Sept. 28, Pittsburgh vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

- Last year was year 2 for emelin, he was injured late in the lockout shortened season. He played 59 games + 15 playoff games in 2013-14 and 68+12 last year.... this is year 3. I don't buy the excuse... sure I'm willing to give him a pass for the 13-14 season, but not for 14-15.

- Totally disagree on your assessment of the centre play... McCarron will never be a #1 centre... not even at the AHL level. He is what he is, a defensive guy.

As for JDLR, I hope to see him score more, but at this point he hasn't. He was good defensively in Hamilton last year, but Hudon far outscored him on the same team. Neither is an offensive player. On top of that Hudon was not the number 1 centre on the dogs last year, He was the second line centre most of the season.

Size isn't everything... size doesn't mean much when you don't have the hands to go with it and McCarron just doesn't have the offense. Again I'll be surprised to see him score over 25 points on the season.

As for McCarron being ahead of Hudon on the depth chart.... only one of those two players is in St. John's after being cut this preseason, and its not Hudon. I don't expect Hudon to make the Habs, but the fact he will be amongst the last cuts indicates his spot on the depth chart.

-correct LY was his 2nd season back. i probably should of followed up before posting that but i figured his unwillingness to sacrifice his body with bone crunching hits was directly part of confidence in his knee. i can relate since i 've had my ACL/ LCL done.

-i think its safe to say that jacob if and when cut will play the most of all C's. I watched a lot of bulldog hockey living here and their C's LY were very weak especially after jacob's call up. i said DLR would be the defacto #1 just from TOI alone TY and McCarron #2 and i don't think it will take more then 15 games to get there..

Also mike's body of work at C doesn't go to far back but far enough to be a first team all star and play an mvp calibre ohl playoff and help win a memorial cup. to say he'd never be a #1C is a little pre mature to say the least. he just turned 20 and his development is progressed by leaps and bounds since his draft year. optimism is required at this moment i believe!

i do agree that he won't put up 90 points like Sid or stamkos but his game is more tailored to 2 way play then strictly offence.

if you believe that hudon will win a head to head match up consistently vs McCarron by all means... but i'll put my eggs in Big Mc's ability to play staunch defence, winning his battles along the boards, stifling the opposing teams best C while winning all his face-offs and chipping in on the scoreboard.... to me hudon is just another DD 2.0 and McCarron is a whole other beast.... to me, mike McCarron needs to just continue power skating and work on his start and stop quickness and he's nhl ready. All this while keeping his gloves on! work on hockey not fighting in the A..

-hudon is still with the big club because of a respect factor and because he's in his 2nd year of pro hockey, not because he's out performed McCarron, quite the opposite actually.

yes hudon had more points then DLR LY but he wasn't even close to being as good... if you watched the bulldogs it would of been the equivalent to choosing DD over plex.

At the rookie tournament I sat with someone who is a pro scout for an NHL team. He is a pro scout (AHL and NHL) so he's never seen McCarron before. His impressions (unprompted, i didn't even bring McCarron up) was that he's a third or fourth line centre at best and at least 2-3 years away at that.

As for big leaps forward, did he really?

1) he didn't score in Oshawa despite being on that team.... the only time he scored he was playing with Marner/Domi in London, those two also made Christian Dvorak a 100 point guy after McCarron left.

2) he wasn't the number 1 centre on Oshawa, he was behind Cassels, and greatly outscored by Cassels. They tired him at various times with Dal Colle, and the line was just more productive with cassels. His ppg in oshawa were nearly identical to what Tyler Biggs put up at the same age.

Lets see him in the AHL... but I'm betting on under 25 points.

He probably does make the NHL, but if you are expecting more than Brian Boyle... its just not there....

And yes, he's a nice guy, I've interviewed him multiple times, I like the kid... I'm cheering for him... he seems like a good person and has always been accomodating. But that doesn't change my assessment of his skills.

And ITHOM.... I'll bet you right now... over/under 25 points in the AHL.... if McCarron scores 25 or less in the regular season... you donate $50 to the charity of my choice, if he gets 26 or more points, i'll wire you $50 personally, or you can ask me to donate it to charity... your choice...

I think carr will be with Hudon this year. They had too much chemistry last year. At least we can have this argument. For years the bulldogs forwards were too weak to discuss and we just talked about defense. Now with jdl, Hudon, carr, scherbak, mcarron, bozon at least there is something to argue about.

• Upvote 1

I agree Habnut, it will be nice to see some forward prospects in NL that may give us someone to actually call up after some development maybe, instead of seeing a guy like Dumont being the only one to call up.

I hope they sign Fleishman as a veteran stop gap until we see what these young guys can do when together for a season in the A.

At the rookie tournament I sat with someone who is a pro scout for an NHL team. He is a pro scout (AHL and NHL) so he's never seen McCarron before. His impressions (unprompted, i didn't even bring McCarron up) was that he's a third or fourth line centre at best and at least 2-3 years away at that.

As for big leaps forward, did he really?

1) he didn't score in Oshawa despite being on that team.... the only time he scored he was playing with Marner/Domi in London, those two also made Christian Dvorak a 100 point guy after McCarron left.

