Line combinations?

SOOPAVILLIN

i play hockey as well, and anyone who has should know the difference between the 2 types of hits.

and two types of players.

There is the macquaid, chara , getzlaf, shanahan, clarke, keane, corson, verbeek, white, bieska, chelios, robinson, tucker, (the list goes on and on and on) those type of players that dont care whether the hit was penalty worthy or clean in how they respond.

There is the Pacerietty, Kessel, type who after their team mate is dropped, or getting up slowly they look the other way, or at the clock, or whine to a ref.

Anyone who has played the game knows the difference between the two types of players.

i get it, but are we talking the types of hits or the types of players there are in this league? getzlaf does not challenge every big hit thrown nor did half the players mentioned above... the questionable hit as well as the dirty hits for sure...

i get it, but are we talking the types of hits or the types of players there are in this league? getzlaf does not challenge every big hit thrown nor did half the players mentioned above... the questionable hit as well as the dirty hits for sure...

we were talking about players sticking up for linemates on the spot when they get run or dropped. (like chucky was atleast twice on saturday night against the pens)

as someone commented on here "pax would not step in for his mother". a tad harsh but point made.

I read the book when he first released it - I was in junior high then. Actually got his autograph at his book signing back then. Greatest hockey book and possibly greatest sports book ever!

I think it is the best sports book ever written. Read it when it first came out and read it again every five or six years. Always wanted the opportunity to get my hard cover signed. Someday I hope to. After Guy, Ken Dryden was favorite player. Still get a outta looking at the pictures of him in his original mask.

I think it is the best sports book ever written. Read it when it first came out and read it again every five or six years. Always wanted the opportunity to get my hard cover signed. Someday I hope to. After Guy, Ken Dryden was favorite player. Still get a outta looking at the pictures of him in his original mask.

That's up there, some other good sports books:

"The Professional" WC Heinz

"The Glory Game" Hunter Davies

"Ball Four" Jim Bouton

"Juiced" Jose Canseco (kidding, but I did read awhile back)

For me it was Dryden than Guy.

it was me...but you get the gist of my point. Here's max when the shit hits the fan ---> :surrender:

Oh yes i knew it was you, and your point was well made.

:surrender: lol

For me it was Dryden than Guy.

:thumbs_up:

So the blender it plugged in for the line selection.

MT will go mad scientist again. 473 different line combinations right up to play off time.

I just hope that Tinordi gets a call in plenty of time before playoffs. Playoff goals are often scored from within 8 feet of the goal..we need a big s.o.b to play physically in front.

We sure do. Will need the depth as well. Gilbert, Emelin very shaky. Markov after 82 games playing huge minutes. Tinordi will be needed.

Not sure..people keep saying Markov cant do this/that or is old-worn out, but he keeps playing smart hockey and he did till end of year last year with his offense being even higher in playoffs than reg season.

And Gonchar had no training camp and missed 20 or so games to start season, so he could just be heating up and with N the G as a partner seems to be working fine.

So not sure Tinordi has a good chance of call up, barring injuries/trade?

Haha, N the G! He's actually looking like a legit top 4, and at times has been one of our better D. I'm quite satisfied with his overall game. Does he make the random mistake? yeah, sure..but that's nhl hockey folks. Players reach the bigs because they're capable of making anyone make mistakes.

Not sure..people keep saying Markov cant do this/that or is old-worn out, but he keeps playing smart hockey and he did till end of year last year with his offense being even higher in playoffs than reg season.

And Gonchar had no training camp and missed 20 or so games to start season, so he could just be heating up and with N the G as a partner seems to be working fine.

So not sure Tinordi has a good chance of call up, barring injuries/trade?

Never heard anyone say that. What has been witnessed last season was AM with nothing left in the play offs after 80 to 90 games of playing 27 plus minutes a night. Matched up against the teams top lines, killing penalties, and playing powerplay is taxing on an older dman, whom is already slowed by bad knees. It happens to lots of dmen at his age. As you said Gonchar will benefit from less games, a and not attending a training camp, so obviously you see the point. MT may have the luxury down the last twenty games to cut back a bit on the his ice time. Also last season he played with slow poke emelin in the play offs and they were getting burned by speedy forwards. Playing with pk will help Markov insurmountably. So hoping he will be ok. Heard more than once how Charas injury this season is a "blessing in disguise" for himself and the bruins. Why? He will enter the play offs fresher with less miles on him than he ever has before.

Markov wont be 41 come playoffs, Gonchar will be.

Normally your PPG dosent increase when a player has absolutely nothing left. Dosent make sense does it.

If Beaulieu and Gonchar can play 20+minutes, with Weaver playing he eats up more PK time; then Markov may not be called on to play as much?

And you know coaching staff basically 'live' with players and are not oblivious to fatigue factor in sports (poor NFL players complain they are being endangered with only 3 days rest for Thursday games, when actual NFL play time for a game is only like 7minutes of action) and maybe let him play as much as he is comfortable with or really see that him playing 24+minutes from Oct-to May as a non-issue and he isn't as old-frail as many suppose?

Markov wont be 41 come playoffs, Gonchar will be.

