Galchenyuk's new contract.

Dalhabs

Funny you mention Duchene as he is the exact comparable I used for the $3.5 M figure. He was a 3rd overall pick and signed a two year, $7 M contract after posting 28 points in 58 games (0.48 PPG). Now, Galchenyuk's PPG pace is higher this year (he already has 31 points) but Duchene had the better first two seasons of the two to offset that. They are very strong comparables, especially when you consider the increase in the cap since then. If Galchenyuk finishes in the 45-50 point range, he'll have the numbers for $3.5 M on a bridge deal.

The Edmonton trio all signed extensions coming off their second seasons which puts them in a bit of a different boat. But, let's look at Nugent-Hopkins since he was the latest of the trio to sign. He inked his $6 M per year deal coming off a 2012-13 season in which he actually produced less than Galchenyuk. The cap at that time was $64.3 M; it's projected to be about 10-12% higher than that for when Galchenyuk's extension kicks in. (You note the decline in the Cdn $ but the rest of the TV money is coming into play to offset that; next year's cap won't be lower than what it is now.) Add 10-12% to your $5.5 M proposal (since you want to slot Galchenyuk behind the Edmonton trio in terms of money) to account for the difference in cap between then and now. That makes that $5.5 M somewhere between $6.05 M and $6.215 M.

$5.5 M is too low for him to take for eight years. I could see him taking that for six (since only two UFA years would be bought out then and he'd hit the open market at 27) but those back two seasons are going to be enough to drag that cap hit into the $6 M+ range if he's going to sign a max-term deal.

Anyone got an abacus?

Who and when was last. Matts Nazlund in 85?

Richer scored 50 plus a couple of times.

Pete Mohovalich still hold record for assists by a hab in season with 81.

Ive waited long time for Habs to have another 100+point player and likely will still be waiting a long time?

what Pleks not gonna do it with all that ice time? :rofl:

Who and when was last. Matts Nazlund in 85?

Richer scored 50 plus a couple of times.

Pete Mohovalich still hold record for assists by a hab in season with 81.

what Pleks not gonna do it with all that ice time? :rofl:

Matts Nazlund? Sounds like his stagename if he was in an 80s glamrockband. :)

Hab #1 forward is tied 38th in scoring race and seems has been like that since Lazyalev #27 had 80 some points.

Some year... some time in future will have a top 10 scorer again, but aint happening this year.

To be fair, Pacioretty is 9th overall in goal-scoring and finished 4th overall last season. So we may not have a top-25 point-getter, but we have a definite top-10 goal scorer. PK Subban is (oddly) also 9th overall in scoring for defencemen, and finished higher than that last year. I suspect he will move up the rankings as the season grinds on.

Now, I agree that it'd be nice to have a Steven Stamkos on the team. But we shouldn't let these sorts of stats distract us from the fact that we have two bona-fide, top-rank position players besides Price - the first time in decades, really, that we're in that position. PK at his best is the most exciting player in all of hockey. So it's not all bad news.

To be fair, Pacioretty is 9th overall in goal-scoring and finished 4th overall last season. So we may not have a top-25 point-getter, but we have a definite top-10 goal scorer. PK Subban is (oddly) also 9th overall in scoring for defencemen, and finished higher than that last year. I suspect he will move up the rankings as the season grinds on.

Now, I agree that it'd be nice to have a Steven Stamkos on the team. But we shouldn't let these sorts of stats distract us from the fact that we have two bona-fide, top-rank position players besides Price - the first time in decades, really, that we're in that position. PK at his best is the most exciting player in all of hockey. So it's not all bad news.

Yes and i like the pax led the nhl in game winning goals last season.

pk the most exciting player in all of hockey how do you rank "exciting" :nuts:

Ive waited long time for Habs to have another 100+point player and likely will still be waiting a long time?

It's not the Habs but NHL scoring overall.

2013-2014: One player

2011-2012: One player

2010-2011: One player

2009-2010: Four players

2008-2009: Three players

2007-2008: Two players

2006-2007: Seven players

2005-2006: Seven players

05-06 and 06-07 were due to the inflated amount of powerplays. Once it dropped, there was now maybe four players in the league who could be 100 point players and it was either generational players (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin) or first line players in a career year (Daniel Sedin, Nick Backstrom). Remember, even Stamkos has yet to hit 100 points. Voracek is the highest scoring player right now and he's on pace for... 95 points.

If scoring suddenly went up due to extra penalties called like in 05-06/06-07, yeah I could see Galchenyuk hitting 100.

Yes and i like the pax led the nhl in game winning goals last season.

pk the most exciting player in all of hockey how do you rank "exciting" :nuts:

You don't think PK at his best is, at least, among the most electrifying players in the game? What more does he have to do, spontaneously combust, or turn himself into a Transformer - ?

• Upvote 1

You don't think PK at his best is, at least, among the most electrifying players in the game? What more does he have to do, spontaneously combust, or turn himself into a Transformer - ?

On Twitter, I have a lot of Bruins fans on my Twitter feed. Even they were saying, "Where's PK (at the all-star game)?" They hate the guy and they still want to see him at the all-star game.

