Habs at the All-Star Game

dlbalr

The game's not for guys like us that watch 70+ games a year, it's for children and average fans of the sport and channel surfers.

I hate to reach "peak controversy rate" in one day of posting, but this is a predominately Canadian attitude, and it's not unique to the all star game, it spreads to attitudes about the national teams and expansion franchises.

Not everything in hockey is designed for the hardcore fans. There are only so many of us, the game has to expand, and many fans neglect how well and hard Gary Bettman and the new American franchises have worked to do just that. With resounding success.

And no, I won't be watching the game. But like most people watching TV that day, I'll flip to it between commercials and that makes the game a success.

• Upvote 2

The game's not for guys like us that watch 70+ games a year, it's for children and average fans of the sport and channel surfers.

I hate to reach "peak controversy rate" in one day of posting, but this is a predominately Canadian attitude, and it's not unique to the all star game, it spreads to attitudes about the national teams and expansion franchises.

Not everything in hockey is designed for the hardcore fans. There are only so many of us, the game has to expand, and many fans neglect how well and hard Gary Bettman and the new American franchises have worked to do just that. With resounding success.

And no, I won't be watching the game. But like most people watching TV that day, I'll flip to it between commercials and that makes the game a success.

matter of opinion

did not do much for hockey fans in quebec.

i miss the montreal quebec rivalry.

I could care less how may fans carolina is not getting, how many new owners it takes to keep a team in the dessert, unimpressed with american league fourth liners, and american league 3rd pair defense men on every team. Never really been a fan of my team not being able to sign who ever they want regardless of total team salary. (cap) Three lock outs/strikes including a cancelled season.

I love HOCKEY but I no longer like NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE.............that never used to be true.

I think contraction would be better for the game as well, but I have to agree with Lovett, that a lot of things that we don't like (shoot outs, expansion, outdoor games, all star games), are there to draw in new fans. Another important thing has happenened to draw in new fans this year. No goons. It is so nice to see the goons gone from the game. This is the first year.

I think contraction would be better for the game as well, but I have to agree with Lovett, that a lot of things that we don't like (shoot outs, expansion, outdoor games, all star games), are there to draw in new fans. Another important thing has happenened to draw in new fans this year. No goons. It is so nice to see the goons gone from the game. This is the first year.

i am not saying no goons has has not drawn new fans, but how do we know it has, or if it has for that matter?

I always doubted that in carolina or tampa bay, florida or columbus etc that there are previous non fans coverted ito fans because the shoot out was invented. Bettmans fox-atron? :rofl: Out door games have been a good event for hundreds of thousands of fans, at live stadiums shown on tv, thats a for sure.

I do know hockey was on the uprise in the states after Gretz and kings made it popular and trendy. Hockey was exploding in the stated by 93 with Gretz and Kings playing in the finals against the habs. Then the Cup being won by New York. Explosion of star americans early 90's and won the world cup against Canadaa by 96. All that ground work was laid pre Bettman.

Chelios talks about some of this in his new book. Makes some real good points. Not a big fan of Gary was chelly. :nuts:

Does Jiri ever not have a smile on his face

Yea, he is one happy dude. Good rookie to have on the Habs.

Guest Stogey24

i am not saying no goons has has not drawn new fans, but how do we know it has, or if it has for that matter?

I always doubted that in carolina or tampa bay, florida or columbus etc that there are previous non fans coverted ito fans because the shoot out was invented. Bettmans fox-atron? :rofl: Out door games have been a good event for hundreds of thousands live stadiums thats a for sure.

off topic ............. any one else think that the tsn guys covering all star game act more like school girl groupies than sports journalists.

I do know hockey was on the uprise in the states after Gretz and kings made it popular and trendy. Hockey was exploding in the stated by 93 with Gretz and Kings playing in the finals against the habs. Then the Cup being won by New York. Explosion of star americans early 90's and won the world cup against Canadaa by 96. All that ground work was laid pre Bettman.

Chelios talks about some of this in his new book. Makes some real good points. Not a big fan of Gary was chelly. :nuts:

Yea, he is one happy dude. Good rookie to have on the Habs.

The kings were nothing before Gretzky went there

Break away challenge is a joke. So dumb

Yeah, that was terrible. They're going for YouTube moments...I don't think there will be any long-standing memories among that group.

Johnny goudreau will play in the all star game. Haha. Patch staying home. Confused.

He's not the only one out of the rookies who wound up getting the nod - both Filip Forsberg and Aaron Ekblad will play tomorrow as well. Tyler Johnson's questionable to play tomorrow as well so one of Drouin, Hoffman, or Sekac may play yet. (I'm sure Sekac is last on the pecking order there...)

The kings were nothing before Gretzky went there

absolutely. buddy of mine who lived in L.A in the 80's said you could practically gets tickets to a game thrown in when buying a carton of milk at the corner store. Then Gretz came. Changed over night.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, that was terrible. They're going for YouTube moments...I don't think there will be any long-standing memories among that group.

He's not the only one out of the rookies who wound up getting the nod - both Filip Forsberg and Aaron Ekblad will play tomorrow as well. Tyler Johnson's questionable to play tomorrow as well so one of Drouin, Hoffman, or Sekac may play yet. (I'm sure Sekac is last on the pecking order there...)

Sekac had a sick move in the breakaway challenge. Got robbed

absolutely. buddy of mine who lived in L.A in the 80's said you could practically gets tickets to a game thrown in when buying a carton of milk at the corner store. Then Gretz came. Changed over night.

Ya, actually a little while ago on sports net they were talking about L.A back in the day.

Guest Stogey24

Did I miss the skills competition? damn. I was so looking forward to it. What time is the game I am going to miss? I want to make sure I have the right time. ;)

The game ain't that bad, but the skills comp was/is bruuuutal

lmao

there's a video of Price taking a nice jab at Kessel after seeing 1 Leaf fan while pulling up to the venue. Priceless.(no pun) Find it.

Kessel seems to get tortured at these things. Like the odd new kid whom is an easy target. I think he's a mega introvert. He should go Marshawn Lynch, Shia LeBeouf or Joaquin Phoenix. Even Toews calling him a real coachable player when being picked 1st and everyone getting a kick out of it in the back.

Brent Burns' blazer was the best part of the whole draft.

Guest Stogey24

Healy told Price when he was Mic'd up that he would have given Krieder the Con Smythe if New York won the cup; because the only reason they got the the finals was because he took out Price.... Pretty good line

Healy told Price when he was Mic'd up that he would have given Krieder the Con Smythe if New York won the cup; because the only reason they got the the finals was because he took out Price.... Pretty good line

ha! a very good line, because its so true