Shakeup in Canadiens Management : Confirmed

puck7x

I can barely remember Ramage playing and will rely on Bergevin/LaCarrierre/Mellanby's opinion to hire the guy.

McTavish has exact same ex-con status, does it mean he cant or shouldnt coach/manage? Maybe so, but not my call, Ramage and his buddy leaving a funeral drunk and driving is inexcusable and poor judgement for sure, but will it affect his ability to mentor/coach young players, seems Habs Mgmt dosent think so?

The Canadian laws must be lenient with vehicular manslaughter. Years back, one of my acquaintances did that. When he gets out his clothes are going to be out of style. I'm pretty sure you're looking at 15-25.

The four years he received was the harshest in Ontario for someone that did not have a history of drinking and driving.

I think if Kieth Magnuson's family can forgive him then we should too. Far too many "holier than thou" posts. He is a good hockey man, who made a mistake years ago. Get over it.

So what's the lesson here? That you can be convicted of vehicular manslaughter, and get a cherry job with one of the top organizations in sports the minute you get out?

He's done his time, and his debt to society has been paid (by Canadian standards) but how does this fit in with the "character obsession" of Bergevin?

I know that in his post he will have to explain to the prospects about how being an athlete isn't just a "get out of jail free card." How can he do that? If he wasn't in hockey, he wouldn't be able to get a job making cold calls for my telemarketing firm.

Ramage may not even have gone to jail, but he chose to plead innocent, and according to prison officials, never acted as if his actions had the severity they did.

As for drinking and driving, no. I've never had more than two drinks in an evening in which I'm going to be driving (over several hours). I turned 16 and got my drivers licence in 1989. DUI was already a very big deal. But sure, people make mistakes. Ramage killed a man with his mistake, and has never even admitted it was a mistake.

Ramage may not even have gone to jail, but he chose to plead innocent, and according to prison officials, never acted as if his actions had the severity they did.

. Ramage killed a man with his mistake, and has never even admitted it was a mistake.

Really? Well here is what he had to say. Sounds to me like he got it. Of course he pleaded innocent, he did not want to go to jail, it isn't the nicest place to be.

Ramage told the board that he hasn’t touched alcohol since the crash and he is dedicated to speaking to young athletes and community groups about the danger of drinking and driving.

“This isn’t the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs sitting here, this is just another guy who got drunk and went out and killed somebody,” Ramage said, his voice rising and his face flush with emotion. “I can’t change what I did but I can change some other people … hopefully so they don’t end up destroying lives like I did.”

He called this episode in his life and the lives of those affected a “horrific nightmare.” He said he thinks about his victims every day.

“A tragedy did happen,” Ramage said. “I take full responsibility. I wish I could recall every detail of that afternoon.”

So what's the lesson here? That you can be convicted of vehicular manslaughter, and get a cherry job with one of the top organizations in sports the minute you get out?

He's done his time, and his debt to society has been paid (by Canadian standards) but how does this fit in with the "character obsession" of Bergevin?

I know that in his post he will have to explain to the prospects about how being an athlete isn't just a "get out of jail free card." How can he do that? If he wasn't in hockey, he wouldn't be able to get a job making cold calls for my telemarketing firm.

Since he already does that I don't think he will have any problem advising rookies on the mistakes he made. A lot of people have made this same mistake are able to put their lives back together. He has done that and that should an example to everyone. You can't change what happened but you can try to prevent anyone else from doing it. And who knows how many lives that will save.

The Canadian laws must be lenient with vehicular manslaughter. Years back, one of my acquaintances did that. When he gets out his clothes are going to be out of style. I'm pretty sure you're looking at 15-25.

McTavish was in Boston when he killed a woman in other car, but was 30 years ago and he only got 1 year.

Guest Stogey24

McTavish was in Boston when he killed a woman in other car, but was 30 years ago and he only got 1 year.

Wow eh. Didn't know that!

MacTavish missed the 1984–85 season after being convicted of vehicular homicide, having struck and killed a young woman while he was driving under the influence of alcohol. MacTavish pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol the night of January 25, 1984, in Peabody, Massachusetts. Kim Radley, 26, of West Newfield, Maine, died four days later of injuries sustained in the crash.[4] MacTavish spent a year in jail as punishment for this offence. While incarcerated, he watched most of the games that were televised. After MacTavish was released from prison, the Bruins offered to let him out of his contract. MacTavish accepted.

And the rest as they say is history.