How likely is it that Jiri Sekac will start in the lineup?

Neech

So many (most) think Sekac will be in opening night Hab roster.

Where does that leave de la Rose? Hamilton, SHL or can 2 rookie forwards possibly crack roster?

Zero or very very slim chance?

I wouldn't count on de la Rose to crack the roster (barring further roster moves or injuries of course). With Sekac, there's 14 forwards on the roster and it's highly unlikely they carry 15 to start the year. Send him to Hamilton.

Something to think about, I know we all want the shiny new Euro to make the team, but I think Weise deserves his shot at third line RW. That line Bourque-Eller-Sekac is doomed to fail because no one will dig the puck out of the corner. That's why every line with Gallagher works, and Weise fits the hard driving Therrien style of hockey. I don't think Eller has the talent to drive a possession based, cycling line.

Tough break Jiri! Phone Nygren, he'll let you know the sights to see in Hamilton.

Pac-Desh-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau

Bourque-Eller-Weise

Moen-Malhotra-Prust

Bournival

Something to think about, I know we all want the shiny new Euro to make the team, but I think Weise deserves his shot at third line RW. That line Bourque-Eller-Sekac is doomed to fail because no one will dig the puck out of the corner. That's why every line with Gallagher works, and Weise fits the hard driving Therrien style of hockey. I don't think Eller has the talent to drive a possession based, cycling line.

Tough break Jiri! Phone Nygren, he'll let you know the sights to see in Hamilton.

Pac-Desh-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau

Bourque-Eller-Weise

Moen-Malhotra-Prust

Bournival

3rd line RW would probably go to Prust over Weise...

I really think Weise can be a top-9 player. He had 6 goals in 33 games with Montreal. Tortorella was only playing his 4th liners 4-7 minutes a game. He averaged around 9 per game in Montreal. With his speed and grit, he's the perfect stereotypical "crease guy."

If we could get the Prust of 2010-2012 back, that would be a great boon to the team. The Prust of last year was terrible. He said he was saddled by an oblique injury. Surprise, surprise, he came back too early and reinjured himself. That's good news that it's not his shoulder.

I think you're right LM, Weise's speed and forecheck might just make him a 3rd line guy, here's hoping he is indeed that good!

I think you're right LM, Weise's speed and forecheck might just make him a 3rd line guy, here's hoping he is indeed that good!

he didn't look out of place when he was moved up to paciorettys line against boston. that line needs a big bodied forechecker that can fly too

• 1 month later...

Sekac is intriguing for sure, but I still would bet he starts year in Hamilton. See how he handles camp in a few weeks when Emelin/Subban use him as a hitting practice dummy. :nuts:

Sekac is intriguing for sure, but I still would bet he starts year in Hamilton. See how he handles camp in a few weeks when Emelin/Subban use him as a hitting practice dummy. :nuts:

I don't think he came here to play in hamilton, I also think he has gotten some assurances that he will play. Lots of teams wanted him.

I don't think he came here to play in hamilton, I also think he has gotten some assurances that he will play. Lots of teams wanted him.

He's made it quite clear he has no issue playing in Hamilton and that he picked Montreal knowing there wouldn't be a spot open for him.

Sekac didn't pick the easy way.

He was a good young player in KHL, but is still a step up and different game in NHL and a short stint in AHL playing big minutes would be nothing but good for him and de la Rose.

Bournival should be bit bigger/stronger/faster this fall and he can easily suit up next to Plekanec, or maybe Andrighetto deserves a crack there?

Bournival should be bit bigger/stronger/faster this fall and he can easily suit up next to Plekanec, or maybe Andrighetto deserves a crack there?

I'd like to see Andrighetto actually score 20 career goals in the minors before he's getting pencilled in for an NHL spot. He's a call-up option now but he shouldn't be anything more than that at this stage.

And unlikely Andrighetto will make the cut, but at present he is likely top Dog offensive forward and 44points (missing 10-15 games) on that team is respectable.

And Sekac had a whooping 11 goals in KHL, so by that standard, he looks a worse option than Andrighetto.

And unlikely Andrighetto will make the cut, but at present he is likely top Dog offensive forward and 44points (missing 10-15 games) on that team is respectable.

And Sekac had a whooping 11 goals in KHL, so by that standard, he looks a worse option than Andrighetto.

But the KHL is a much lower scoring league and many would argue has tougher competition. Sekac also has the benefit of good defensive play (Andrighetto isn't a great two-way guy) and good size working in his favour.

And if Andrighetto hadn't suffered injury, 20 goals would of been cake-walk and double the goal output on Hamilton, must be equal to 11 in KHL, Sekac hasn't defended NHL, which is more physical and smaller rink.

And Sekac didnt exactly light up CHL/USHL when he was here as a kid nor as draft eligible age did he.

Not that aint hoping for best, just have lower expectations for him than many seem to for this year.

And if Andrighetto hadn't suffered injury, 20 goals would of been cake-walk and double the goal output on Hamilton, must be equal to 11 in KHL, Sekac hasn't defended NHL, which is more physical and smaller rink.

And Sekac didnt exactly light up CHL/USHL when he was here as a kid nor as draft eligible age did he.

Not that aint hoping for best, just have lower expectations for him than many seem to for this year.

My expectations aren't all that high for Sekac this year but I still think it's his spot to lose. I'm not worried about his production (or lack thereof) back in his junior days, we all know there are some late bloomers. It's important to remember that the Czech National Team deemed Sekac worthy of a spot at the most recent Worlds; to me, that's more relevant than him busting in the USHL. And also, just because he hasn't defended against NHL'ers in NHL rinks doesn't mean he can't do it. Andrighetto can't defend all that well against AHL'ers yet, certainly he can't be counted on to be more of a two-way presence than Sekac.

Andrighetto was a hot-and-cold player for Hamilton last year. That's not unexpected for a rookie but it's also a sign that he still has a lot to work on in the minors. If he's on the opening night roster for Montreal, that wouldn't be a good thing.

Judging Sekac for his rough North American debut would be like, you know, how Commandant reigns hell on McCarron for a rough OHL debut ;) Only instead of just waiting for McCarron to turn it around, we know Sekac turned his career around. To the point where he became one of the hottest eligible free agents under 25.

Bournival should be bit bigger/stronger/faster this fall and he can easily suit up next to Plekanec,

Bourney is another guy who I'd love to see glued to Pleks. It's uncommon for Pleky to compliment another player's hockey sense, especially one so young. If Bourney's improved his offense a bit they'd make an excellent two-way duo.

Apparently Sekac has a decent wrister, which our roster needs.

The footage I've seen of Sekac, his wrister is just as good as Pacioretty's. Who knows if he can do it at an NHL level or not yet.

I'm really excited about him, but I also thought last season that Silfverberg and Brunner were gonna be top six forwards so... I'm no soothsayer.

Judging Sekac for his rough North American debut would be like, you know, how Commandant reigns hell on McCarron for a rough OHL debut ;) Only instead of just waiting for McCarron to turn it around, we know Sekac turned his career around. To the point where he became one of the hottest eligible free agents under 25.

I'm really looking forward to the expose on LWoS. His points are valid, maybe he can turn it around, but his struggles against junior aged players aren't very encouraging.

dlbalr is likely bang on, as per normal, but I will hold back my enthusiasm till I see him vs NHLers. Even cant miss free agents Shultz or Ericson have fizzled and I cant buy into hype for 'late bloomers'.

Sort of like NCAA football superstars, most just are busts.