Reilly instead of Galchenyuk?

dlbalr

Apparently Marc Bergevin liked Morgan Reilly at the 2012 draft (just after he took over as GM) but decided to listen to the scouts and went with Galchenyuk instead, a decision I think pretty much everyone here appreciates. This tidbit came from Bergevin at the Prime Time Sports Management Conference this afternoon.

Source: https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/534440272831066112

Imagine for a second that they did take Reilly - how deep would the young defence corps be? (And which one would be traded to get the top flight forward to essentially try to fill the role that Galchenyuk is earmarked for?)

Bergevin also mentioned that the team doesn't use analytics for players currently on the Habs but they do when it comes to evaluating players on other teams.

Source: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/status/534438427551625216

Apparently Marc Bergevin liked Morgan Reilly at the 2012 draft (just after he took over as GM) but decided to listen to the scouts and went with Galchenyuk instead, a decision I think pretty much everyone here appreciates. This tidbit came from Bergevin at the Prime Time Sports Management Conference this afternoon.

Source: https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/534440272831066112

Imagine for a second that they did take Reilly - how deep would the young defence corps be? (And which one would be traded to get the top flight forward to essentially try to fill the role that Galchenyuk is earmarked for?)

Bergevin also mentioned that the team doesn't use analytics for players currently on the Habs but they do when it comes to evaluating players on other teams.

Source: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/status/534438427551625216

Cool. Good choice by scouts. Habs have not drafted a forward that turned into a star since Koivu in 93. They were long over due. Good scouting on that one.

I think Reilly is gonna be a super d-man and pain in butt for Habs for long time.

I was a fan of Forsberg or Dumba for longest time, but settled on Galchenyuk as favourite or most likely, but thought Columbus might take him at #2.

With Reilly on shitty team and being a d-man with tons to learn, he will be a bit slower to develop than Galchenyuk, but a slick puck-mover and super skater like he is should be a good one.

I wanted Galchenyuk, and was scared ****less Grigorenko might get taken. Guess I should have known how smart scouts are as he slid out of the top 10. Galchenyuk regardless I think is a good pick, because he was taken at 3, and seems to be shaping up to at least top 3 talent in his draft class. Could even turn out to be the best.

I wanted Galchenyuk, and was scared ****less Grigorenko might get taken. Guess I should have known how smart scouts are as he slid out of the top 10. Galchenyuk regardless I think is a good pick, because he was taken at 3, and seems to be shaping up to at least top 3 talent in his draft class. Could even turn out to be the best.

Seems Forsberg, Trouba would of been a worthy choice also and I wouldn't write off Murray-Yakupov yet, but Grigorenko seems to of floundered (but haven't followed him much)

But Alex seems to be one shifty skilled dude and he and Gallagher are fun to watch! :hyper:

I'd still try and see if grigerenko is available. I think a change of scenery would probably help him like it did for Forsberg.

Seems Forsberg, Trouba would of been a worthy choice also and I wouldn't write off Murray-Yakupov yet, but Grigorenko seems to of floundered (but haven't followed him much)

But Alex seems to be one shifty skilled dude and he and Gallagher are fun to watch! :hyper:

No doubt Forsberg is a great player, but it's also a tiny sample size for him. A hot start to this season isn't necessarily a good representation (although he has been extremely impressive) he could cool significantly.

No doubt Forsberg is a great player, but it's also a tiny sample size for him. A hot start to this season isn't necessarily a good representation (although he has been extremely impressive) he could cool significantly.

I doubt it

I think we are extremely lucky that Chucky fell to us at number 3. I remember jumping up and fist pumping when Columbus took Murray, knowing we would select this future stud. I'm glad that we looked past the fact that he missed basically the entire season prior to the draft and had surgery, and seen the player he is and will become.

• Upvote 1

I remember all of the rumours. None of them said Reilly. Everyone said the Habs were either taking Grigerenko (QMJHL superstar) or Teuravainen (Finn, "next Koivu") and having followed the Sting a bit, I wanted either Nail or Alex.

I still think Nail Yakupov has ever bit of talent and tenacity to be a superstar winger in the league but it'll never happen in Edmonton.

I still think Nail Yakupov has ever bit of talent and tenacity to be a superstar winger in the league but it'll never happen in Edmonton.

There is no doubt in my mind either, and yeah Edm is where good players go to be mediocre these days...

There is no doubt in my mind either, and yeah Edm is where good players go to be mediocre these days...

I remember Eberle, when he came into the league, everyone was certain he was gonna develop into a two way winger with elite offensive potential. Instead he's turned into a one way shooter. If he wants to make it even close to his career potential he needs to get the heck outta there.

I'd still try and see if grigerenko is available. I think a change of scenery would probably help him like it did for Forsberg.

The change of scenery really didn't matter for Forsberg, he never played a second for the Capitals or their farm team. Usually you have to play and struggle with a team before you can suggest a player could benefit from a change of scenery.

Given the team's long-standing weakness down the middle, I think passing on Galchenyuk would have been massively deflating for the fan-base and probably would have seriously dented the aura of positivity surrounding Bergevin. Even I, who pay little attention to amateur prospects, was pulling passionately for the Galy pick. That said, it was a damned good draft class and in the long run you couldn't really do wrong with most of those guys (except maybe Yakupov??)

I am not really basing Forsberg on this years play (but yes he is doing great to start season), last year were positive reports on him and his development from Nashville and I was laughing at Caps from dealing away a top prospect.

I remember all of the rumours. None of them said Reilly. Everyone said the Habs were either taking Grigerenko (QMJHL superstar) or Teuravainen (Finn, "next Koivu") and having followed the Sting a bit, I wanted either Nail or Alex.

Yes. Reilly wasn't considered a top pick, but top 10 for sure and he was some slick with Moose Jaw.

Really not sure how Nail will end up doing?

Given the team's long-standing weakness down the middle, I think passing on Galchenyuk would have been massively deflating for the fan-base and probably would have seriously dented the aura of positivity surrounding Bergevin. Even I, who pay little attention to amateur prospects, was pulling passionately for the Galy pick. That said, it was a damned good draft class and in the long run you couldn't really do wrong with most of those guys (except maybe Yakupov??)

Yakupov just keeps picking up bad habits he never had as a forward in Sarnia. In Sarnia he was dominant. In Edmonton he's a floater.

Everyone turns into floaters in Edmonton. ESPN listed Dallas Eakins as the worst coach in the league. They are 100% correct.