When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

• 2 weeks later...

From TSN: At the ALL STAR break, the NHL coaches were asked to rate who the best coach was.

BEST COACH: There wasn’t a lot of consensus on this one, with seven coaches getting at least one vote. Tampa’s Jon Cooper, Florida’s Gerard Gallant, Washington’s Barry Trotz, Detroit’s Mike Babcock and Montreal’s Michel Therrien garnered one vote apiece, leaving the Rangers’ Alain Vigneault and the Islanders’ Jack Capuano to battle it out for the remaining five votes. Capuano got the nod, getting three to Vigneault’s two.

Best goalie in the NHL.. 8 out of 10...Bob Gainey's boy.

(1 vote for Therrien... Crazy Mike musta voted for himself :bonk:)

An Olympic gold last year, a Vezina would look good on his resume also (along with the 2015 conn smyth trophy he is gonna get).

There is an article on the front page that is dead on as to where I believe this team is at. If you missed it here is the link. http://www.habsaddict.com/2015/01/the-good-average-poor-habs-first-half.html

I put it here cause I did not know where else to put it. Must read article

Just FYI:

that article had been posted on homepage yesterday HR.

I guess was pretty good, of course didn't agree with all ; like Sekac has been average.

There is an article on the front page that is dead on as to where I believe this team is at. If you missed it here is the link. http://www.habsaddict.com/2015/01/the-good-average-poor-habs-first-half.html

I put it here cause I did not know where else to put it. Must read article

Dead on is right. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I feel guilty for posting this now and I'm not the biggest supporter of Therrien but I'm also willing to see how far he can take us.

That being said - and I apologize if this topic has been broached already in this massive thread - I would think that Therrien's string will be cut if he can't get us to the Finals either this year or the next. Just wondering if that's too harsh in the opinion of the HW community. I figure that if we've made it to the ECF already, a date with Lord Stanley's Cup is the only positive step forward.

Also, I do not expect our PP coach - Erixon? - to be back next year.

I feel guilty for posting this now and I'm not the biggest supporter of Therrien but I'm also willing to see how far he can take us.

That being said - and I apologize if this topic has been broached already in this massive thread - I would think that Therrien's string will be cut if he can't get us to the Finals either this year or the next. Just wondering if that's too harsh in the opinion of the HW community. I figure that if we've made it to the ECF already, a date with Lord Stanley's Cup is the only positive step forward.

Dont fire him yet, he is just about to find a line combo he likes.............and chucky is only two more years and another 180 games away from playing center.

Bergevin was talking up this season as a transition year from the very beginning so internally, I don't think the expectations this season are to go as deep as they did last year. I doubt it's a Finals or bust (in the next year or two) situation.

As for the PP coach - Dan Lacroix - he'll still be around. All of the assistants were given long-term extensions a few months ago.

Bergevin was talking up this season as a transition year from the very beginning so internally, I don't think the expectations this season are to go as deep as they did last year. I doubt it's a Finals or bust (in the next year or two) situation.

As for the PP coach - Dan Lacroix - he'll still be around. All of the assistants were given long-term extensions a few months ago.

Think your right about that. Therrien will be fired before the habs go on to a Cup.You can bet on that. However it wont be this season. Even if MT gets clobbered and out coached in the first round like he did two years ago. Even if its that bad , he will be back next season. However with the best goalie in the nhl, the top best pair, star sniper, dynamite GM, good prospects coming in every year, good role players added by GM...........management will expect a championship..........at the very least a powerplay. Running practices, speaking frenck/english, and playing musical chairs with a line up. Good work if you can get it.

Guest Stogey24

Extensions mean nothing. Didn't Wilson sign extension with Leafs and get fired like month later. Same thing with Devils at one point.

Extensions mean nothing. Didn't Wilson sign extension with Leafs and get fired like month later. Same thing with Devils at one point.

Same with Torts.

But its the french thing here. Sick of revisiting that Canadiens anchor.

Just glad we dont have the same policy for signing goalies that have for signing for coaches.

When the extensions are signed in this 'transition' season (with perceived lower expectations), it's safe to assume all coaches will be back next year barring a collapse for the ages. If struggles continue into the following year, all bets are off of course but Lacroix and the other assistants are almost assured of starting next year where they are.

I agree that Bergevin does not see this as "The Year." Everything I've read suggests he is trying to build a Detroit Red Wings-style perennial contender. So does the fact that he did not go all in on a scoring FW at the deadline. So if the Habs fail to go deep this year, Therrien is still safe.

That said, expectations are higher than they used to be. I would say that if:

1. The Habs continue to struggle from now to the end of the season (a la 2012)

2. They get eliminated in the first round (a la 2012)

3. They continue to struggle for the first 20 games of next season

then we would see Therrien's head roll. And rightly so.

And once again, I would reiterate that folks wishing for Therrien's firing should be careful what they wish for. The next coach will also refuse to simply hand rookies massive minutes irrespective of performance, just like MT; he will juggle the lines whenever the team is stalling, just like MT; he will make specific in-game and between-game decisions you disagree with, just like MT; and his team will have some flaws in its game, just like MT. However, all of that is another argument.

