Best team since '89?

ICEWATER77

2014 and 1993 hockey are two verrrry different eras. points were aplenty back then and are hard to come by now. why are we comparing 14 dd and 93 savard again? ok then just for the fk of it...switch them. now, do you honestly think savard would be max's centerman? he would be in the pressbox. nuff said

2014 and 1993 hockey are two verrrry different eras. points were aplenty back then and are hard to come by now. why are we comparing 14 dd and 93 savard again? ok then just for the fk of it...switch them. now, do you honestly think savard would be max's centerman? he would be in the pressbox. nuff said

Gionta played pp, pk , reg shift just last season. He has one assist in 9 games this season. He was the habs captain up untill 8 hockey games ago. Savard may have been nearing the end but in todays game there is even more room for those guys than there was 20 years ago. How many habs recently played there last season or two stinking out the joint at the bell center. Kabby,Spacek,Gill, Hamelk,Gionta,Gomez, ..................Gomez went an entire calendar year with scoring a goal and never saw the "press box" lol

Savard's production was prior to the dead puck era. 50 points for a top two centre back than was not that great.

There was a reason that Savard was behind the bench by the finals.

Savard was the third line center in 93.

He was injured during the cup run.

Gionta now plays for the worst team in the NHL

Buffalo has actually allowed less goals per game than some four/five win teams like Dallas, NYI, Vancovuer and New York. But when you are currently averaging a mind-boggling 1.11 goals per game? Your team faceoff percentage is 40.9%? You haven't scored on the powerplay? I mean, I don't think Gionta was ever as bad as some Habs fans tried to paint him but if he scores 15 this year it'll be a miracle. Buffalo defence has produced two points.

I think it's going to be a three way war between Carolina, Buffalo and Winnipeg for Connor McDavid. I hope McDavid goes to Winnipeg. McDavid in Buffalo sounds scary.

Even if Carolina, Buffalo and Winnipeg finish as the worst 3 in the league, there's only a 45% chance one of them gets Connor McDavid. There's a 55% chance it goes to one of the teams ranked 4-14.

Hell, the Leafs could finish their usual selves, 4 points out of a playoff spot, and still win the draft.

Even if Carolina, Buffalo and Winnipeg finish as the worst 3 in the league, there's only a 45% chance one of them gets Connor McDavid. There's a 55% chance it goes to one of the teams ranked 4-14.

Hell, the Leafs could finish their usual selves, 4 points out of a playoff spot, and still win the draft.

I joked with some people over the weekend that Toronto will trade their first round pick to Winnipeg for Evander Kane, thinking they got a great steal, only for them to win the draft lottery and the Jets get the pick. "We didn't know the new rules," Nonis would say.

Gionta now plays for the worst team in the NHL

Buffalo has actually allowed less goals per game than some four/five win teams like Dallas, NYI, Vancovuer and New York. But when you are currently averaging a mind-boggling 1.11 goals per game? Your team faceoff percentage is 40.9%? You haven't scored on the powerplay? I mean, I don't think Gionta was ever as bad as some Habs fans tried to paint him but if he scores 15 this year it'll be a miracle. Buffalo defence has produced two points.

I think it's going to be a three way war between Carolina, Buffalo and Winnipeg for Connor McDavid. I hope McDavid goes to Winnipeg. McDavid in Buffalo sounds scary.

gionta on pace for a 0 goals 9 assist season

gorges.... 0 and 0

and yes Gionta was as bad as some hab fans suggested.

Guest Stogey24

gionta on pace for a 0 goals 9 assist season

gorges.... 0 and 0

and yes Gionta was as bad as some hab fans suggested.

Gio is still a 20 goal scorer, he's just on the worst team in the league. I can't understand why him and Gorges decided Buffalo as their location.

Gio is still a 20 goal scorer, he's just on the worst team in the league. I can't understand why him and Gorges decided Buffalo as their location.