2) he wasn't the number 1 centre on Oshawa, he was behind Cassels, and greatly outscored by Cassels. They tired him at various times with Dal Colle, and the line was just more productive with cassels. His ppg in oshawa were nearly identical to what Tyler Biggs put up at the same age.

Lets see him in the AHL... but I'm betting on under 25 points.

He probably does make the NHL, but if you are expecting more than Brian Boyle... its just not there....

And yes, he's a nice guy, I've interviewed him multiple times, I like the kid... I'm cheering for him... he seems like a good person and has always been accomodating. But that doesn't change my assessment of his skills.

And ITHOM.... I'll bet you right now... over/under 25 points in the AHL.... if McCarron scores 25 or less in the regular season... you donate $50 to the charity of my choice, if he gets 26 or more points, i'll wire you $50 personally, or you can ask me to donate it to charity... your choice...

your bet is on but just minor changes. the bet is for $50 and donation is fine... McCarron* plays at least 60 games??

*its very annoying that autocorrect on the Mac continues to change mcCarron to macaroni

Your pro scout sounds like he's employeed by the leafs... assessing players before even getting a chance to see any sort of body of work. to say that about essentially a kid who just changed positions would like i already said be very pre mature... the scout would have yet seen the new C even play the position of C for any length of time and would be basing his assessment on opinion or his previous play at wing un less he was following the oshawa generals late season or their playoff run. and if so should of been impressed by the shift to C. mike is a completely different player at C!!

also, he was not brought in to oshawa to be their #1 offensive C. he was brought in to fill a need as a huge 2 way C and clearly did so with great success and still finished what 10-12 points back of cassels. i wouldn't doubt the difference between the 2 was PP points alone

i would be interested to see which of the Centers on oshawa had the most TOI in the final 1/4 of the season and playoffs .... because to me that plays the biggest factor in who actually is the #1.

just using our habs C as an example of DD playing with our top forward on our top line but clearly plex was our #1.

like i said before i believe DLR leads all C with TOI and mike will push for that #2 spot. and it will not take more then 15 games. i think hudon will move to wing...

the habs will force sly's hand here to make sure this doesn't fall off the development blocks...

I like the kid... I'm cheering for him...

Just so everyone knows, Commandant is quick to rush into conversations with his possession statistics and all the mistakes he made when discussion of McCarron having a good game comes up.

Who needs enemies when Commandant is making bets on the kid failing and saying he's cheering for him? ;)

Just so everyone knows, Commandant is quick to rush into conversations with his possession statistics and all the mistakes he made when discussion of McCarron having a good game comes up.

Who needs enemies when Commandant is making bets on the kid failing and saying he's cheering for him? ;)

That unfortunately is a very good point.

I enjoy his point of view. It is quite accurate for the most part. Big Mac has work to do from what I could see. I do like the way he plays the game, but I don't think the Boyle comparison is a stretch. I do think that Boyle is a major contributor to every team he plays on and if he can be as good as Boyle, I call that a win

I also fall in same crowd that McCarron is quite overrated simply because he is a 1st round pick, 6'10' 400lbs and most Habfans gotta hope & pray he is the big bodied difference making centre they have been crying for, but sorry to say he likely aint that at all. :ph34r:

You can bet against someone failing to meet lofty expectations of others, AND still want him to succeed. These thoughts aren't exclusive from each other.

Commandant's basically saying McCarron will a) be given the icetime of a bottom 6 forward, b) be put in a checking role instead of a scoring role, and c) will probably struggle in his rookie AHL season. NONE OF THAT IS UNREASONABLE. a) there are more talented players ahead of him on the depth chart, b) he's a better defensive player than an offensive player (and also there are more talented players ahead of him on the depth chart), and c) he's traditionally been a slow starter in new situations (and, oh yeah, there are also more talented players ahead of him on the depth chart.)

Are we really - on this forum - putting down a guy for giving an informed opinion on a prospect?

Are we really - on this forum - putting down a guy for giving an informed opinion on a prospect?

I work with him at Last Word on Sports and we go back so it's a bit of a different dynamic ;)

He hated McCarron being drafted from the start because he had him in the third round of his prospect rankings. So I don't really see him wanting McCarron to succeed aside from him helping the Habs (and if he doesn't put up first line numbers he'll still feel he's a bust even though the first round quality always drops after the first 20 picks). He's been calling him a bust pick from the beginning and calling him a potential bust now.

• 2 weeks later...

your bet is on but just minor changes. the bet is for $50 and donation is fine... McCarron* plays at least 60 games??

*its very annoying that autocorrect on the Mac continues to change mcCarron to macaroni

Sure...

Caveat if he doesn't play 60 AHL games... then the bet is cancelled and neither side has to pay.

AHL doesn't keep official TOI stats from what I know... so i don't know how we measure that.

The league doesn't but individual teams do. (They're just not nice enough to make that info available publicly.) Hamilton used to give the press people the stats between periods but stopped sometime in (I think) 2013-14.

AHL doesn't keep official TOI stats from what I know... so i don't know how we measure that.

nah i just meant as the season goes on mike's ice time will increase. sly will ease him in. But, after just 5 games its already started never mind 20 games.

need a minimum games played for this bet. you can still pull out of it because you will lose!