The end of the preseason: Habs vs Sens, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

Well that is another way of doing it that might work.

Heading into tonight, that was the route I thought they may go. After tonight, I'd still lean that way but I'd be less surprised if Condon got the spot outright.

Nice goal by Gilbert in the mock OT...at least the Habs didn't go winless in the pretend portion.

Some other positives from tonight:

- Pacioretty looks like he's in fine form, very little rust.

- Beaulieu stood out in a good way. He was better at picking when and when not to pinch.

- I liked that Smith-Pelly got a look with the Galchenyuk line in the third period. It seems like the eventual line changes will come from RW's changing places so it's nice to see them actually tinker a bit with that now. Smith-Pelly also looked half decent on that line, drove the net a few times.

On the negative side, Tinordi's last chance to legitimately earn a spot on the roster didn't go well. He had a rough night. He'll still make it by default (just like McIlrath and Oleksiak elsewhere) to avoid waivers if it comes to that but his play does not warrant a spot on the opening night roster.

This was Fleischmann's quietest game but he still wasn't bad. He managed to stay healthy which I think was the last hurdle to clear before getting signed.

Guest Stogey24

Tinordi is playing the most basic hockey he's ever played. Basically playing to not make a mistake, which is actually making him play worse. He hasn't been laying the body at all, or mixing things up. Not making much of a case

Tinordi is playing the most basic hockey he's ever played.

Give him a pumpkin spice latte and a pair of Uggs and send this basic bitch to St John's!

But don't actually. I just wanted a good sentence to refer to Tinordi as a Basic Bitch.

• Upvote 1

Tinordi is playing the most basic hockey he's ever played. Basically playing to not make a mistake, which is actually making him play worse. He hasn't been laying the body at all, or mixing things up. Not making much of a case

Yep! Pretty terrible last night for sure...

The fact Tinordi is finding himself out of position and he never went for a hit should tell you where his development is.

I'd give him one regular season game and if he plays like this again? I'm not worried if he is picked up by even the Bruins on waivers.

• Upvote 1

Yup, might be good for Habs to waive Tinordi and then the Bruins did pick him up?

His ceiling is looking more and more like a fringe d-man with very short NHL career.

He can soon join Leblanc and Fischer (and lkely McCarron in a couple years) in 1st round bust support group.

• Upvote 1

Is there a possibility that Tinordi just wants out of Montreal too... This place hasn't been all that friendly to him

I wouldn't be surprised if he did want out. Playing bad is the wrong way to go about getting out of there though, some strong efforts would certainly have other teams showing more interest.

Is there a possibility that Tinordi just wants out of Montreal too... This place hasn't been all that friendly to him

That's a bad strategy. He plays bad because he wants out, Montreal puts him on waivers and nobody touches him. Now he's in St. John's and wants out. What else can he do? Play bad until they send him to the ECHL? Sit out and make all GMs consider him a head case? Goto Europe? Options are limited.

If you want out, you play well. You play hard. You earn a spot. Then you tell them that you want a trade. Then you got a little value to go somewhere.

• Upvote 1

Surely Tinordi - whose dad had such a distinguished career - would know better than to mope because he's unhappy that an organization has not handed him a job on a silver platter despite his having done nothing to earn it? Surely he's getting better advice than that?

I don't agree that the Habs haven't been 'friendly' to Tinordi, as though the organization doesn't want a hulking, intimidating shut-down defenceman and 1st round pick to succeed. The fact is, he has never shown ANYTHING at the NHL level, whether in training camp or the regular season. For a guy in that position to sulk is asinine. Take a page from Pateryn's book, come up and quietly play smart, solid hockey instead of shoving your head up your own arse. It's a MAN's league, and not just in terms of physical maturation.

He is still a very young man, but he is running out of options in Montreal. If waived he may not be picked up, he has not shown the heart and grit that the NHL gm's want to see. Too bad cause we could really use him, or someone like him.

Surely Tinordi - whose dad had such a distinguished career - would know better than to mope because he's unhappy that an organization has not handed him a job on a silver platter despite his having done nothing to earn it? Surely he's getting better advice than that?

I don't agree that the Habs haven't been 'friendly' to Tinordi, as though the organization doesn't want a hulking, intimidating shut-down defenceman and 1st round pick to succeed. The fact is, he has never shown ANYTHING at the NHL level, whether in training camp or the regular season. For a guy in that position to sulk is asinine. Take a page from Pateryn's book, come up and quietly play smart, solid hockey instead of shoving your head up your own arse. It's a MAN's league, and not just in terms of physical maturation.

I think last season he had some solid games in the NHL which might have argued that he deserved a spot on the roster instead of going back to the AHL. But he went back and stopped showing that potential. It's quite similar to Leblanc, who played "fine" in our 11-12 garbage season but it was likely more circumstance and a hot streak than true potential.

I liked him being drafted and felt he was developing into a big man with puckhandling ability. He can still carry the puck well, but his work without the puck has been a huge disappointment. I didn't give Diaz any slack in that category, nor will I do it for Tinordi until he goes back to the AHL.