McCarron cut from US Jr. Team summer camp

ICEWATER77

Wow, what a d*ckhead. These kids are teenagers. You have to love writers who name names every three sentences to gain credibility. (Justin Bourne)

Yep, he definitely sounds like a "Richard" to me....

so mccaron's a big, slow, pillow-handed oaf eh? is this a "make or break" season for the big guy?

Some would say yes but he has three years left on his contract (assuming he doesn't get 10 NHL games this year) after 2014-15. It's hard to be in a make-or-break situation when you have that long left on a deal and have yet to play a professional game. Make-or-break guys, to me, are those often on the last year of their contract and if they struggle, could find themselves out of a job the following season.

Guest Stogey24

Some would say yes but he has three years left on his contract (assuming he doesn't get 10 NHL games this year) after 2014-15. It's hard to be in a make-or-break situation when you have that long left on a deal and have yet to play a professional game. Make-or-break guys, to me, are those often on the last year of their contract and if they struggle, could find themselves out of a job the following season.

Leblanc last year...

Leblanc last year...

Yep, a perfect example. Holland and Ellis in particular spring to mind this season as they're in that same boat (expiring contract and underwhelming in the minors). As MoLG noted above this post, it'll be a while before McCarron hits that point.

Guest Stogey24

Yep, a perfect example. Holland and Ellis in particular spring to mind this season as they're in that same boat (expiring contract and underwhelming in the minors). As MoLG noted above this post, it'll be a while before McCarron hits that point.

I really like Ellis. The problem is he's taken a back seat ride too with the likes of Beaulieu and Tinordi carving their way to Montreal.

I really like Ellis. The problem is he's taken a back seat ride too with the likes of Beaulieu and Tinordi carving their way to Montreal.

Those two aren't the reason he's in a make-or-break year. It's the fact that he wasn't good enough to play over the likes of guys on AHL-only deals (or AHL tryouts) that has him in that current situation.

Holland was my biggest surprise bust last year (aside from Beaulieu's play in Hamilton).

I hope it was just a blip and he does well this year.

Ellis just seemed in a funk and maybe he and Lefebvre didn't see eye to eye, but he has been underwhelming for 2 straight years.

I'm as down on McCarron as anyone, but MoLG is right in that no guy picked in the first round will be a bust at 19 years old.

That said things aren't trending very well.

As for the history of 25th overall picks, i find that kind of useless when we see a history of say the 33rd overall pick with Ryan O'Reilly, James Neal and Louie Eriksson. Does that mean that 33 is a better spot to draft at than 25? Of course not, and no one would argue that. I think you have to look at tiers for what a pick is worth.not just all the guys at 25. So you'd look at everyone from say 21-30.

Even then... yes there are more busts than stars... but thats not the point.

The point is that if you look around the NHL you have an exponentially better chance of getting a top 6 fwd/top 4 D player in the first two rounds than late in the draft.... whiile the chances of getting a bottom pairing guy or bottom 6 forward don't drop off the same way. For that reason, I'm always looking boom or bust for potential top talent in those rounds while we can go for a Connor Crisp in the third.

Look I didn't like the Crisp or Lernout picks, and I said as much at the time... but I didn't hate them the same way I hate the McCarron pick either. If you are gonna go for truculence, the third round or later is when to do it.

what will happen sooner?

1: Mike McCaron catches up to his size and developes into a solid 2nd/3rd line power forward?

2: impatient hab fans and media have him run outta town by the time he's 23?

3: spends 4 to 5 years in Hamilton and bolts for the Swedish pro league?

The real point to the history of the 25th overall pick is to look at the kind of teams who select at that point and how their mentality and mindset might be different than a team who selects at 10th or 33rd. There's a lot more boom/bust picks in the 24-30 range and that's exactly what McCarron was.

As I point out over and over, Montreal selected their first three picks based on who they believed was available. McCarron wouldn't get this pressure if he was selected 34th but Montreal didn't think he'd be available by then while De La Rose would be. And the whole reason McCarron wouldn't be available by then is because other teams value a project with his size. It's willing to take the risk on, especially if you are a contender with time on your hands.

I'll defend the pick even if it busts because drafting was so smart in 2013. De La Rose and Fucale are as good as anyone's first round picks in 2013. It was a good risk to take when we knew what to do with our early second rounders. That said I'm not convinced of him busting yet. He had a rough first year in London where he moved to a new league, he dealt with an injury and switching to center while playing on one of the deepest teams in the league. There's a not of intangibles there that give me pause to his season instead of immediately using it as evidence of a failing hockey player. Even missing out on the summer US team just makes me shrug. There's too much stock put on making that team when lots of guys have made it and busted or not made it and still had NHL careers.

