Who will be the big season surprise?

I'm going to say Diaz. I've long been stating that he was a lot better than most gave him credit for last year and I expect he will take a step forward this season. Will he move into the top-4? Perhaps not but it's my expectation that people won't loop him in the same group as Weber in terms of trade-ability by the time the end of April rolls around.

Totally agree.

How different our blue line looks this year even without Subban. Diaz and Emelin stepping up. From the 3 games I saw, I'm gonna have to say Diaz. Did anyone else see him leading the NHL in pts for a defenseman at all?

It has to be and will continue to be Markov! He is back, the PP is back. It is an absolute joy watching him run the PP the way only he can. Wait until he has PK's cannon to unload to! Is anyone questioning his worth today? He is still an elite d-man, the best in the league. Well I may be biased. So many questions and he has answered them all.

It's only three games and the two wins have been against Dumb and Dumber, but could it be that the biggest surprise is Therrien and the fact he's learned how to coach? Quite the 180 from last time he was here!

It's only three games and the two wins have been against Dumb and Dumber, but could it be that the biggest surprise is Therrien and the fact he's learned how to coach? Quite the 180 from last time he was here!

Therrien coached one of the weakest eras in Montreal history. We only made the playoffs in 2001 because Jose Theodore became a Super Saiyan.

I think we're drawing premature conclusions based on two nice wins. And I always said Therrien's first year would be his best year, because the players will be so highly motivated and malleable after last season's debacle.

Still, as much as Therrien was human garbage in his first tenure with us and sheer medicority with the Penguins, you do have to allow for the possibility of learning. Third time could be a charm for the guy. But next season will be a truer indicator of his abilities or lack thereof.

Therrien's system is a huge improvement on last years. Last year I spent game after game pulling my hair out as we stopped attacking and watched our leads disappear. This year we are staying on the attack so far. The young guys are buying in and so are the vets. It seems to be working so far.

Markov is back! I am elated by his play so far. With a healthy Markov last year we would have made the playoffs and missed out on Galy. Talk about a silver lining!!!

I still say Markov's return to all-star form is the biggest surprise.

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this back, I noted I mentioned Cube as my biggest surprise. He hasn't been, though I'm pleased to say he's been steady and effective as I expected. There have, however, been much bigger surprises.

Therrien really *has* learned how to coach. His system is what this team has been sorely lacking for... well, a decade or so. Consider the goal Eller scored the other night: Dumont gets the puck down low and, rather than cycle it to whomever is furthest from the net to maintain "possession," he attacks the net. We get a rebound. In recent years, that would have been handily scooped up by a defender or the goalie and we've lost our chance. This time Eller comes net-crashing (the key word in our play, IMO) and scores a scrappy goal.

Other surprises: Gallagher. Holy carp that kid can swim with the big fish! Reminds me of Theo Fleury.

Galchenyuk: As an 18-year old kid, he's doing a fine job out there, and he's showing tantalizing flashes of future brilliance.

Bourque: Last season's ultimate nightmare is a bull this year. Literally. He's playing like Cole of last season with a cheaper contract and lower age.

Subban: Which shouldn't really be a surprise, but in the last handful of games he's gone from 20 minute guy to top dog and only getting better. Plus, ring the bonus bells, he can finally shoot!

Prust: I knew he was good, but not this good. He's almost Chris Nilan good in that he's intimidating, can fight, and he can seriously *play!*

My biggest surprise, though, is the guy I'd thought was going to break out big time last season, and that's Eller. He's been our best player on more than a few nights, and it's a testament to MB and MT that he's playing ostensibly the third line because he has two centres ahead of him on the depth chart! I give a lot of credit to Therrien here who has obviously mined deep in the Eller-field and found the diamonds that we've glimpsed in the past.

Love to hear everyone else's thoughts here.

You recap it well Colin.

About Eller, he also credits the sport psychologist the Habs hired this season as being a good help. So Kudos to Therrien for helping Eller define his role, but also Bergevin for surrounding their personal with all they need to progress.

I'm very pleased to see Markov playing that well after being for so long on the sideline and a not-so-impressive stint in the KHL.

My biggest surprise so far has been Diaz. Kudos to Brian and other for predicting it. I've never seen it coming.

I thought we'd rely more heavily on Bouillon. It's great to have him there as a depth dman rather than on our #1 pair. Gives the Habs tremendous stability. I really like Emelin and glad he's finding his niche in America. Markov's role is certainly primordial. Great to see everything lining up for once and that the Habs can enjoy success. Now here's hoping it translates in the playoffs.

Biggest surprise this year has been the two kids.. Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I thought Galchenyuk had a chance to be special right from day 1 and he has been, but Gallagher has been incredible. His desire and work ethic are a refreshing addition to the team.

100% agree.

I was leery if having them handled like Lats, Ribs, SK74, Maxpac.

MT has also surprised me, but he needs to win a round or two, before I forgive him for the bench minor that cost us.

He seems to be doing a lot of little things right, like having two centers on the ice for a key defensive zone faceoff, or making use of the available timeouts. The kind of thing at that too many habs coaches from Julien, Gainey, carbo, Martin regularly overlooked.

Biggest surprise this year has been the two kids.. Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I thought Galchenyuk had a chance to be special right from day 1 and he has been, but Gallagher has been incredible. His desire and work ethic are a refreshing addition to the team.