Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

With the cap moving up thanks to the Rogers TV deal, the shitty Canada/Quebec tax rates, and when you factor in that bum Phaneuf making 7mil per, it's not unreasonable I guess.

I favour the longterm deal and believe 8 years @ $72M is the price. Get it done.

If MB had listened to me back on July 24th, we could've avoided the last 36 hours of bullshit.

If MB had listened to me back on July 24th, we could've avoided the last 36 hours of bullshit.

You and about 40 other guys on this site. I don't know if MB blinked or Subban folded. I think MB blinked. Possibly Meehan came up with the best he could offer. Which would mean that Pk really wants to stay in Montreal and told Meehan to GET IT DONE.

Meehan blinked; kind of.

He had the Habs painted into a corner, however...he also knew that if something didn't get done within the 48hr window, eventually the offer made by Montreal would have leaked (by accident ...hint hint) and public sentiment would have turned against his client.

For someone who has managed to become the face of the franchise as well as the poster boy for the league in the US, coming off as a greedy superstar could have become disastrous to his image.

All in all I think Meehan played it perfectly. He isn't know as the best in the business without merit.

You and about 40 other guys on this site. I don't know if MB blinked or Subban folded. I think MB blinked. Possibly Meehan came up with the best he could offer. Which would mean that Pk really wants to stay in Montreal and told Meehan to GET IT DONE.

No one blinked I don't think. Logic dictated that they were going to give this one more chance behind the scenes and to do so, both sides were going to have to move a bit. They moved enough to bridge the gap (or at least got it close enough that they hammered out the rest). It seems to me like it's a compromise more than one side caving necessarily.

100% agree. Was in the road when I heard of the signing and didn't find out the dollar later - only NHL satellite radio is the only option oldie hockey news in the USA.

Deal should have been done before the hearing, but we can finally move forward!!

I'm pretty sure MB blinked. My guess is Meehan was at 9.5m to $1 and MB WAS NETWEEN $7m and $8m.

No one blinked I don't think. Logic dictated that they were going to give this one more chance behind the scenes and to do so, both sides were going to have to move a bit. They moved enough to bridge the gap (or at least got it close enough that they hammered out the rest). It seems to me like it's a compromise more than one side caving necessarily.

Ya know Brian you are absolutely right but you also know that in any negotiation 1 side gets more of what they want than the other. As GM of some fairly large car dealerships for 30 years, that is kinda the norm. Ya win some ya lose some and some you just want to hang on to your shirt. I gotta think there is someone in this negotiation who gave up more than they wanted or they never would have gone to arbitration. If this was a mutual thing there would have been no arbitration. Someone went home last night and said " this can't happen, lets try this and get it over. It's not what we want but it is the lesser of 2 evils." So someone gave more than they intended. Who? I am not sure at this point, but in a couple of days I think there will be some indication.

If I had to guess, it's MB who caved moreso than PK. I honestly don't think he wanted to go as high as $9M/year. He eventually gave in since the threat of losing PK in 2016 was there.

If I had to guess, it's MB who caved moreso than PK. I honestly don't think he wanted to go as high as $9M/year. He eventually gave in since the threat of losing PK in 2016 was there.

Yeah - at the end of the day, who had the hammer? Subban. The Habs need him more than he needs them, and his clear willingness to undergo the arbitration process rather than sign a contract he didn't particularly care for essentially removed the last pressure-point the Habs had (since a lot of players prefer to avoid arbitration). PK probably could have gotten more on the open market - but likely not all that much more. All of this suggests to me that Bergevin gave more than PK did.

Yeah - at the end of the day, who had the hammer? Subban. The Habs need him more than he needs them, and his clear willingness to undergo the arbitration process rather than sign a contract he didn't particularly care for essentially removed the last pressure-point the Habs had (since a lot of players prefer to avoid arbitration). PK probably could have gotten more on the open market - but likely not all that much more. All of this suggests to me that Bergevin gave more than PK did.

Yeah that is the way I am leaning as well, but of course we have absolutely no facts to base a decision on. Well let's wait and see what leaks out of the woodwork in a few days.

If Subban was a UFA IN 2016, the bidding would start at $11m. Teams are trying to avoid top level players becoming UFA's. If a guy of subban's calibre was available, the laws of supply and demand would have led to a HUGE payday for Subban. That's why I think the Habs HAD to go as high as high as $9.5m now. How many elite players are there that their FIRST CHOICE is Montreal? Vinney choose TB. Briere, turned down less money from us and went to Philly, when he was still in his prime.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Stamkos in 2016. Is he going to be happy in a non- traditional market, or want to be in more of a hockey mad environment? If he doesn't resign, bidding will start at $12m.

All that tells you is that they let the gm do his job. The president hired the gm who while a great guy and heart and soul Hab, was totally incompetent. I don't think Geoff was really a part of that scenario since he was only 24 years old and probably more interested in what girls had up their dress than what Reggie was doing. :)

I wonder if Molson slept with Corey's wife?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Stamkos in 2016. Is he going to be happy in a non- traditional market, or want to be in more of a hockey mad environment? If he doesn't resign, bidding will start at $12m.

Stamkos going to free agency will basically be, "Whatever is max NHL deal right now is what you offer"

Pretty much every team in the league would be trying to offer him max deals.

For those curious, yes Montreal would have a ton of money available in the summer of 2016. Not so much for the Leafs ;)

That's going to depend on the type of year Galchenyuk, galleghar and are two blue chip dman prospects have and how much it will cost to resign them.

Stamkos going to free agency will basically be, "Whatever is max NHL deal right now is what you offer"

Pretty much every team in the league would be trying to offer him max deals.

For those curious, yes Montreal would have a ton of money available in the summer of 2016. Not so much for the Leafs ;)