Collins - Wennberg - Morin
Tropp - Letestu - Boll
Johnson - Savard
Connauton - Wisniewski
Prout - Tyutin

Bobrovsky
/McElhinney

Not Expected to Play

Scratches: Goloubef, Leopold   Injured: Anisimov, Gibbons, Horton, Jenner, Murray, Skille

Team Leaders Montreal Columbus

Game Notes

Goals Pacioretty (18) Foligno (18) Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST
Assists Subban (19) Johansen (24) National TV: Sportsnet
Points Pacioretty (33) Foligno (40) Regional TV: RDS, FS-O
PIMS Prust (78) Hartnell (57) English Radio: TSN 690
+/- Pacioretty (+22) Foligno/Rychel (+3) French Radio: FM 98.5

Guest Stogey24

If I'm benching Emelin I'm at least calling up Pateryn to play the 6 spot. I'm not really a fan, but Weaver looked bad before he sat out for a month. I guess Hamilton is pretty hurtin' on D depth though.

Weaver was really good in his role with us last season. He could be a big help if any long term injuries happened, especially in the playoffs. A little game action will let us know if he can still be a useful piece or if MB might want to deal him at the deadline.

On the other hand this team was really counting on Emelin to be a contributing member of the D group's top 4, this could be a big problem long term if he can't get his game back on track.
After the incident with Tinordi this past week it's a damn good thing that Beaulieu is working out.

Guest Stogey24

Maybe Emelin just needs a view from the pressbox to wake his ass up..let's hope its a quick view

This never goes over well, but Emelin's hockey IQ isn't high.

Finally, a game!

Amen! Has this past month and a half not been the lightest schedule ever!

Maybe Emelin just needs a view from the pressbox to wake his ass up..let's hope its a quick view

As it turns out, there won't be a view from the press box at all. After skating as the 7th D yesterday, he's back in his usual spot in the lineup apparently.

As it turns out, there won't be a view from the press box at all. After skating as the 7th D yesterday, he's back in his usual spot in the lineup apparently.

Ah hah Le Genius was just scaring him. Trying to wake him up.

I have a theory, though it's not based on any actual research, but doesn't it feel like Emelin and Subban have been throwing big hits at a reduced frequency over the past few months?

It feels like in the very beginning of the Therrien days, someone opponent was being sent ass over tea kettle every few game. Either Subban or Emelin were dishing out serious punishment consistently.

Now, I can't actually recall the last time either of those guys really laid someone out. Is it possible that they've been told to stop going for the big hits and play more passively over the years? And if so, is it possible that Emelin needs that physical edge to really capture the flow of the game? That he needs to be thinking about the big hip check in order to play his best defence?

Emelin said himself he's been lacking in confidence so if someone is telling him to play a different way, it could very well be true that it would be affecting him in a negative way. I think Emelin definitely needs to play on the edge to be able to play up to his potential. Subban, not so much. It's exciting when he plays that way but Subban can still be extremely effective while playing a lot of different types of roles. Emelin's dimension is that role.

As for whether or not they've actually been told to hold back, it's quite possible and even likely. But Emelin got injured a lot playing that style and maybe he learned a lesson or two himself without having to be told anything. That, and you end up taking a lot of more penalties playing that type of style (Subban).

Guest Stogey24

I have a theory, though it's not based on any actual research, but doesn't it feel like Emelin and Subban have been throwing big hits at a reduced frequency over the past few months?

It feels like in the very beginning of the Therrien days, someone opponent was being sent ass over tea kettle every few game. Either Subban or Emelin were dishing out serious punishment consistently.

Now, I can't actually recall the last time either of those guys really laid someone out. Is it possible that they've been told to stop going for the big hits and play more passively over the years? And if so, is it possible that Emelin needs that physical edge to really capture the flow of the game? That he needs to be thinking about the big hip check in order to play his best defence?

Good post. I can't really remember the last time any Hab laid a big hit for that matter

I'd go as far as suggesting that + the fact that Subban might have been told to stop carrying the puck in the offensive zone to avoid turnovers. Or at least to do it less often.

Hey Trizzak not to be rude but there are some of us who have been saying for quite a while that Subban has been leashed up and not allowed to play his game. I think that something has slowed Emelin down on his normally aggressive play. It could be Le Genius but I better not say that for fear of sticks and stones :rolleyes:. So maybe the injuries have had an impact on him. He wouldn't be the first guy to have this happen, but if it his lack of confidence that has slowed him down, he better get it together cause his career could go down the toilet in a hurry. He needs to hit and be aggressive it is his game.

great start and now great PP. Not only do we not score, we take a penalty and take out the franchise goalie.

Great move by MT putting Parenteau on the point.

• Upvote 1

great start and now great PP. Not only do we not score, we take a penalty and take out the franchise goalie.

Great move by MT putting Parenteau on the point.

I thought they played a very good period. Bad pp, I agree there.

The new top line had some good moments early. They're about the only of the top three lines to stand out (the fourth looks good though). I think it was a good no-goal call, it was about 98% in but not all the way. It was just one of a few bad breaks that period, the Price thing being another, as was Subban pinning a player against Price which prevented him from getting out to make the save on their goal.

The pairing of Markov and Subban may need to be split up for a little bit. They are way too comfortable playing together and that's not a good thing. Both are playing very casual in their own end; they have the confidence that the other will cover for him. While that last bit is nice, it wouldn't be necessary if they played a little sharper in their own zone. Usually, the way to spark that is to put them with other partners for a bit. If you look at Columbus' chances, most of them have come when they're out there and often as a result of a poor decision that I don't think would happen if they weren't too comfortable with each other.