norris trophy level) defencemen taken outside the top first round, than there are elite forwards (Art Ross level) taken outside the top 10. If you have a chance to go high and the defence/forwards are near equivalent, I always want the forward as getting elite forwards is harder IMO.

Last 30 years

Norris winners taken outside top 10: Karlsson, Subban, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Blake, Chelios, MacInnis,

Art Ross winners taken outside top 10: Benn, St. Louis.

Defencemen develop later, and you are more likely to be able to get a gem later in the draft. h

As much as all three d-men seem like smart picks, I keep thinking that the last Hab forward to finish in top ten in NHL scoring was drafted in 1979. So if get a top ten pick, a highly skilled forward seems more appealing.

As much as all three d-men seem like smart picks, I keep thinking that the last Hab forward to finish in top ten in NHL scoring was drafted in 1979. So if get a top ten pick, a highly skilled forward seems more appealing.

It's that sort of thinking that got us trading for Mark Recchi back in 94. He was Top 10 in scoring in 93-94 so surely he'd be a Top 10 scorer for the Habs. He dropped out of the Top 10 and John Leclair moved in.

Last year not a single player on the Blackhawks was in the Top 10 of scoring. Same with 13-14 with the Kings. And the Kings in 11-12. And the Bruins in 10-11. Only Dallas, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Washington have Top 10 scorers in the playoffs right now. Not saying it wouldn't be great, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

It's that sort of thinking that got us trading for Mark Recchi back in 94. He was Top 10 in scoring in 93-94 so surely he'd be a Top 10 scorer for the Habs. He dropped out of the Top 10 and John Leclair moved in.

Last year not a single player on the Blackhawks was in the Top 10 of scoring. Same with 13-14 with the Kings. And the Kings in 11-12. And the Bruins in 10-11. Only Dallas, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Washington have Top 10 scorers in the playoffs right now. Not saying it wouldn't be great, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

It's a great point. We tend to fixate on The Saviour. But really, we just need 1-2 forwards who can be offensively productive in the top-6. They needn't be superstars, as nice as that might be.

Recchi came to Habs in his 9th NHL year, so what at all does that have to do with drafting a 18 year old forward prospect for offense over a d-man?

Teams with zero all-star forwards win zero cups and that is what Habs have been for awhile now.