Eller's arbitration case

dlbalr

you cant compare the two just because of their salary. briere got his money because he's clutch in the playoffs year after year. mb signed him for just that reason..and yes he did help us this post season. however, eller will get more icetime because hes an outstanding two way center. the egg line will contribute as a #2 offensive line, and earn their extra minutes. pleks line will be #3, but their icetime will be determined by the opponent. would I put the egg lines minutes against dd patch and parenteaus? yes anyday

Plekanec is Mr. Everything for Therrien, playing nearly 20 minutes per game last season. He's not going to be the #3 centre and see his ice time determined by the opponent, he's going to play more than any other forward just like he has for the last four straight seasons. I honestly expect very little to change for Eller's role this coming year. He'll be around 16 minutes a game again and won't see much powerplay time, at least at the start.

I also don't expect Galchenyuk to be on his wing (I think they'll try him with Plekanec again so that he's exposed on more of a two-way line which will be more beneficial when he shifts to centre) while Gallagher probably picks up where he left off from the postseason (with Pacioretty/Desharnais).

The youngster line really struggled defensively when they were reunited at times last season (which is why they didn't stay together long) so I doubt the coaching staff is chomping at the bit to reunite them right off the bat. Injuries and the fact that Therrien changes his lines frequently means that they'll get their chance but my guess is that we'll see Bourque and Eller start together to try to repeat their playoff performance first. You may have to wait to see if your confidence in that line proves to be right.

If the Habs want Galchenyuk to be a #1 center eventually, I think the best guy for him to play with at his age would be Plekanec. I didn't think about it being the way I'd go at first, but It makes perfect sense when grooming a player to be a long time Hab, and a pillar of the Canadien's lineup for years to come.

Plekanec is a consummate pro, no matter what people think his role should be, or if he should be traded, etc, he is a perfect example of class, and an elite player, in his own right. He paid his dues in the AHL, he has been a Hab since forever....

It would serve Galchenyuk well to learn all he can from a guy like Plek.... and maybe a line featuring them both, would produce more offense than most of us think....

Bourque and Weise centered by Eller sounds great to me....

• Upvote 1

If the Habs want Galchenyuk to be a #1 center eventually, I think the best guy for him to play with at his age would be Plekanec. I didn't think about it being the way I'd go at first, but It makes perfect sense when grooming a player to be a long time Hab, and a pillar of the Canadien's lineup for years to come.

Plekanec is a consummate pro, no matter what people think his role should be, or if he should be traded, etc, he is a perfect example of class, and an elite player, in his own right. He paid his dues in the AHL, he has been a Hab since forever....

It would serve Galchenyuk well to learn all he can from a guy like Plek.... and maybe a line featuring them both, would produce more offense than most of us think....

Bourque and Weise centered by Eller sounds great to me....

Bourque-Eller-Weise is a great third line. I want to see Weise get a chance to play 9-12 minutes a game. I don't expect 20 goals, but if he can go into corners and into the crease, that will be a boon for Bourque as well. I've said it before, but I don't trust Eller to be a cycling, puck possession forward. I would rather see him dump and chase. That's where Weise can shine.

Bourque-Eller-Weise is a great third line. I want to see Weise get a chance to play 9-12 minutes a game.

9-12 minutes is fourth line time (+ 2nd/3rd pairing PK time) though. If you want Weise on the 3rd line, you're looking at closer to 14 minutes a night (Bourque was 14:11 last year, Eller 15:57, both primarily were third liners). I could see Weise getting a bit of jump in TOI from the 10 minutes per game he had with the Habs last year but probably not to that extent. Maybe he slides in for certain situations depending on who the 3rd line has but he's probably best serving the team as a 4th liner.

Hard to gauge Weise.

Only three times in the playoffs did he play more than 12:00 TOI and he only averaged 0:40 of SH time per game. In the regular season he had five games of 12:00 TOI or more, he only played 7 minutes of PK altogether so I doubt much of it was that. There isn't anything glaringly obvious about Weise playing bigger minutes and faltering from it.

As for Montreal's minutes, they are averaged out a lot more than other teams. Other team usually have a line they lean on for 18 minutes of ES a game. Montreal doesn't. But Tomas Plekanec averaged 14:53 to Eller's 13:26 per game on even strength, meaning if Eller is playing third line he's still going to get his minutes. If Weise plays on the third line he'd have to be ready to play around 12 minutes per game on even strength. Could he do it? We really don't know. His career has been one season after another where he gets mishandled by John Torts.

That said I think the team sees Plek/DD/Patches/Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Eller/Bourque/Parenteau as eight of the top nine. It's then up to someone to win the final spot. My money is on Sekac.

Hard to gauge Weise.

Only three times in the playoffs did he play more than 12:00 TOI and he only averaged 0:40 of SH time per game. In the regular season he had five games of 12:00 TOI or more, he only played 7 minutes of PK altogether so I doubt much of it was that. There isn't anything glaringly obvious about Weise playing bigger minutes and faltering from it.

