The Powerplay

Subban got Penalty Kill time last year, too.

He also scored a power play goal the other night, and had an ES goal and assist the next night.

I actually think moving Subban to the second power play unit makes him more dangerous - they had their best defenders on when they were fresh against our first powerplay unit. Now you've gotta face the best shot from the point with either tired or second-tier defenders.

What? Markov and or Gonchar would not be adequate against the second unit of penalty killers ? When they have "their best defenders on" ..... Habs should match it with their best.............HA!, not hide Subban and wait for the "tired or second tier defenders" unit. Thats why he gets 9 million a year..........to go head to head with the oppositions best!

What? Markov and or Gonchar would not be adequate against the second unit of penalty killers ? When they have "their best defenders on" ..... Habs should match it with their best.............HA!, not hide Subban and wait for the "tired or second tier defenders" unit. Thats why he gets 9 million a year..........to go head to head with the oppositions best!

Is that why he is making $9m salary...good to know :popcorn:

It's about not putting all your eggs in one basket...same reason we didn't like subban and Markov together on a pairing. You split your top offensive threats up to make it harder to defend against them. If the second pp unit has the bigger threat on the blue line, you've divided your scoring. (Works better if your second pp unit is almost as dangerous as your first, such as when you're trying to find a place for Patches, DD, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Parenteau in two power play units, there is almost no way to make one line significantly stronger than the other.)

Their first impulse seems to pass, looking for the perfect shot and not being able to hit the net.

During the last pp they were together they must have made 6 passes back and forth to each other - before moving it to other players, eventually getting the puck back and missing the net by a country mile.

I still find it hard to believe Markov-Subban cant be a super PP pair? Overthinking-overpassing something not right since about last new year?

It's about not putting all your eggs in one basket...same reason we didn't like subban and Markov together on a pairing. You split your top offensive threats up to make it harder to defend against them. If the second pp unit has the bigger threat on the blue line, you've divided your scoring. (Works better if your second pp unit is almost as dangerous as your first, such as when you're trying to find a place for Patches, DD, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Parenteau in two power play units, there is almost no way to make one line significantly stronger than the other.)

When you put it that way, makes perfect sense.

The powerplay looked better for a couple games, then not so good against Detroit. I am not convinced we are out of it yet. Pittsburg and St Louis will be good tests

I think part of that came from the fact that Boston and Philly are lousy on the penalty kill (bottom third of the league) while Detroit was best in the East. If anyone's wondering who the second best Eastern team is, it's Pittsburgh...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, good to hear they are finally trying different PP set up, with 4 forwards at practice and Eller-Sekac getting worked into it.

Not sure I would go with 4 forwards but need to change it up, as it just aint working as is.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/carey-price-will-start-in-buffalo-habs-power-play-gets-a-new-look

Would Tangradi be a good option as a screen?

I actually don't mind 4 forwards on first unit. I'd have Lars in front of the net the entire time.

Yes indeed. I said that a month ago. In fact its almost a no brainer to try park Larry in front of the net. PP has been so bad for so long that when looking for options it is the first thing that would come to mind. For even a house league coach.

With having PK,Markov,Gonchar dont think dropping to one d on the pp is called for. As stogey24 called for, the first first unit park "Eller in front" first unit have Pax and Chucky on the wings. If you must have DD out there for the draw (drop chucky) Markov and PK/Gonchar

Guest Stogey24

Yes indeed. I said that a month ago. In fact its almost a no brainer to try park Larry in front of the net. PP has been so bad for so long that when looking for options it is the first thing that would come to mind. For even a house league coach.

Majority of Lars' goals have come from rebounds and being around the net. Definitely can't hurt having him posting up there

Majority of Lars' goals have come from rebounds and being around the net. Definitely can't hurt having him posting up there

For sure. Reward him with a ton of PP ice time if he is willing to commit to parking himself there and taking the abuse that goes with it. Tomas Holmstrom like.

I agree, the Habs PP should be a lot better, and that's always what's missing, net front presence, and it can't hurt. (Well maybe hurt a little with Gonchar and PK blasting one timers, but it's not like Lars isn't getting paid)

I agree, the Habs PP should be a lot better, and that's always what's missing, net front presence, and it can't hurt. (Well maybe hurt a little with Gonchar and PK blasting one timers, but it's not like Lars isn't getting paid)

Yes it should be. 23 games is long time to be waiting for a new look. Adding gonchar was an effort from the manager. Bout time for a new look op front with the forwards.

Guest Stogey24

Yes it should be. 23 games is long time to be waiting for a new look. Adding gonchar was an effort from the manager. Bout time for a new look op front with the forwards.

Well really what was Gilbert contributing on the second PP. It makes so much more sense offensively to run 4 skilled forwards on the first unit and then two offensivly skilled D-man on second unit. It's more balanced.

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but I don't feel like Gallgher is a powerplay guy. His bread and butter is hard work and grinding down low, which he does great at 5 on 5 and I know he goes to the net, but I feel like Sekac is a more viable option. Chuck-Plek-Sekac. Sekac was known for his shot in the KHL, we've yet to even see his release and from what I've seen in highlights, its pretty dangerous

Well really what was Gilbert contributing on the second PP. It makes so much more sense offensively to run 4 skilled forwards on the first unit and then two offensivly skilled D-man on second unit. It's more balanced.

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but I don't feel like Gallgher is a powerplay guy. His bread and butter is hard work and grinding down low, which he does great at 5 on 5 and I know he goes to the net, but I feel like Sekac is a more viable option. Chuck-Plek-Sekac. Sekac was known for his shot in the KHL, we've yet to even see his release and from what I've seen in highlights, its pretty dangerous

Actually don't see why Plekanec is on PP, he loses many draws and puck instantly ends up going down the ice. DD and Eller should be PP centres.

Eller, Galchenyuk & Sekac might be interesting young line for PP?

Guest Stogey24

Actually don't see why Plekanec is on PP, he loses many draws and puck instantly ends up going down the ice. DD and Eller should be PP centres.

Completely agree.

Would you have played Blunden on the PP in past years? They're pretty similar players, Tangradi's a bit better but not by much.

Ouch! Can Tangradi actually fight?

Yep, like that idea Don, and no, Plekanec doesn't need to be on PP, there are better options for sure. Sekac to name one...

Would you have played Blunden on the PP in past years? They're pretty similar players, Tangradi's a bit better but not by much.

Since the PP has sucked since ..? say long time; Yes I would run a Darche, Moan, Weise, or a Tangradi out there; with specific instructions, stick ass in face of tender, keep it there, screen and just pray Subban-Gonchar wildass shots dont catch you in the teeth or side of head!

Basically ANYTHING different should at least be tried, cant get worse can it? :blush:

Basically ANYTHING different should at least be tried, cant get worse can it? :blush:

Of course it can - they can start allowing SHG's at a more regular rate. If you want size in front of the net, put Eller there. At least he has the talent to play on the PP unlike Tangradi.