Gionta is fading as fast as gomez did. He will never score 20 reguardless of what team he is on. He did not make 20 last season getting primo ice time on the pp, pk and reg shift. staerted every game, played last minute of every period. ot , 4 on 4 ...................... nolan moved him from the first line to the third line for a reason.......he's a small washed up one dimensional winger on his way out

Guest Stogey24

Gionta is fading as fast as gomez did. He will never score 20 reguardless of what team he is on. He did not make 20 last season getting primo ice time on the pp, pk and reg shift. staerted every game, played last minute of every period. ot , 4 on 4 ...................... nolan moved him from the first line to the third line for a reason.......he's a small washed up one dimensional winger on his way out

He was two goals away from 20 last year. I was pretty surprised New Jersey didn't go after him or vise versa. Finish career where he started and play with his brother. Its pretty pathetic when fans start wearing Buffalo Jersey with McDavid taped on the back

He was two goals away from 20 last year. I was pretty surprised New Jersey didn't go after him or vise versa. Finish career where he started and play with his brother. Its pretty pathetic when fans start wearing Buffalo Jersey with McDavid taped on the back

He's from the Buffalo area. It might be a lot like when washed up French Canadians want to play for Montreal late in their career.

first line ice time, pp, pk, 4 on 4 ot, ........ 18 goals? thats good is it?

• 3 weeks later...

i loved that 89 team and arguably 1986 to 1995 the habs were consistently contending....

its much to early to compare this team to them but maybe just maybe in the future we can look back at this young team as start of something special... the return of les glourieux after a decade of heartache!!!

Inept is a tad harsh..............somebody landed Price, Subban, Pax, Markov, Pleks ..... and as well as MB has done.......he inherited what are today, the Canadiens five best players. The number one goalie and the four guys wearing a letters on their jersey...were all Canadiens when MB was still working for the Hawks.

Gautier though....... yes he was inept. ha!

Gainey was flawed and gets far too much heat these days for his bad moves (Gomez, Ribiero) than he does for any of his good moves (Rivet for Gorges/1st, drafting Price, sticking to Price). He gets weird heat for clearing out all of the veteran players who weren't working and replacing them with free agents that got us to the Eastern conference final and probably would have repeated it had it not been for Pacioretty getting hurt and Boston getting all the luck in the world in a seven game series (stupid Nathan Horton). In the end, Bob Gainey wasn't great, wasn't terrible, wasn't bad, wasn't good. He was average.

Keep in mind he almost mortgaged the future for lecavalier. We got lucky the that lightening ownership were at odds and blocked the deal.

Gainey was flawed and gets far too much heat these days for his bad moves (Gomez, Ribiero) than he does for any of his good moves (Rivet for Gorges/1st, drafting Price, sticking to Price). He gets weird heat for clearing out all of the veteran players who weren't working and replacing them with free agents that got us to the Eastern conference final and probably would have repeated it had it not been for Pacioretty getting hurt and Boston getting all the luck in the world in a seven game series (stupid Nathan Horton). In the end, Bob Gainey wasn't great, wasn't terrible, wasn't bad, wasn't good. He was average.

could any of Gauthier, Gainey, Savard, Houle have swung the deals that MB has made? think about it:

Parenteau and a pick for Briere(landslide, pun intended)

Weise for Diaz(wow!)

Tokarski for Desjardins(what?!)

Gonchar for Moen(contract move so I won't say)

Vanek for who cares, nhl will never see him, collberg

and Malholtra?! talk about lack of leadership and here comes Manny! perfect

plus the recent draft picks!

we've finally gotten away from smurf-hockey!

....and those are just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more worth mentioning. so yeah, kudos MB

could any of Gauthier, Gainey, Savard, Houle have swung the deals that MB has made? think about it:

Parenteau and a pick for Briere(landslide, pun intended)

Weise for Diaz(wow!)

Tokarski for Desjardins(what?!)

Gonchar for Moen(contract move so I won't say)

Vanek for who cares, nhl will never see him, collberg

plus the recent draft picks!

we've finally gotten away from smurf-hockey!

....and those are just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more worth mentioning. so yeah, kudos MB

He has done so well with deals that I'm afraid that other GM's won't want to trade with him in fear of getting ripped off.

He has done so well with deals that I'm afraid that other GM's won't want to trade with him in fear of getting ripped off.

Nobody has ripped more teams off in the past 20 years than Brian Burke. He pretty much bullies people into trades. The only ones he really lost were the Kessel trade, Bure trade and most trades involving goalies (Burke is terrible when it comes to evaluating goalies).

Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom for Nik Hagman, Jamal Mayers, Matt Stajan and Ian White.

Joe Colborne, 1st and 2nd for Tomas Kaberle

1st and 3rd for Kris Versteeg

Jake Gardiner and Joffrey lupul for Francois Beauchemin

JVR for Luke Schenn

2nd for Reto Berra

The moves made to draft the Sedin twins