2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Danny Geoffrion was a Nordique, Hab, and Jet during the 70s and 80s, but yeah, he sucked.

http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=1883

thanks, I thought i had read of a Geoffrion that was a bust around the 80's.

So if you had #2 overall, and Grigorenko went #1, you'd say no to Yakupov because he's a winger?

Habs might have some wingers in the system, but noone who has the elite potential of Yakupov.

I agree, I prefer Grigorenko, but if you can't get him, but can have Yakupov, you have to take him.

Ditto.

My preference would be Grigorenko. If he went 1st, I'd take Yakupov - he would easily be head and shoulders of anyone we have. if we were picking third, I'd try to deal up, otherwise pick another centre.

We won't be drafting high enough to land Grigerenko or Yakupov...We should be talking about the 6-12 range prospects, IMO..

Given our recent wins I'd agree, if not lower.

We won't be drafting high enough to land Grigerenko or Yakupov...We should be talking about the 6-12 range prospects, IMO..

Why not talk about them all until we know for sure where we are drafting?

Anaheim won again tonight. We are 3 pts out of a top 3 spot.

Plus there is always the lottery that can move you up 5 spots (see Jersey last year).

And with guys like Dumba, Murray, Forsberg, Reinhart, I could very easily see Galchenyuk falling into that range, depending on what teams draft ahead of us.

Ie if the Oilers aren't top 2 they will be awfully tempted to go for a defenceman. Same with the Ducks, Canes, and Islanders IMO.

I just feel that we should go BPA if we don't land a pick in the top 3...All of the other d-man rated around Reinhart are more offensive/smaller type d-man...We have enough of those in the pipe line..We need a Weber or a Pronger type, IMO...The kid is huge, mobil, tough, and can QB a PP with his big shot...

Yakupov is a winger, no thanks..Grigerenko is going 1st overall, IMO, and Galchenyuk may be gone by the time we pick..Forsberg is another option, but again, another winger..Its Reinhart then Gaunce for me if we pick below 5...

I see the draft going like this:

Grigerenko

Yakupov

Murray

Dumba

Forsberg

Galchenyuk (Habs MAY pick here, but I don't think we will end up this far down in the standings..)

I think we should have a good shot at getting in the top 5 - if we stop picking up the damn loser point.

Is i've said, i'd take Yakopov. The guy is supposed to be a scorer, but got 9 or 10 assists in the world juniors and would easily be our top winger. If comparsion to Bure are valid, I don't see how we could pass on him and i think he will go #1.

If we do fall further, i wouldn't mind moving up. If we can't and there is a siginifcant fall off from the top D and top centre, then you take the D, but I think have to make every effort to move up in the draft.

We have had a #5 pick as our highest twice, in what the last 30 years or something. We took Svoboda the first time and then Price. I love Price, but I was really hoping we would have taken Kopitar at the time - I just think the draft outside of the top 3 picks can be a crap shoot and I think goaltending is the toughest position to judge when kids are 18. I personally would never be comfortable picking a goalie in the top ten. I still remember here in Calgary when the flames traded up i the draft with New Jersey to get Trevor Kidd, new jersey ended up taking Martin Brodeur 2 to 4 spots later. Roy was a third round pick. I'm glad it worked out with Price. hell can you imagine if Pouliot was still available - I'm sure the habs would have drafted him!!!! Althought it still could have been bad, I know there were a lot of french media types that had been pusing for Brule.

The scouting reports were amazing on Kopitar and I think he would have been rated higher, but the only question mark was that Kopitar was Slovenian and he was supposed to be like the first or second potential NHLer from there. I think that was probably why he dropped as much as he did (but we all know that it was a fluke that he turned out be a better player then the tough gritty north american players like Pouliot, Burle, skille and setogouchi. :rolleyes: i think Kopitar was rated #6 or 7, but i think he fell all the way to 11, so you never know how the #4-15 pick in the draft will shape up. Larson was seen as a potential #1 and at worst a #2 and he fell down to #4 last year, so you never really know. Hell Fowler fell out of the top 5 and was picked outside of the top 10 (14th??).

