January 30th, 2013 - Senators vs Habs

bar

The Habs fans are back to classic form! We win four straight, play a game back to back, and play our back up, and surprise surprise, we lose. Obviously, after reading this board and HIO's these comments are overreactions:

-Budaj should be waved after being a sieve in his first game in 9 months.

-Ryan White should be sat or off the team.

-The teammates don't want PK back

***Budaj sucks, let's face it. Not every team has Roberto Luongo, Robin Lehner or Brian Elliot as a back up. You take what you can get, but this performance was very bad, especially on the fourth goal.

***Regarding Ryan White. This was a bad call. His stick was held, and he was given a roughing and an unsportsmanlike, which was unnecessary for him to complain, and for the ref to give. First of all, the referees this year are calling the NHL like a woman's league. I wonder if they want these guys to play with something other than sticks? Second of all, White drives that fourth line. He is a good fourth line center, wins a lot of faceoffs, and is awesome on the forecheck. Should we give his spot to Lars Eller, or beg Andreas Enqvist to return from the KHL? If you think we need "more production" out of a fourth line center, well, you don't understand the purpose of a fourth line. Third of all, we need guys like White, he sticks up for teammates, and every good team needs an agitator. His penalties will be less transparent once PK comes back and the penalty kill comes together.

***Teammates don't want PK. Everyone needs to give the guy a break. Management is already on his ass after screwing him on a contract. They seem to want PK to be something else, he is a total player, a franchise player, and we divest so much of the time to send him to rural hockey "finishing school" where players are taught to be humble, unquestioning, and quiet. Why he wants to play here at all is a mystery to me.

The Habs fans are back to classic form! We win four straight, play a game back to back, and play our back up, and surprise surprise, we lose. Obviously, after reading this board and HIO's these comments are overreactions:

-Budaj should be waved after being a sieve in his first game in 9 months.

-Ryan White should be sat or off the team.

-The teammates don't want PK back

***Budaj sucks, let's face it. Not every team has Roberto Luongo, Robin Lehner or Brian Elliot as a back up. You take what you can get, but this performance was very bad, especially on the fourth goal.

***Regarding Ryan White. This was a bad call. His stick was held, and he was given a roughing and an unsportsmanlike, which was unnecessary for him to complain, and for the ref to give. First of all, the referees this year are calling the NHL like a woman's league. I wonder if they want these guys to play with something other than sticks? Second of all, White drives that fourth line. He is a good fourth line center, wins a lot of faceoffs, and is awesome on the forecheck. Should we give his spot to Lars Eller, or beg Andreas Enqvist to return from the KHL? If you think we need "more production" out of a fourth line center, well, you don't understand the purpose of a fourth line. Third of all, we need guys like White, he sticks up for teammates, and every good team needs an agitator. His penalties will be less transparent once PK comes back and the penalty kill comes together.

***Teammates don't want PK. Everyone needs to give the guy a break. Management is already on his ass after screwing him on a contract. They seem to want PK to be something else, he is a total player, a franchise player, and we divest so much of the time to send him to rural hockey "finishing school" where players are taught to be humble, unquestioning, and quiet. Why he wants to play here at all is a mystery to me.

Well said...after all the comments from habs fans, media, current players, former players/coaches, I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to play here, let alone someone of the personality, thats right PERSONALITY of Subban. Personality is something that is so frowned upon in hockey circles, want to be happy after scoring a goal? Too bad, sit down and shut up rookie, how dare you be exciting and bring fans to their feet. You also better not be funny and engaging in interviews, back in our day we had to give 7-8 clichés each interview or we were in the press box. I am so sick of MT talking about how he wants to improve PK as a human being and he has to buy into the team system, like he's some sort of alien, what a load of bull. The habs are going to take a prized stallion and turn it into a riding pony.

yes, no kidding. they got beat by a BETTER team. ottawa and the Bruins are the top 2 teams in the Habs division. IIt's a team effort when they lose and a team effort when they win.

I think it's funny people calling out single players last night. Budaj? Really, He is a decent back up goalie. The team scored one goal. The other time they scored 1 goal they lost that one also.

They are better than last years bunch, they will have ups and downs this year. One of there better forwards and better defenseman is out. Subban comes back over the weekend.

This team still has some holes to fill, they need some players who produced last year to start producing.

I want him sat for a game so Therrien makes it clear the bad penalties have to stop. No way do I want him gone for good.

I want him sat for a game so Therrien makes it clear the bad penalties have to stop. No way do I want him gone for good.

This. Especially since our PK has been so godawful this season. I'm ok with Blunden playing on Saturday, but I think White is a valuable part of our 4th line.

Emelin, not only does he hits a lot (leads the league by a mile), but he hits HARD. Glad he is in the NHL and to have him on our side. He's in the line of those hard hitting russians, if anyone can remember Darius Kasparaitis and Vladimir Konstantinov.

I hated Kasper, thankfully, Emelin is in no way like him. A knee targeting cheap shot artist if there ever was one.

I hated Kasper, thankfully, Emelin is in no way like him. A knee targeting cheap shot artist if there ever was one.