At one point it was Karlsson vs. Subban but most fans have realized that Subban is a better defender, better player, might not be as offensively succinct as Karlsson but is far more exciting when he is. Subban is a full fledged, three dimensional personality. Guys like Karlsson are one note players.

On Twitter, I have a lot of Bruins fans on my Twitter feed. Even they were saying, "Where's PK (at the all-star game)?" They hate the guy and they still want to see him at the all-star game.

At one point it was Karlsson vs. Subban but most fans have realized that Subban is a better defender, better player, might not be as offensively succinct as Karlsson but is far more exciting when he is. Subban is a full fledged, three dimensional personality. Guys like Karlsson are one note players.

I would take pk over karlsson. Especially the pk that used to hit. But watched the sens beat leafs the other night and Karlsoon was domintaing. Skating like the wind, pin point passing, two goals including winner with a rocket of a slap shot that was off his sticke before many knew it was on his stick. (pk like shot)

i would ay kabby in his prime was a one note player. Karllson many notes. Paul Coffee with a shot.

Top rank forwards?, not sure Pacioretty would even be in top 30 ranked forwards would he?

Top rank forwards?, not sure Pacioretty would even be in top 30 ranked forwards would he?

Like I said...a top-10 NHL goal-scorer (and probably better than that, actually - he was 4th overall in that category last season). He really doesn't get the respect he deserves in terms of being a guy who puts the puck in the net with the very best of them.

Definitely in my top 30.

Few teams have more than 1 player that I'd automaticaly consider better (sometimes slightly, marked *) than Pacioretty : Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, Dallas, Anaheim, NYR*, Vancouver*.

Most of the team would have one player better than him.

Lot of teams with no forward better than him, IMO. Arizona, Nashville, Boston, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida, New Jerse, Columbus and on and on.

No, I don't value anyone over Pax in Minnessota, Carolina ( E. Staal, no better than #67), don't consider anymore anyone on Detroit better than Pax, LA, puzzled with San Jose. Are Couture and Pavelski that much ahead of Pax, don't think so.

It's unfair to rank wingers with centers. Don't know why we still do it. Must be bad habit.

- 34th in scoring for all forwards currently by points but 10th for left wingers. Tied for third in goals behind Nash and Ovechkin for left wingers. 2nd for +/-.

Where Pacioretty really excels is scoring at home. Count all forwards and he's 7th in home scoring. Only Henrik Zetterberg has more points than him for home scoring left wingers but Zet has played four more games than Patches at home.

I'd Pacioretty is a Top 10 Left Winger in the game for sure, possibly Top 5. Ovechkin, Nash and Zetterberg are the best LWers in the game right now. After that it's anyone's game and I think Pacioretty is quite arguable against Sedin, Ladd, Steen, Foligno, JVR, Hall, etc.

It's unfair to rank wingers with centers. Don't know why we still do it. Must be bad habit.

- 34th in scoring for all forwards currently by points but 10th for left wingers. Tied for third in goals behind Nash and Ovechkin for left wingers. 2nd for +/-.

Where Pacioretty really excels is scoring at home. Count all forwards and he's 7th in home scoring. Only Henrik Zetterberg has more points than him for home scoring left wingers but Zet has played four more games than Patches at home.

I'd Pacioretty is a Top 10 Left Winger in the game for sure, possibly Top 5. Ovechkin, Nash and Zetterberg are the best LWers in the game right now. After that it's anyone's game and I think Pacioretty is quite arguable against Sedin, Ladd, Steen, Foligno, JVR, Hall, etc.

Good anology. and pax still getting better

Guest Stogey24

Maybe Pacioretty is top 30 American born, whose last name starts with a P...but only during home games on a Tuesday.

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen you post something positive

Don posts positive stuff. The guys looking for a 100 point player. That ain't gonna happen. Maybe ever. Unless there is a rule change. 1.0 PPG is the benchmark imo. Chucky has it in him to be that. That along with the world's greatest goaltender, a top five defenseman, and a top 20 winger should make for a strong team in the future, if he can get there. My thought at the beginning of the season, was that many things needed to happen to be a true contender this year. Emelin needed to shine on his left side. Gilbert needed to be a true number three defenseman. One of Beaulieu Tinordi needed to step up and become a full time roster player, and most importantly Galchenyuk needed to breakout with a 60+ point season. Nate is most likely here to stay, but the other things have not happened. A dominant season by Chucky as the number one centre would have justified a long term contract. I wonder if he should be bridged. Allow him to play the game and learn it without the distraction of having to live up to a big contract.

• Upvote 1

Yes just poor jab at 'seemingly' sort of 'cherry picking' how to slide him into a top 10.

But, did you try and think of count who you would trade him for; seems a lot of players (Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Perry, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Mackinnon, etc). I haven't and maybe he would fall in top 30, but I just doubt it without scrolling through team rosters?

If he rips off 40+ goals again, has good playoffs he may be considered an 'elite' player and for sure he may have one of best releases on shot as anyone?