We've had many chances to pick a centre. I also really hoped that the habs would have taken Getzlaf in the 2003 draft, while my brother was hoping for Parise. It seems that everytime the habs have passed on a center at the draft its bit them and whenever they have picked one in the first round they have been burnt. Hopefully Leblanc can reverse that trend. But he isn't a 1st liner and it would be nice to draft a centre that there is little doubt that he will be a dominant first line centre.

Plus there is always the lottery that can move you up 5 spots (see Jersey last year).

And with guys like Dumba, Murray, Forsberg, Reinhart, I could very easily see Galchenyuk falling into that range, depending on what teams draft ahead of us.

Ie if the Oilers aren't top 2 they will be awfully tempted to go for a defenceman. Same with the Ducks, Canes, and Islanders IMO.

Agreed if the oilers pick outside of the top 2 and don't pick a dman, Tambelleni should be fired. They really need to shore up their defence, as does tampa bay.

Some more on Galchenyuk

http://dansallows.co...lex-galchenyuk/

And Dan Sallows top 50 list

http://dansallows.co...-top-prospects/

Good read as there is a one paragraph write up on each guy. As well as a ton of youtubes included (maybe about 1/2 the guys).

So Galchenyuk is American. I had no idea. I guess I just guessed he was Russian based on his last name. Interesting.

So Galchenyuk is American. I had no idea. I guess I just guessed he was Russian based on his last name. Interesting.

Born in the US. Dad was playing for Milwaukee Admirals (IHL) at the time.

Dad was a hockey player from Belarus. Dad played for the Belarus national team. Dad also played for Moscow Dynamo, then came to north america and mainly bounced around the IHL for years; before going back to Europe and playing in the Italian league, the Swiss league and Russian league again.

The younger Alex, lived in the US, Italy, Russia, and then moved back to the US at age 14 to be eligible for OHL draft and not be considered an import.

When given the choice of playing for the US or Russia, he choose to play for the US at the Ivan Hlinka tourney.

People need to remember that right now, Montreal is only two points up on Carolina in 15th. Two points. Trade Moen, Kostitsyn, Gill, etc. and I don't see how we're going to play any better.

Other teams might be unloading as I'm not sure how Buffalo escapes their downward spiral but if Montreal keeps Cunneyworth aboard and has as weak of a second half as their first half? Montreal should do just fine getting into the bottom five.

Bottom five = Grig/Yak/FLIPBERG/Galy/Gaunce IMO. We should not touch a blueliner for our first round pick. Would be a huge mistake.

Sure, i see Habs finishing maybe 10th in east as they just arnt that bad.

So will likely pick 8th to 10th and there are at least 15 great looking prospects, but only 3-5 that are centre pieces for teams to build around/ game changers. But is an interesting topic to discuss as there are 1000 different theories and views as to how to approach the crap-shoot that is the draft.

People need to remember that right now, Montreal is only two points up on Carolina in 15th. Two points. Trade Moen, Kostitsyn, Gill, etc. and I don't see how we're going to play any better.

Other teams might be unloading as I'm not sure how Buffalo escapes their downward spiral but if Montreal keeps Cunneyworth aboard and has as weak of a second half as their first half? Montreal should do just fine getting into the bottom five.

Bottom five = Grig/Yak/FLIPBERG/Galy/Gaunce IMO. We should not touch a blueliner for our first round pick. Would be a huge mistake.

Agreed with all of that.

Plus we should play Budaj more. There is no reason to play Price 70+ games in a season that is going nowhere.

If Budaj plays well there is more trust in him, and we don't have to exhaust Price next year. If he doesn't play well we fall further down the standings.

If you look at the schedule, the fixing are there for us to be in a lottery position almost, coming out of all star break. if I had a choice between Kopitar and Price today, I still pick Kopitar. That aught to heat up the love fest!

