Official positivity thread

SOOPAVILLIN

Here is the place where there is no scapegoating, no hindsight "intelligence" or yo yo reactions to any game.

To fire this up I just wanna say that if we can look at a guy like Gomez and forget his salary for a minute (which isn't his fault it's Sathers) if we take Gomez out of the lineup we are a 1 line team. If anyone made Gomez's salary I'm sure the complaints would be on them too.

This group of guys have constantly been a pleasant surprise, and I dOnt think many teams would be able to maintain their position with these many injuries, and extremely questionable officiating. I mean it was only a few years ago where a Markov injury meant total devastation. I believe in this group and the coaching.

GO HABS GO

P.S. I borrowed the idea of this thread from the official Habs forum, but I like this forum better so I thought we needed one here.

Great idea for a thread.

I certainly believe in at least trying to be optimistic , blind or not, in the face of an injury plagued season.

The fact they we are not 3 points back from eighth right now is a miracle considering the last 5 months.

If all it's going to be definitive statements that the Habs can't do this or that, maybe it would be better to follow that " jump on the bandwagon " mentality to it's logical conclusion and get behind a sure thing.

It's natural to assume things will be rough but saying things will be terrible to insulate yourself in case they happen is odd to me.

Et. Le. But.

Edited by BrenDittero

Great idea for a thread.

I certainly believe in at least trying to be optimistic , blind or not, in the face of an injury plagued season.

The fact they we are not 3 points back from eighth right now is a miracle considering the last 5 months.

If all it's going to be definitive statements that the Habs can't do this or that, maybe it would be better to follow that " jump the shark " mentality to it's logical conclusion and get behind a sure thing.

It's natural to assume things will be rough but saying things will be terrible to insulate yourself in case they happen is odd to me.

Et. Le. But.

I think you mean "jump on the bandwagon". "Jumping the shark" is something completely different.

I think you mean "jump on the bandwagon". "Jumping the shark" is something completely different.

You're right, Jumping the shark is a turn of phrase that is commonly used with regards to the decline of a TV show and ridiculous ideas used to make it popular again.

Should have double checked. Thanks.

OP edited

Edited by BrenDittero

I think we need to kill this thread! What the hell is there to be positive about?????? :angry:

I think we need to kill this thread! What the hell is there to be positive about?????? :angry:

C'mon, the season isn't over yet and the playoffs are weeks away. We can throw in the towel when the time comes.

The Habs are a good team. Though you wouldn't know it from the last three games.

They seem frustrated they need to simplify, and get on the road the fans at the bell center aren't what they need right now.

Yes, going on the road will, ironically, be likely to help. Hell, it could become just what the doctor ordered, a late-season crucible in which the team can re-bond and recommit to the elements that make it successful.

And if you're REALLY looking for optimism...let's remember that 1986 and 1993 (or for that matter 2010) ALL saw the Habs looking awful during late-season slumps :lol:

(Actually, this season, I would expect the Habs to start gelling - just in time for yet another major injury to decimate Cammy, Subban, Gio, Price or any other combination of key guys. But wait, that's for the Official Negativity Thread!)

Yeah I clearly remember in 93 down the stretch when we slumped I blindly made a bet with a friend of mine who said we would get knocked out in the first round, and I randomly said we would win the cup. Needless to say it was the best $20 I ever earned in my life.

I can't believe 18 years have gone by since, I clearly remember every moment of the win and especially the day after. Ah good times...

I think several of our players are playing with injuries and therefore looking worse than they are. I think its safe to say now that it doesnt really matter who we get out of Philly, Washington or Boston. We need to get as healthy as we can get and play our game.

In the spirit of optimism. At least we've got Atlanta, Carolina and the Devils this week. Surely we can get at least 4 points out of that?

In the spirit of optimism. At least we've got Atlanta, Carolina and the Devils this week. Surely we can get at least 4 points out of that?

Even though thus is the positivity thread I still have to be realistic, when I see a Jersey game I basically file it as a loss, that's actually the only team that I think is the Habs' Achilles Heel.

In the spirit of this thread, I think we can use the last 7 games as a good baseline moving forward.

