Feb. 27, 2013 - Habs @ Leafs

bar

Lol, doug McLean defending Phaneuf for not fighting our tough guy, Prust. Says Prust should fight Orr since Habs refused to fight Orr, etc.

This ignores:

1 we have no tough guy that compares to the thugs on the Leafs bottom line.

2 Phaneuf was running around all night making questionable hits, especially on our small players.

3 Phaneuf took a shot at Prust.

Even Cherry says Phaneuf should have fought as he was asking for it, running around, then chickened out.

Only got to see the last 1/2 of the game but what I saw looked good. got nervous when it was tied 2-2 but the boys came through again. I think Carey would like to have that one back. Did not see much of ryder but it will take a game or two to fit in. Did not notice that Cole was missing but then he has been missing all year. Time to move Gionta for some size, although nice empty netter on a complete screw up by the entire leafs team including the coach.

You can see the mindset of Carlyle when you see Orr had almost 15 minutes of ice time. A player who didn't play the biggest part of last season because without fighting he is useless. Orr was challenging Prust all night long, trying to get a repeat of the last showdown in Montreal where emotions got the best of us and we fell apart.

We played a level-headed game, didn't get caught up in the Leafs brawl fest they were trying to start all night. Ended up the score reflected the effort we put into playing actual hockey. I still think it was laughable how Phaneuf prides himself in his tough play, challenges Prust, then picks up his stick and skates away. That was just a shade better than this other priceless Phaneuf moment.

The running theme on Hockey Central are what the leafs did wrong, bad calls by the refs, and Prust/Phaneuf. No discussion of how well the Habs played, How well they are doing this year, our kids, the trade, or our revenge... Its like we were generic opponent number three being discussed on Leaf radio....

Oh how I wish we could get a real national broadcaster that treated the leafs as just one of seven Canadian teams, not their home team.

Sigh....

And no, I dont think I should have to watch RDS...

• Upvote 1

Only got to see the last 1/2 of the game but what I saw looked good. got nervous when it was tied 2-2 but the boys came through again. I think Carey would like to have that one back. Did not see much of ryder but it will take a game or two to fit in. Did not notice that Cole was missing but then he has been missing all year. Time to move Gionta for some size, although nice empty netter on a complete screw up by the entire leafs team including the coach.

Funny enough it wont show as an empty net goal because Scrivens hadn't made it to the bench yet.

Just looked up the boxscore on NHL.com and I gotta give credit to Therrian. He rolled 4 lines. 14-17 minutes for nearly everyone in the top 3 lines, exception being Wolvie's 19. He gave about 11:30 to each of the forth line. You know a team's successful when the coach rolls 4 lines, everyone buys into their role and keeps everyone fresh. Did the same with the defense, everyone played near 20 mins except Markov @ 25 mins and Kaberle @ 14 mins. Shows confidence in all 3 pairs.

Glad we have 2 days off, but it's this type of ice-time distribution that will make us difficult to take advantage of in back-to-back games.

The running theme on Hockey Central are what the leafs did wrong, bad calls by the refs, and Prust/Phaneuf. No discussion of how well the Habs played, How well they are doing this year, our kids, the trade, or our revenge... Its like we were generic opponent number three being discussed on Leaf radio....

Oh how I wish we could get a real national broadcaster that treated the leafs as just one of seven Canadian teams, not their home team.

In their defence, HC at Noon is a Sportsnet 590 production that is simulcast on TV. If TSN were to simulcast TSN 690's show at lunch time, we'd expect it to be largely Habs' biased. Yes, the show has gone more national in recent years (I remember when it was radio only with the Sportsnet regulars) but it is still a Toronto show so it doesn't bother me much that it's Toronto-centric.

Back on topic, that was a fun one to watch last night. The Habs played their system nearly perfectly and right now, there don't seem to be many teams that can get them off their game.

In their defence, HC at Noon is a Sportsnet 590 production that is simulcast on TV. If TSN were to simulcast TSN 690's show at lunch time, we'd expect it to be largely Habs' biased. Yes, the show has gone more national in recent years (I remember when it was radio only with the Sportsnet regulars) but it is still a Toronto show so it doesn't bother me much that it's Toronto-centric.

Back on topic, that was a fun one to watch last night. The Habs played their system nearly perfectly and right now, there don't seem to be many teams that can get them off their game.