If you look at the schedule, the fixing are there for us to be in a lottery position almost, coming out of all star break. if I had a choice between Kopitar and Price today, I still pick Kopitar. That aught to heat up the love fest!

Would be interesting.

Habs would have a bonidfied star centre who wins 53%+ of his draws.

And I assume Halak would be the goalie

The bulldogs might not have won the calder cup.

The Habs would not have Lars Eller.

They might still have Sergei Kostitsyn.

Hmmmmm

Would be interesting.

Habs would have a bonidfied star centre who wins 53%+ of his draws.

And I assume Halak would be the goalie

The bulldogs might not have won the calder cup.

The Habs would not have Lars Eller.

They might still have Sergei Kostitsyn.

Hmmmmm

I don't like going back but HR29 brought those two names up so I thought I would put some context to it. Even back when this pick was made there were all kinds of decent goalies about but big centers were at a premium. When i say big centers, I am talking about front line centers who are skilled and are big. I agree on HR29 point on when you pick a goalie. It was true then and it is still true today. Until Price turns into an elite goalie that #5 pick should have been Kopitar. Just for the record, I said the same thing back then. I almost threw my chair through the computer when I seen that pick.

Exactly... Timmins went to Gainey and said, I have two players I rate the same as the BPA one is Defenceman Marc Staal, the other is Goalie Carey Price. Which one do you want? Gainey said take the goalie.

Even if Gainey said... I need the best Centre, who is it? We don't know what Timmins list looked like, It may have been Brule instead of Kopitar.

The scary thing is, I read the choice would have been pouliot if he was available.

I think if kopitar was Russian or Swedish, he probably would have been top 5.

But it was never going to be Kopitar.

The choice was between Price and Marc Staal.

So unless this is a game of unrealistic drafting decisions, I don't see the point.

I red they were hoping pouliot would be still there.

Exactly... Timmins went to Gainey and said, I have two players I rate the same as the BPA one is Defenceman Marc Staal, the other is Goalie Carey Price. Which one do you want? Gainey said take the goalie.

Even if Gainey said... I need the best Centre, who is it? We don't know what Timmins list looked like, It may have been Brule instead of Kopitar.

I red they were hoping pouliot would be still there.

Timmins was focused on Price and Staal as "franchise players". If I remember correctly, Savard was the one who had Kopitar on his list behind Pouliot and Brule. Savard was also furious that Gainey/Timmins went with Price.

EEEEK to the Huet thing.

Really did not like that guys ability to stop the puck.

Timmins was focused on Price and Staal as "franchise players". If I remember correctly, Savard was the one who had Kopitar on his list behind Pouliot and Brule. Savard was also furious that Gainey/Timmins went with Price.

I wanted the Habs to trade down and get Staal, I loved him still do.

I'm not against drafting another defenseman. If the BPA is a D, take him. That Reinhart kid is intriguing, but I don't know much about him. If the Shea Weber comparisons are for real, then he's tough to pass over. If you build the best blue line out there, that's a good foundation for long term success. Better than having scorers who go hot and cold and only help when they're on.

But it was never going to be Kopitar.

The choice was between Price and Marc Staal.

So unless this is a game of unrealistic drafting decisions, I don't see the point.

I don't know how you think you know that,but Staal wouldn't be a bad pick. What I do know, is we could have moved down to get Price. The BPA is a ruse for picking whoever the H they want.

I don't know how you think you know that,but Staal wouldn't be a bad pick. What I do know, is we could have moved down to get Price. The BPA is a ruse for picking whoever the H they want.

It was actually publicized after the draft that Timmins had M.Staal and C.Price ranked equally and when given the choice, Gainey said take the goalie.

2 more pts for Carolina.

Tied in pts with Habs now (habs played less games).

Still helps the tank though..

Iles got shut out by the Goose and the Leafs

Does not help.

CBJ lost

Edmonton tied at 0-0