Wins: Tampa Bay and Minnesota

Losses: Washington x 2, New York, Buffalo and Boston.

Taking Minnesota out of the equation, we have beat one team that we could face in the playoffs and lost to four.

Now is a good time for the Habs to take stock and really take a hard look at where the problems are. I think the worst thing the Habs could do is try to forget about those games, they should study them and get caught up on why those games went bust.

Every night was similar, bad passes, sloppy neutral zone play, not enough bodies in front of the net, sloppy defence on the PP, too many penalties etc etc.

We have the Coles Notes of what went wrong, now let's try to make it right.

In the spirit of this thread, I think we can use the last 7 games as a good baseline moving forward.

Wins: Tampa Bay and Minnesota

Losses: Washington x 2, New York, Buffalo and Boston.

Taking Minnesota out of the equation, we have beat one team that we could face in the playoffs and lost to four.

Now is a good time for the Habs to take stock and really take a hard look at where the problems are. I think the worst thing the Habs could do is try to forget about those games, they should study them and get caught up on why those games went bust.

Every night was similar, bad passes, sloppy neutral zone play, not enough bodies in front of the net, sloppy defence on the PP, too many penalties etc etc.

We have the Coles Notes of what went wrong, now let's try to make it right.

+1

Compared to past slumps, I don't think this one is so bad. I at least feel like I see some energy in them. They can't execute or score for their lives but at least they look to me like they're trying.

ok my opinion. what the hell good does it do to wail and weep over the current situation. nobody likes it. But this team for the last 2 years since rebuild 5a have never backed down or given up. they don't seem to know how. The playoffs are coming. i have been a fan for 46 years and I say the same thing every year. If they make the playoffs you have to worry about them because they are THE MONTREAL CANADIENS and they know how to win. see last year for exhibit a. :habslogo::clap:

The habs current play sort of flies in the face of the comments that they aren't backing down. If I had to describe the teams play right now, it'd be exactly that, backing down. The D giving up possession on the corners so they don't get hit, the forwards bailing out before making the correct pass.

An undersized forward group and a generally undermanned team that already sorely needed help at the wing when the season started. I know this a positivity thread, but really, how is any of this surprising? Granted, getting whopped by the Bruins stings, but beyond that, this slump had to be expected.

Positivity, let's see...we're hopeful that these site issues have stopped. (Thought I should post a note on that...)

Edit: Or not...

The only thing that will change anything is that the Habs get 3-4 points out of Atlanta and Carolina. Hell 2pts might do it. Roll a 0 or 1 --- change those dogs to wolves.

Personally, I am glad that a slump is going on now if at all, with 7 games left before the playoffs. There is plenty of time to right the ship, and with this group of players, I do believe that they will. It doesn't take much to sway the opinion of fans, they win the next 2 games and suddenly they "are on fire". There is such a fine line between winning and losing. I am one to believe this current slide is due to taking the foot off of the gas pedal. They are/were comfortable in a playoff position and after losing to Boston and realizing that they won't catch them for the division, they simply are coasting into the playoffs. We all know that their effort lately has been pathetic. I would be worried if they were trying hard and still losing.

Personally, I am glad that a slump is going on now if at all, with 7 games left before the playoffs. There is plenty of time to right the ship, and with this group of players, I do believe that they will. It doesn't take much to sway the opinion of fans, they win the next 2 games and suddenly they "are on fire". There is such a fine line between winning and losing. I am one to believe this current slide is due to taking the foot off of the gas pedal. They are/were comfortable in a playoff position and after losing to Boston and realizing that they won't catch them for the division, they simply are coasting into the playoffs. We all know that their effort lately has been pathetic. I would be worried if they were trying hard and still losing.

Yeah I guess a slump shouldnt be that unexpected, since we've only had 1 real slump this season. This should hopefully make them hungrier and even further the "us against the world" mentality, which I think is the only way they can do serious damage is with this mindset.

Now there is only four games and coasting will get them a seat watching the play-offs. New Jersey/Chicago/Ottawa/Toronto. Will 2 pts get them in, maybe not. This is setting up as a must win against Toronto to get into play-offs. Since this is the positive thread I will not offer an opinion on that.