The sad truth of the league today is that you can be clean as a whistle like Emelin and still be accused of being a cheapshot artist and have teams trying to fight him after every big clean hit. It really doesn't matter anymore. Might as hurt the other team if that's the case.

ok we had a bad night last night. If it could go wrong it did. The sens got a couple of lucky bounces, and some "lucky" reffing. Our guys got robbed on some surefire goals by a goalie who is playing way over his talent level at this point. That will level out with time. They never quit. They kept coming . So file that one in the circular filing cabinet, and let's move on. Budaj did not cost us the game. White should have kept his mouth shut, but that is the type of player he is, passionate. We aren't going to revamp the team after one loss. Hey some good news I didn't see anyone calling for MT to be fired, ahhh we will wait a couple of games, maybe only one more. :lol::habslogo:

• Upvote 1

There was one real. Have a look at #9 :

Yeah, a lot of panic in Habsland it seems. Sheesh.

Subban is coming back. That will help a ton. Losses happen. Chill.

Yeah this panic is silly. third game in four nights... our production is coming from young players and pp both of which would be the first to get sloppy with a heavy schedule and we had our back up in net. Also had our best forward last season out of the line up and still didn't have last season's top minute d-man. So... I think this lose was 1 expected and 2 nothing too worry about.

We have started the season 4-2-0. Yes those two loses were bad loses... but this is still a solid start.

Edit: We are beating the weaker teams while the team is learning a new system and meshing with new teammates, Prust, Armstrong, Gally, Chuckie, Bouillion, and honestly Markov who most of the team hasn't played with more then a handful of games. Add in the return of PK and we should give a few more games till we have cohesion in our line up.

• Upvote 1

Chris, I disagree fully with the statement that Budaj is a decent backup. He had a 5-7-5 record last year and I hated all but a couple of his performances. The ones we won were in spite of Budaj playing. I was shocked that he was still here and last night was an example of why. He stinks. Even my 8 year old son knows it. Try using him in an NHL13. He sucks there too! He is not worth the price of plane fair flying him around. There has to be better available. We won't make having a shot at 8th if he plays 10 games.

Chris, I disagree fully with the statement that Budaj is a decent backup. He had a 5-7-5 record last year and I hated all but a couple of his performances. The ones we won were in spite of Budaj playing. I was shocked that he was still here and last night was an example of why. He stinks. Even my 8 year old son knows it. Try using him in an NHL13. He sucks there too! He is not worth the price of plane fair flying him around. There has to be better available. We won't make having a shot at 8th if he plays 10 games.

I wouldn't use NHL 13 as a guideline. It still rates Ovechkin as one of the top 3 players in the league.

The only issue I have with Budaj (and what do you expect from a backups first game) was that he is a,rebound machine. This led to a lot more pressure and some scrambling in fron of him. Price slows things down more.

As for panicking, I am. Too many more wins and we are going to lose draft position. I want McKinnon...

No, Drouin not MacKinnon. lol. Price goes down and we get a top pick, he stays healthy and they let Budaj play 10 and we take 10th. He does nothing at all for me technique wise. Never has. Sticking your legs 4ft past the goalpost does nothing but put you out of position and unable to move across. He does that far to often. In a shortened season a backup will make or break a season for a cusp team. We are to good to be last. That won't happen. Rather make the playoffs than finish just outside. Maybe he can step it up, but I don't want to bet the season on it.

I didn't base my opinion on a ps game, my 8yr old informed me he sucks on there. He also saw him last season first though and knows the obvious. Sieve.

913 save percentage last season

Montreal had one of the best forward lines in the NHL (Patches-DD-Cole), one of the best defensive pairings (Gorges-Subban), one of the best goalies (Price) and they still finished 15th in the East.

They were also still near a playoff spot when Martin was fired.

Something tells me horrendous coaching by Cunnyworth (which idiots still praise for some odd reason), trading away talent (Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Gill), key injuries (Markov, Gionta) and playing unproven players (Palushaj, Geoffrion, Staubitz, Campoli) lead to that spot far more than any rough goaltending did. Besides, I thought New Jersey proved a few seasons ago that you can lose your starter and still play as an effective unit to victories?

EA sports... the metric by which we will say if all NHL players are good or not.

Budaj didn't have that bad a game last night, the team in front of him sucked.

I have a hard time not judging players by HWL standards.

Montreal had one of the best forward lines in the NHL (Patches-DD-Cole), one of the best defensive pairings (Gorges-Subban), one of the best goalies (Price) and they still finished 15th in the East.

They were also still near a playoff spot when Martin was fired.

Something tells me horrendous coaching by Cunnyworth (which idiots still praise for some odd reason), trading away talent (Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Gill), key injuries (Markov, Gionta) and playing unproven players (Palushaj, Geoffrion, Staubitz, Campoli) lead to that spot far more than any rough goaltending did. Besides, I thought New Jersey proved a few seasons ago that you can lose your starter and still play as an effective unit to victories?

Excellent analysis. :thumbs_up:

I don't think wednesday nights loss to the Hens is any reason to worry. And NO, Budaj was not the reason why we lost, the team got beaten by a better team and some HORRIBLE reffing. The Habs are 4-2 to start the season, I'd say that's a pretty damn good start.

• Upvote 1