They broadcast it on all Sportsnet regions. As I said, I want a truely national show. I gave up on the CBC....

They broadcast it on all Sportsnet regions. As I said, I want a truely national show. I gave up on the CBC....

I loved Hockey Night In Canada growing up in Quebec. Every Saturday I got to watch the habs play if they had a game Saturday night. Now I'm living in Alberta and I hate it. Doesn't matter who Montreal is playing, if it's not the Leafs, it's a Leaf game on TV. They even go as far as 3 years ago in the playoffs televising Pittsburg's games instead of Montreal's. I've gone as far as paying $3 a month, by far my most expensive single channel, for RDS so I can watch Montreal play. I can't remember ever seeing Ottawa vs anybody that isn't the Maple Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada when the Leafs are playing.

No wonder Toronto is the biggest market in the NHL when Canada forces them down your throat when they televise a Leafs game over any other game in that time slot. Even televise Toronto vs Pheonix over Montreal vs Ottawa. Not sure if they ever actually did that, but I know they will televise Leafs vs anybody over a Montreal vs Ottawa game except in the Quebec and Ottawa regions. Most of Canada is forced to watch the Leafs.

No wonder Toronto is the biggest market in the NHL when Canada forces them down your throat when they televise a Leafs game over any other game in that time slot. Even televise Toronto vs Pheonix over Montreal vs Ottawa. Not sure if they ever actually did that, but I know they will televise Leafs vs anybody over a Montreal vs Ottawa game except in the Quebec and Ottawa regions. Most of Canada is forced to watch the Leafs.

Toronto is the biggest market for the CBC, not the NHL. When you combine CBC/RDS numbers, the Canadiens are the biggest drawing team in Canada. When you combine US numbers watching Canadian games, Montreal increases further. Toronto, however, draws the best ad revenue out of any team in the league. That's why the NHL is always trying to negotiate more games for TSN for the Leafs. Better ad opportunities.

Toronto is the biggest market for the CBC, not the NHL. When you combine CBC/RDS numbers, the Canadiens are the biggest drawing team in Canada. When you combine US numbers watching Canadian games, Montreal increases further. Toronto, however, draws the best ad revenue out of any team in the league. That's why the NHL is always trying to negotiate more games for TSN for the Leafs. Better ad opportunities.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

Toronto #1

NYR #2

Montreal #3

A study was done the offseason where Atlanta got moved to Winnipeg to see what North American cities could support an NHL team. Even though Toronto has a team they still could support a team better than any other city can support one team.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/04/11/toronto_area_could_support_two_more_nhl_teams_report_says.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253294&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

I know a couple of people touched on it briefly but any thoughts on Ryder's debut? I thought that line in general looked a bit off and all in all, it was a pretty quiet game for him. Hopefully with a couple days of practice he can start to get used to his new linemates, when that line has been on so far, good things happen.

Funny enough it wont show as an empty net goal because Scrivens hadn't made it to the bench yet.

that is absolutely hilarious, and something I did not know. :D:habslogo:

Care to elaborate ?

Basically they are estimates, with little to no information behind them. This means they have been massively off in value when you compare team sales to their estimates over the years.

Also their formula is flawed... as pointed out in this piece.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=4784

Basically they are estimates, with little to no information behind them. This means they have been massively off in value when you compare team sales to their estimates over the years.

Also their formula is flawed... as pointed out in this piece.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=4784

It appears your right about Forbes according to that article, but I'm not that sold on his "actual numbers" when he says, "One of few saving graces of the 2004-05 lockout was the NHLPA’s inadvertent release of information that permitted the careful reader to assemble an ordered list of teams in terms of their regular season revenues." "Careful reader" doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. He also failed to point anyone at the Forbes numbers, yet points everyone at where he gets his numbers. I'm not saying he's wrong, just the story is on "mc79hockey.com" and any credible source uses Forbes. Tyler Dellow also a lawyer, someone good at making his point seem right even if it's not, just thought I'd add that as well. Not saying he's wrong, just saying you should air on the side of caution with that article.

Here is another source point out #1 Toronto, #2 NYR and #3 Montreal.

http://www.thesportmarket.biz/charts/franchisestats/nhlpowerrankings/top2012.html