As for Montreal's minutes, they are averaged out a lot more than other teams. Other team usually have a line they lean on for 18 minutes of ES a game. Montreal doesn't. But Tomas Plekanec averaged 14:53 to Eller's 13:26 per game on even strength, meaning if Eller is playing third line he's still going to get his minutes. If Weise plays on the third line he'd have to be ready to play around 12 minutes per game on even strength. Could he do it? We really don't know. His career has been one season after another where he gets mishandled by John Torts.

That said I think the team sees Plek/DD/Patches/Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Eller/Bourque/Parenteau as eight of the top nine. It's then up to someone to win the final spot. My money is on Sekac.

Sekac can't beat anybody up...

So you're saying it's more important for a third liner to be able to beat somebody up than actually play hockey and maybe even score 15 to 20 goals?

Sekac can't beat anybody up...

So you're saying it's more important for a third liner to be able to beat somebody up than actually play hockey and maybe even score 15 to 20 goals?

Maybe not 15-20, but in the case of Sekac, who will likely put up 20-30 points? Absolutely. In the games between October and January, fighting is a big part of the game. The fights entertain me. The entertainment value is all that matters.

Chris Neil would take Sekac's lunch and run with it.

Semenko would also pound Gainey, but who gives a rats ...

Childish very low-brow WWF attitude of NHL. And one of reasons NHL is bush-league and has been a big joke, with regard to fighting being tolerated.

I can virtually guarantee that Sekac is not being brought in for his fighting ability. I don't think we really need a goon per se. Maybe a bigger version of Prust would be good. We have had 2 goons in the past few years, Big George X2 neither one of them seemed to be of much use to us. Georges Laraque wouldn't fight and Parros got injured. How about we just score goals.

Weise has Ryan White's fighting ability, he will, but will also probably lose.... Speed and grit is the reason he will be useful, not his fighting ability.

I can virtually guarantee that Sekac is not being brought in for his fighting ability. I don't think we really need a goon per se. Maybe a bigger version of Prust would be good. We have had 2 goons in the past few years, Big George X2 neither one of them seemed to be of much use to us. Georges Laraque wouldn't fight and Parros got injured. How about we just score goals.

Staubitz seemed a very good goon, but not a 'cool-enough' PR guy maybe?

Jeez I forgot he even played for us, had to look him up. Looks like he is cruising around the ahl for a cool 650 thou a year. Don't believe what they will pay in the ahl. Even it it is the Leafs paying.

I also don't expect Galchenyuk to be on his wing (I think they'll try him with Plekanec again so that he's exposed on more of a two-way line which will be more beneficial when he shifts to centre) while Gallagher probably picks up where he left off from the postseason (with Pacioretty/Desharnais).

I would love to see Plex centering Galchenyuk and Gallagher - talk about speed!

Guest Stogey24

I think there's a trade to eventually go down to our glut of forwards, in which case I could see Bergevin adding a goon. Maybe we deal with Edmonton and they send back Gazdic.

Gazdic just signed an extension. They love that kid there.

Semenko would also pound Gainey, but who gives a rats ...

Childish very low-brow WWF attitude of NHL. And one of reasons NHL is bush-league and has been a big joke, with regard to fighting being tolerated.

To me, the gap between Weise with more minutes and Brunner, I mean Brunnstrom, I mean Jiri Sekac Dopita Petrov is 4-7 points. In that case, I'll take the face puncher everytime.

Sorry, just get nothing from 2 goons squaring off. Is a good time to go for a beer or flip to another game.

However if Iginla vs Corey Perry drop em, I am not so much put off, but still think instant ejection and possible fine/suspension for every fight.

Guest Stogey24

To me, the gap between Weise with more minutes and Brunner, I mean Brunnstrom, I mean Jiri Sekac Dopita Petrov is 4-7 points. In that case, I'll take the face puncher everytime.

Sekac is yet to step foot in the NHL. I wouldn't be so quick to judge

It's pretty clear LM doesn't like the signing of Sekac and would prefer we had picked up a goon instead of a late bloomer with serious potential.

I don't buy into the hype of "the best player outside of the NHL," or the tempest in a teapot that happens when some undrafted 22 year old scores thirty goals in Hockey East, and all of the GMs rush to sign him.

These players rarely amount to much. We saw this with Diaz. Sekac is no different or better, in fact, because of the lack of hype, he is probably worse than the Fabien Brunnstroms/Damien Brunners/Jiri Dopitas.

It's interesting to me how sports parallel business with regards to how the decisions get made. Like this "draft and stash" crap we all saw at the draft in June. We blew two picks on college kids to micromanage the fifty contract limit that affects no team. In the hopes that they might grow up to be big time dynamos like Matt Read and Tyler Bozak. That reminds me of business, especially tech companies. One company has one thing, or thinks one way and all of a sudden every tech company in Simi Valley has a pizza chef because Google did it.