• Upvote 1

Not all the blame lies with Le Genius and his magic blender, this team needs a sniper, and has for several years. MT needs to provide that guy, however when Le Genius had Vanek it did not go so well in the playoffs, so who knows. The power play is crap once again. The team does not play 60 minutes and hasn't all year (or so it seems) they used to take the 1st and part of the second off now they take the 2nd and 3rd off. I don't think Le Genius is going to take us to the cup but we need more than a new coach.

I agree that Bergevin does not see this as "The Year." Everything I've read suggests he is trying to build a Detroit Red Wings-style perennial contender. So does the fact that he did not go all in on a scoring FW at the deadline. So if the Habs fail to go deep this year, Therrien is still safe.

That said, expectations are higher than they used to be. I would say that if:

1. The Habs continue to struggle from now to the end of the season (a la 2012)

2. They get eliminated in the first round (a la 2012)

3. They continue to struggle for the first 20 games of next season

then we would see Therrien's head roll. And rightly so.

And once again, I would reiterate that folks wishing for Therrien's firing should be careful what they wish for. The next coach will also refuse to simply hand rookies massive minutes irrespective of performance, just like MT; he will juggle the lines whenever the team is stalling, just like MT; he will make specific in-game and between-game decisions you disagree with, just like MT; and his team will have some flaws in its game, just like MT. However, all of that is another argument.

"careful what you wish for" lol I'm sure therrien will not be missed. Ask Pens fan if they missed him when he and his big mouth was canned.

Therrien juggles lines when team stalls" yep

also may I add

Therrien juggles line when team wins

Therrein juggles lines non stop for 82 games. after wins and losses

Therrien juggles lines in the play offs. after wins and losses

On family trips Therrein probabaly pulls the SUV over every half hour for everyone to switch seats.

• Upvote 2

Alain Vigneault juggles his lines as ferociously as Therrien, and so do most coaches. I guess they all suck too, eh?

I agree that people won't miss Therrien, but that's because he is one of a large mass of more-or-less interchangeable quality NHL coaches. There is a handful of elite coaches in the NHL - Babcock, Quenneville, Sutter, Trotz, one or two others, none of whom are French. The rest are, like I say, interchangeable. Therrien's successor will almost certainly be another one of that large mass - and will therefore represent a lateral move. When I say "be careful what you wish for," I just mean that everyone will be just as agitated about, and critical of, whoever succeeds Therrien. Julien, Carbo, Martin, Therrien - none have been good enough for "expert" Habs fans, and there is no reason to expect anything to change. Pat Burns wasn't good enough for us either.

Therrien will be fired when the team finally tunes him out. Then a new guy will come in, with new strengths and weaknesses, and he will reign until the team tunes him out. And so on.

(If you ask me, there is a chronic culture of over-coaching in today's NHL and Therrien is part of that. But so is everyone else, and so will be his successor).

I don't think when it comes right down to it, that Therrien is worse than any other veteran coach in the NHL, different maybe in his opinions, but then aren't we all?

What I do like is defense first, we have the team and goalie to play that way and win, and seldom does MT get any credit for recognizing that, and defense wins chamionships my friends... Ima wait till the season is over to judge him, it wasn't coach that lost us the series last year's playoffs...

On family trips Therrein probabaly pulls the SUV over every half hour for everyone to switch seats.

Love this post. :D

"Hmmmz we can minimize the fuel usage if we move you to the middle left seat and you dear are to overweight. Ill put you in the roofbox"

Love this post. :D

"Hmmmz we can minimize the fuel usage if we move you to the middle left seat and you dear are to overweight. Ill put you in the roofbox"

And I bet he gets his family there in record time and optimizes fuel consumption, all while building a great family atmosphere.

Habs coaches that haven't been as good as Therrien:

Cunneyworth

Martin

Gainey

Carbonneau (don't even go there, he had a hot powerplay when the rules were being enforced to the tune of a billionty minors a game)

Vigneault

Julien
Tremblay

You have to go back twenty years to find a coach that's done as well as Therrien. Find another axe to grind. This is a team that's bulit to roll three lines and Lars Eller is in the tank. That's something to be unhappy about.

If I have one qualm, it's DLR as a third line center. He's better defensively than Eller, but he doesn't produce. He should be in the minors for the rest of this year and maybe next years. Unless we want another Kyle Chipchura,

If I have one qualm, it's DLR as a third line center. He's better defensively than Eller, but he doesn't produce. He should be in the minors for the rest of this year and maybe next years. Unless we want another Kyle Chipchura,

I'm not 100% sure on this (it was one of the small changes in the last CBA and rarely does it come up) but de la Rose may not be able to play back in the AHL for the rest of the year as a result of not being 'papered' (sent down before the deadline and then immediately recalled). I know he can't play in the AHL playoffs but short of a conditioning assignment, he may not be able to go down between now and the postseason. He will still be waiver exempt come next year though.