Habs trade Rene Bourque for Bryan Allen

Trizzak

great trade by Bergevin. We didn't lose anything and we picked up a BIG d-man!! I don't see why this would mean that either Tinordi or Beaulieu will be traded? Allen is a UFA at the end of the season.

We all know it takes longer for d-man to be NHL ready. Another season in the AHL for Beaulieu and Tinordi is not a bad thing. They'll get big minutes down there and we'll see if they're ready next year!

Allen and Weaver might not be back next year, which will clear room for the kids on the D.

great trade by Bergevin. We didn't lose anything and we picked up a BIG d-man!! I don't see why this would mean that either Tinordi or Beaulieu will be traded? Allen is a UFA at the end of the season.

We all know it takes longer for d-man to be NHL ready. Another season in the AHL for Beaulieu and Tinordi is not a bad thing. They'll get big minutes down there and we'll see if they're ready next year!

Allen and Weaver might not be back next year, which will clear room for the kids on the D.

don't know much about Allen anymore, not sure if he is washed up, or if he will be a good depth option, but great trade if only to get rid of Bourque's salary next year!

He hasn't moved anyone of serious importance aside from trading Cole way back when. I think he's still building the team. If Beaulieu moves, you'll see a player of similar age in return.

You got to believe that Bergevin is setting himself up for a high end forward, remembering that defenseman were the currency that everyone was supposedly looking for.

You got to believe that Bergevin is setting himself up for a high end forward, remembering that defenseman were the currency that everyone was supposedly looking for.

Could very well be, and two expiring contracts on useful defensemen is flexibility at any rate...

Dat Cap era....

This is a business move, nothing else. If anyone gets traded it'll be tom gilbert, not the kids. MB knows what's up

If it's just tinkering, this is true.

MB would not hesitate to move one of the kids, though, if the deal was right. Nor should he hesitate... a good deal is a good deal.

Seems like MB is in a "win now" frame of mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beaulieu get traded.

I would be vey surprised to see either of Beaulieu or Tinordi moved. IMHO Habsfan hit the nail on the head.

They're going to have to move near-equal money to get one if they want one now. This deal added nearly $1.1M pro-rated to the cap; between that and the big jump with Gonchar, there's not much room left. What little is left will likely have to be preserved for injury recalls, bonus allowances, etc. Assuming Beaulieu goes down, they'll get some of that money back from this trade but if they're looking to take another player on while adding to the cap this year, it's best if that happens closer to the deadline instead of in the near future.

Pretty clear that Beaulieu and Tinordi are deemed to need more seasoning. We may disagree, or think that that 'seasoning' is best acquired in the NHL, but maybe Zoot Suit subscribes to the Detroit Red Wings model of letting players fully marinade in the AHL where possible. He did have a lot of years in Chicago in which to observe that model pretty close-up.

Because both Gonchar and Allen are 1-year contracts, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at all about Nate the Great and Tin-Man not fitting into the team's long-term plans. The thinking may be as simple as: they're not quite there yet, but hopefully will be next year.

That we have stocked up on veteran help on the back end does suggest a 'win now' mentality - maybe not a bad idea for a team that's #1 overall at the quarter-pole. That veteran leadership and experience really helps in the crunch, assuming the guys can still play.

As for Allen, word around Vancouver is that he is a character guy with some 'mobility issues.' So, bruising defensive defenceman who will sometimes look like a pylon. Shades of Douglas Murray, perhaps? Hopefully an upgrade on Murray. But we got him for absolutely nothing, so it's hard to complain.

Bourque: thanks for nothing, now got rot in the California sun like the smelly turd you are. See ya.

As for Allen, word around Vancouver is that he is a character guy with some 'mobility issues.' So, bruising defensive defenceman who will sometimes look like a pylon. Shades of Douglas Murray, perhaps? Hopefully an upgrade on Murray. But we got him for absolutely nothing, so it's hard to complain.

That's a pretty accurate description of Allen. Allen actually will wear #6, the same number Murray did last year...

Seems like a great trade kinda can't lose. If Allen is awful the kids take his spot. From what i remember Allen isn't bad at all. bottom pairing and lets face it nate and tinner haven't ripped up the ahl so they can play a ton of mins pp,pk and take the step next yr. Both are very young still. Our d on the dogs will be very strong and if they can get into the playoff thats a great way to learn. I think Gilbert is the one that will be traded and should get a good return. The trades and signings MB has done sets up for good returns come Trade deadline.

I would be vey surprised to see either of Beaulieu or Tinordi moved. IMHO Habsfan hit the nail on the head.

Accurate i agree. MB is taking the Ken Holland approach....(atleast with the D he is) he would rather have them come up from the AHL ripe as opposed to raw.

Shades of Douglas Murray, perhaps? Hopefully an upgrade on Murray. But we got him for absolutely nothing, so it's hard to complain.

I read that he wasnT' as slow as Murray, so he's definitely an upgrade on Murray!