Link: Francis Bouillon Signed to One Year Extension

Sure, popular opinion of most fans.

Play the rookies and let em make mistakes, but learn.

When Mgmt gets team to final four, maybe they played Murray for a good reason, not his corsi/fenwick rating.

Play the rookies sounds good in theory and with a non contending team, likely is smart and might help if going for McDavid.

But if fighting for playoffs, can they afford rookie brain cramps that cost games?

People totally lost it when Subban was benched for 3 shifts, because MT is egomaniac and was throwing the game, but also gets criticized for running out unusual, but effective lineups over and over that just kept winning.

Maybe he actually knows a bit more about his players than fans do?

There are always injuries.

I can bet you right now (and I'm pretty confident in this bet).

The combined total of games played by Defencemen not included in the Habs starting 6 in game 1 of the regular season will be over 50 next season.

All 6 staying healthy and out of the coaches' doghouse for 82 games? It just doesn't happen.

You're probably right, there likely will be more than 50 total to go around. Those all won't fall to the #7 defenceman by default though. Some of those will go to another youngster who gets called up when someone goes down. That's why I expect the role of a Bouillon (or similar veteran #7) would be more of a 25 game guy. Anything more would go to a guy like Pateryn (or Beaulieu/Tinordi if one starts in the minors).

How is that, he only played 3 games vs Bruins and they won 1 and if you look at bunch of the goals as I just did from the other 2 games, don't see how he almost cost series?

His fault on OT goal? Was it his man who scored on the goalmouth scramble? Seems a stretch to pin it on him.

But still, how did he almost cost series?

Really liked Jeff's post about earning your spot, and forcing coaches to play you instead of the vet because you will help the team win. That's all there should be to it really. There may be some validity in the comments about salaries, two way contracts and coaches preference, but the GM is the coach's boss, and it is a management team that decides roster as well.

When Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready in the management team's eyes, they will play lots of games, until then, you can never have too many NHL defensemen.....

Hopefully Tinordi gets 82 games in this year and Pateryn gets some injury call up icetime, not just sitting in pressbox.

Will Bouillon even get invite to camp?

If Beaulieu isn't better than Bouillon or Murray, why was he playing in every game the Habs faced elimination?

Which proves the point that Therrien will dress rookies if he feels they are better contributors than marginal vets.

The hysteria over signing Bouillon (or another comparable depth veteran) is simply unfounded. Such a signing merely gives us legitimate NHL-quality depth in the event that either Beaulieu or Tinordi are not ready, or go through the quite normal rookie slump halfway through the season - or if anyone in the top-6 gets hurt. 7 pages of online fuming over this is just absurd.

At this point I have a feeling Cube won't get a contract and will be instead told to try out.

I'm good with that. If he's good enough at try-outs, he'll then get a contract. If he's not, well, we'll make do with only 5 experienced d-men, + Tinordi & Beaulieu.

Which proves the point that Therrien will dress rookies if he feels they are better contributors than marginal vets.

The hysteria over signing Bouillon (or another comparable depth veteran) is simply unfounded. Such a signing merely gives us legitimate NHL-quality depth in the event that either Beaulieu or Tinordi are not ready, or go through the quite normal rookie slump halfway through the season - or if anyone in the top-6 gets hurt. 7 pages of online fuming over this is just absurd.

Correction! The hysteria over signing Bouillon is simply August.

I smell the Habs Trivia thread coming.

i was gonna say the same, but many have strong opinion on whether to sign or not to sign a vet depth d-man like Frankie B and as LM said it is/was August.

Correction! The hysteria over signing Bouillon is simply August.

I smell the Habs Trivia thread coming.

interesting change

I got my reservations about Sekac but am hoping for the best and many seem quite sure he isnt just all hype?

exactly sign him to a cheap 1 year, 2way deal, and let's get on to real important stuff. Like where will the parade route go?

• 2 weeks later...

So when I was doing the links this afternoon, I stumbled on another Bouillon report with the local French media suggesting they're still in negotiations with Bouillon (which I doubt is actually happening). At this point, a PTO seems more likely. Renaud Lavoie reported yesterday that Bouillon is likely to get a PTO to attend an NHL camp and that Montreal is an option.

Just keep expecting to hear is a done deal.

But, maybe Bergevin thinks he has several young-d that are capable of playing 3rd pairing minutes and I think most HabFans would agree; Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren are all realistic options to play with Weaver or be the #6/7 d-man arnt they?

Just keep expecting to hear is a done deal.

But, maybe Bergevin thinks he has several young-d that are capable of playing 3rd pairing minutes and I think most HabFans would agree; Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren are all realistic options to play with Weaver or be the #6/7 d-man arnt they?

Maybe they want one of the kids to be the number 5 and rotate out Weaver/Bouillon?

Guest Stogey24

Oh yeah. Last year Tinordi looked like a regular, and Bournival came out of nowhere to score a bunch of goals and make the team. The year before, Gallagher and Galchenyuk...someone is going to surprise us.

Sekac