Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The rumor was yzerman was asking for GAlchenyuk+

No: Check out @NicholsOnHockey's Tweet: https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/670262957125701632?s=09

Friedman: I believe in the summer, #Habs asked for two second round picks for Jarred Tinordi. I assume the price is going to be less now.

I think that proposal is nice example of the twisted logic of fan hysteria, especially during losing seasons. It works like this:

1. Patches is named captain.

2. For completely unrelated reasons, the team starts losing.

3. Patches' leadership comes into question.

4. Patches is therefore identified as a 'disappointment,' even a 'problem.'

5. Therefore trading Patches for a fashionable hotshot becomes attractive.

The big mistake in this chain of reasoning is (4). Pacioretty is very much like PK Subban, in that he is IN NO WAY a problem, and in every way part of the solution.

Yeah you are right.

Bergevin wanted two second rounders for Tinordi last year. It's hard to tell what his definition of too high is.

Not really, this mark down marky. He is happy to give you all of his 7 th round picks in 2025 for Stamkos. What is the problem?

we are talking about two different rumors....

https://twitter.com/Richardlabbe/status/704012157726367744

Hâte de voir ce que TB aura pour J.Drouin. Le DG Yzerman aurait précédemment exigé Galchenyuk au #CH...

Why would you quote me talking about the Tinordi rumour if you meant the Drouin rumour you confusing beagle

Why would you quote me talking about the Tinordi rumour if you meant the Drouin rumour you confusing beagle

To recap

Stogey said: Bergevin said he tried to get Drouin, but the price was too high.

You said: He asked for 2 picks for Tinordi... I don't know what Bergevin's definition of "too high" is,

I said: In this case, the rumor was Galchenyuk+, so that might be what Bergevin is saying was too high a price for Drouin.

To recap

Stogey said: Bergevin said he tried to get Drouin, but the price was too high.

You said: He asked for 2 picks for Tinordi... I don't know what Bergevin's definition of "too high" is,

I said: In this case, the rumor was Galchenyuk+, so that might be what Bergevin is saying was too high a price for Drouin.

and it forking is.

and it forking is.

No kidding.

Stevie Y probably looked at us, figured 'major Conference rival' and asked a higher price than he would from, say, a team out west. Drouin for Galy is madness.

Or as, I believe MOLG speculated at the time, Yzerman had no intention of ever trading Drouin. He knew he would need him next year if Stamkos leaves and so decided to wait the kid out and figured he'd eventually come back.

People were calling, so he said, what the heck I'll ask for ridiculous returns. If i get it, great. If not, i just wait for Drouin to come out of his hold out.

Kind a like Sather with McDonagh, who said he didn't know who McDonagh was, scouts said ask Montreal to trade him for Gomez and...

Journal de Montreal is reporting that negotiations between the Habs and Shipachev are nearing completion.

It looks like the Habs were in on Czech d-man Michal Kempny as well.

Two things on the rumour front:

1) There may be a snag with Shipachyov; according to Elliotte Friedman, he may have to play another year in the KHL.

2) Speaking of the KHL, Bud Holloway is apparently on his way there as he has reportedly agreed to terms with CSKA Moscow.

Apparently his team is looking for someone to buy out the final year of the contract.... (which would cost about $1 million).

If the Habs do it, it counts against the cap.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Habs can 'technically' buy that contract out for Shipachyov, the player has to the one to do it. The player buying himself out is the normal course with European deals at the very least. Of course, Montreal could then reimburse Shipachyov for whatever the buyout amount was as part of the NHL contract which could very well happen and in that case, it would be added to the cap.

The fact that the last year of his deal needs to be bought out isn't anything new, that's been out there for months now. I'm honestly surprised it's coming up as an issue unless someone forgot to read the fine print of his deal when he filed the termination papers.

The Leafs did it with Frogren, gave him a large signing bonus, and he bought out his contract with the signing bonus. So you are right, it has to be the team paying the player, who then buys out the contract. Still since it has to go to the player, it goes against the cap.

The Leafs lost a draft pick in the process cause the signing bonus was too big for an ELC contract and was called cap circumvention. In this instance (Since Ship doesn't need an ELC) it wouldn't be circumvention.

Well, I'd like to see MB "find a way." I just have a sense - maybe entirely unfounded - that other teams manage to get the player they want more often than we do. Perhaps all fan-bases feel this way. But Montreal needs some good news: good UFA signing, a good trade, a good out-of-left-field KHL acquisition. Something.

• Upvote 1

MB needs to seal this deal...has been the runner-up settling for plan C or plan D far too many times. No more retread longshots or useless 4th line caliber smurfs...the lineup is in desperate need of at least one, preferably two quality forwards.

This one's now official. It's a two year deal.

Just wondering how much would a guy like Holloway make in the khl? if you know. I don't think they are big on releasing salaries?

Just wondering how much would a guy like Holloway make in the khl? if you know. I don't think they are big on releasing salaries?

Salaries for the high-end guys can find their way out there but not so much the lower-end guys.

This is a list from the 2012-13 season of the top-90 players in terms of salary (USD). Lots has changed in terms of the ruble since then though. I would imagine Holloway would come in below any of those despite being an import player. https://www.facebook.com/2112hockeyagency/posts/598663830188068

This is an article from 2015 where it suggests the average salary for an import is $300k to $500k. I imagine Holloway would be somewhere in there which would still represent a nice raise from the $175k he got with St. John's last year. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/01/envelopes-of-cash-and-5000-mile-road-trips-americans-in-khl-face-uncertainty