Probably the best guy to compare Mike McCarron to is Brian Boyle, a 6'7" American who never went to Team USA in the World Juniors but still made the NHL. The difference is that Boyle stayed in Boston College while McCarron moved to the OHL. Boyle was 25 when he finally made the NHL. I'll be patient.

He is a big young kid. Let's wait and see what happens. It is far too early to make career decisions on this little data.

Yeah, after all, he's only one player. We're not in the same state of mind as 04-08 where we rushed development because we were desperate for a big winger. Pacioretty and Latendresse come to mind. When Pacioretty was shuttling between Hamilton and the fourth line he was labeled as a bust by some. Latendresse just imploded in a mix of celebrity, injuries and I presume the rich food of MTLs finest French bistros.

Screw that, put the cart before the horse, it is the middle of summer.

Patience is boring stuff.

McCarron must have some positives dosent he? Not sure what might be...token boosting by the Hunter's maybe bout it?

There must be some comparables who have done well (or OK) in NHL? But still must be quite low % he will make any impact with Habs eh?

Don't want to look at kids taken after him in the 1st round;

Theodore, #1 Duck d-prospect taken just after McCarron

Dano next, 6pts in 10 AHL games already

Klimchuk 74pts in 57games with Pats

Dickinson, #1 LW prospect for Dallas

Hartman #1 amateur RW prospect fro Hawks

Of all forwards drafted in 2013, who played in the CHL this year only 5 had less PPG than McCarron

Justin Auger, fourth round
Brent Pedersen, fifth round
Tommy Veilleux, sixth round
Dominick Kubalik, seventh round
Mitchell Dempsey, seventh round

Thats ugly

Of all forwards drafted in 2013, who played in the CHL this year only 5 had less PPG than McCarron

Justin Auger, fourth round

Brent Pedersen, fifth round

Tommy Veilleux, sixth round

Dominick Kubalik, seventh round

Mitchell Dempsey, seventh round

Thats ugly

Nasty :1vomit:

• 2 months later...

Went to the London Knights game on the 15th to see Connor McDavid and the Erie Otters play. Was totally shocked to see McCarron dressed for his 1st game of the season.

He looked great. In the first few minutes he was in alone on the goalie, dangled a bit...unfortunatley firing the puck into the goalie, instead of going shelf..he easily had the time to do so.

His skating has improved alot, he created several quality chances, scored a goal, was infront of the net all night, especially on the PP, and was physical dishing out a few hits.

He was easily one of the top 2 players in the game, along with Max Domi...dominating at times...more so then McDavid who seemed to have an off night (still had two assists,showing incredible hands and vision at times)

It was only one game, but im less fearfull of McCarron being a bust, and appears to better understand what it takes to make it to the show.

He also recorded an assist in his next game

Guest Stogey24

Went to the London Knights game on the 15th to see Connor McDavid and the Erie Otters play. Was totally shocked to see McCarron dressed for his 1st game of the season.

He looked great. In the first few minutes he was in alone on the goalie, dangled a bit...unfortunatley firing the puck into the goalie, instead of going shelf..he easily had the time to do so.

His skating has improved alot, he created several quality chances, scored a goal, was infront of the net all night, especially on the PP, and was physical dishing out a few hits.

He was easily one of the top 2 players in the game, along with Max Domi...dominating at times...more so then McDavid who seemed to have an off night (still had two assists,showing incredible hands and vision at times)

It was only one game, but im less fearfull of McCarron being a bust, and appears to better understand what it takes to make it to the show.

He also recorded an assist in his next game

I live in London. I haven't watched him play this year, but even at the end of last year he looked pretty good

I sure hope this guy can make the NHL eventually and take a regular shift. Even as a top-9 FW he would be a fantastic addition...imagine having both him and Tinordi on the squad. Yikes.

I have low expectations for McCarron and doubt he will ever be a NHL regular and only as a 4th liner if he does make the cut.

Scherbak will be a pro next fall and with a big year and training he may get a crack as call-up in 2015-16?

Timmins mentioned he and Galchenyuk had good chemistry, which also has to be a good sign (will it matter one bit, maybe not but).

I can see Crisp having an equal chance as McCarron to make it (and Crisp may just be another Ian Shultz/Andrew Conboy).

Guest Stogey24

I have low expectations for McCarron and doubt he will ever be a NHL regular and only as a 4th liner if he does make the cut.

Scherbak will be a pro next. fall and with a big year and training he may get a crack as call-up in 2015-16?

Timmins mentioned he and Galchenyuk had good chemistry, which also has to be a good sign (will it matter one bit, maybe not but).

I can see Crisp having an equal chance as McCarron to make it (and Crisp may just be another Ian Shultz/Andrew Conboy).

Sherbak looked like a child out there in pre season. He's talented, but has zero defensive skills. I honestly clinched my teeth when he had the puck a times, I didn't want him to get destroyed. There's no way he's playing pro next year.

Mccarron on the other hand has a chance of being with Hamilton next year.