Normally your PPG dosent increase when a player has absolutely nothing left. Dosent make sense does it.

If Beaulieu and Gonchar can play 20+minutes, with Weaver playing he eats up more PK time; then Markov may not be called on to play as much?

And you know coaching staff basically 'live' with players and are not oblivious to fatigue factor in sports (poor NFL players complain they are being endangered with only 3 days rest for Thursday games, when actual NFL play time for a game is only like 7minutes of action) and maybe let him play as much as he is comfortable with or really see that him playing 24+minutes from Oct-to May as a non-issue and he isn't as old-frail as many suppose?

Don, Markov is a very smart hockey player but let's not kid ourselves, he is old and slow. His knees just aren't what they used to be. He gets beat with speed a lot, he does not have the ability to turn the way he did. If we can keep his minutes down he will be a better asset for the playoffs. I was one who called for him to be traded last year, and I would say it again, but there was no market last year so it made no sense to trade him. Depending on the return and i want a good return, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. However I think he has a no movement clause to some extent. So that is probably a non issue.

I'm telling you..you got to stop getting all liquored in the morning and spoutin nonsense. :rastapop:

(of course he is a bit slower, no one will argue he is quicker at 36 than he was at 26; but playing as he has for past 3 seasons who cares)

I know Markov had a bad game yesterday, but "Trade Markov" is one old topic I thought wouldn't be brought up today...and exactly which d-man do you intend will fill his role, play his 24+minutes and be on pace for 47point season?

Simply would be a crazy move don't you think sir! :bonk:

I'm telling you..you got to stop getting all liquored in the morning and spoutin nonsense. :rastapop:

(of course he is a bit slower, no one will argue he is quicker at 36 than he was at 26; but playing as he has for past 3 seasons who cares)

I know Markov had a bad game yesterday, but "Trade Markov" is one old topic I thought wouldn't be brought up today...and exactly which d-man do you intend will fill his role, play his 24+minutes and be on pace for 47point season?

Calm down Don, it would depend on the return. If Gretzky can be... well you know where that is going. When you have a guy reaching the end of his career, you need to see what you might get for him. Anyway I did not mean to start that discussion again. He has a NTC so relax it ain't gonna happen. Markov does not necessarily have bad GAMES but he does have some bad moments in games and they cost us goals. Since you are going to keep him you have to manage his time better, cause we are going to need him ready and raring for the playoffs.

Hey Don, hoping Markov has more left this spring than he did last spring. These are legitimate concerns that may turn out to be unwarranted. After all Andre never ceases to amaze me. But lets keep an open mind on the defense. After all you were the one spouting off on how terribly unfit NB was for the NHL. :bonk: HR makes some valid points. I for one was not on the trade markov side, although i know why some would have. Habs were looking nowhere near Cup contenders after the lowly senators pummelled us badly in a lopsided first round five game series. So the return on Markov would have helped us down the road years after AM retired. However i could not imagine how bad this d would have been without him last season.

All mostly was in jest.

I know why some could see trading him before his best before date has arrived and I wasn't opposed one bit to him being traded last year, but am glad he was resigned and not sure what Habs would do, or be like without him.

And can see why him playing 24+minutes may be a bit much for 36 year old with medical history like his.

But, I was serious that Bergevin-Therrien are not dummies and must have an eye on games 83+ for their old"ish" players.

All mostly was in jest.

I know why some could see trading him before his best before date has arrived and I wasn't opposed one bit to him being traded last year, but am glad he was resigned and not sure what Habs would do, or be like without him.

And can see why him playing 24+minutes may be a bit much for 36 year old with medical history like his.

But, I was serious that Bergevin-Therrien are not dummies and must have an eye on games 83+ for their old"ish" players.

As one poster put it awhile back MT coaches like he has a one year contract not looking beyond next week.

He shrinks his bench and plays his top pair like it was game a seven every night. Last night at 6-2 he was still playing markov as if it was 2-2

All mostly was in jest.

We agree on that but like habs 30/31 says. It is hard to figure out if Le Genius realizes that he has some old defenceman. I love Markov and ya know Gonchar has done a pretty good job. Weaver is having a tough time getting back in a game, which is as it should be. But we gonna need them old guys come playoffs and I watched Markov struggle to get off the ice the other night. Looked like he was 50.

We agree on that but like habs 30/31 says. It is hard to figure out if Le Genius realizes that he has some old defenceman. I love Markov and ya know Gonchar has done a pretty good job. Weaver is having a tough time getting back in a game, which is as it should be. But we gonna need them old guys come playoffs and I watched Markov struggle to get off the ice the other night. Looked like he was 50.

Yea i saw that. Trapped for extra time because of an icing he was almost dead getting off. Having to stay out on icing calls is part of the game now. Endurance is key. Andre has it, but if he is gonna get played like he is 28 years old for the entire season, does not take a rocket scientist to know that his best hockey wont be played in May.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of changes at practice today, take note of who isn't on a regular line:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Weise
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Eller - de la Rose - Thomas (yes, Eller's the LW)
Prust - Malhotra - Bournival

Also, Weaver practiced in Gilbert's usual spot.