Two questions

It would have to be Ryan Culkin who is ranked 89th by Central Scouting amongst North American Skaters.

Since that 89th doesn't include Euros or goalies.... he's more like a fourth/fifth round pick.

The only other ranked guy on the Remparts is Francois Brassard the 15th ranked Goalie.

Bingo. And unless I have been mislead by extremely close friends of the family then he hasn't had even the slightest acknowledgement.

Bingo. And unless I have been mislead by extremely close friends of the family then he hasn't had even the slightest acknowledgement.

You think the Habs needs to bend over backwards for a 130th-150th ranked prospect, just becasue he is french?

I would bet that there are many higher ranked, english/european prospects that are in exact same boat and havent heard one word from many NHL clubs.

• Upvote 1

You think the Habs needs to bend over backwards for a 130th-150th ranked prospect, just becasue he is french?

That's what people want, though. They don't want this idea of a single French Canadian prospect getting passed up by the Canadiens IF THEY BECOME SUCCESSFUL. Maxime Talbot went 234th Overall and I've read people complain that he didn't goto the Habs in 2002. Not a word about the 6'2" French Canadian selected earlier than him by the Canadiens named Jonathan Ferland because Ferland didn't pan out and Talbot did.

• Upvote 1

They've clearly been in the arena and seen him play though. You can't really say they aren't scouting him, because we know they have been to Remparts games, and probably often.

• Upvote 1

I would bet that there are many higher ranked, english/european prospects that are in exact same boat and havent heard one word from many NHL clubs.

For starters he is not francophone, secondly there is a huge difference between ranked 60-90 and ranked 130+ . The point which I am trying to make is that there appears to be a general lack of interest in truly scouting players in our own backyard.

Trevor Timmens is doing an amazing job so it's hard to argue he is making mistakes with the people he's selecting but it's been too long since we've seen the club take a chance on kids from the Q regardless of whether they are english or french.

I am Anglo but want to see more francophones on this team.

For starters he is not francophone, secondly there is a huge difference between ranked 60-90 and ranked 130+ . The point which I am trying to make is that there appears to be a general lack of interest in truly scouting players in our own backyard.

Trevor Timmens is doing an amazing job so it's hard to argue he is making mistakes with the people he's selecting but it's been too long since we've seen the club take a chance on kids from the Q regardless of whether they are english or french.

You seem to forget the Archambault/Lefebvre/Masse/Dumont etc who are all long shots and none are paying off, and as i see it all 30 teams are having same success with players from Quebec without wasting late picks. And many french players are invited to Hab camps/ATOs but 99% just cant cut it, even at the AHL level.

But i imagine Bergevin will announce very very shortly that Quebec scout #s will be beefed up for sure, which i see as a waste of time (but it is just Molson $$ so he can do as he sees fit, but is just for PR and nothing more) and really should beef up USA and European scouting, as they seem to be producing more NHL calibre prospects.

I always pull for more Canadians on the Candiens, but could really care less if come from Mexico or China, if they can play. To single out your want for more home gorwn Francophones, as i have said before, seems right in-step with Don Cherry ranting about home-grown anglophones for Leafs and i do not appreciate his views at all.

Last year i was totally hoping Gauthier would sell the farm to move up in draft to nab Sean Couturier, in small part becasue he would of been a PR home run as a big skilled french centre, in the mold of #4; But primarily because he was a super prospect and i thought he was just what the Habs are missing.

But all you have to do is look at prospect ranking for past few years and see QMJHL is just not producing that many quality players, so why is it so important to scout harder in that area, just dosent seem logical?

I had hoped team success on the ice would be #1 priority for new management, but seems to be coming in second.

I had hoped team success on the ice would be #1 priority for new management, but seems to be coming in second.

I still believe it's number one, as evidenced from you agreeing that the Scout comment was good PR and the Timmins scouting team has spent their time all around the world and not just in Quebec.

For starters he is not francophone, secondly there is a huge difference between ranked 60-90 and ranked 130+ .  The point which I am trying to make is that there appears to be a general lack of interest in truly scouting players in our own backyard.

He's 89th in NHL CS, which is their North American Skater only list.

When you add in Euros and goalies, he's not really ranked 60-90, he's ranked a heck of a lot closer to the 5th round than the third.

89th best skater in North America only... does not = 89th best player in the draft because of the way central scouting splits their lists.

I still believe it's number one, as evidenced from you agreeing that the Scout comment was good PR and the Timmins scouting team has spent their time all around the world and not just in Quebec.

Yes, i should of re-read what I wrote before posting and there are signs that Bergevin is doing his best and trying to change things up a bit.for better on-ice product.

He's 89th in NHL CS, which is their North American Skater only list.

When you add in Euros and goalies, he's not really ranked 60-90, he's ranked a heck of a lot closer to the 5th round than the third.

89th best skater in North America only... does not = 89th best player in the draft because of the way central scouting splits their lists.

89th is not his ranking, it was his midterm ranking. He had a great ending to the season and finished 66th among NA skaters. I know he's been told by most of the teams that he's met with that he will be a mid to late 3rd round pick.

89th is not his ranking, it was his midterm ranking. He had a great ending to the season and finished 66th among NA skaters. I know he's been told by most of the teams that he's met with that he will be a mid to late 3rd round pick.

McKeens has him in final ranking at 91st, which is end 3rd round, but who knows maybe Habs already have group selected in that range to pick from? Can be many reasons they have "ignored" a specific player they have seen play often?

McKeens has him in final ranking at 91st, which is end 3rd round, but who knows maybe Habs already have group selected in that range to pick from? Can be many reasons they have "ignored" a specific player they have seen play often?

While most teams have the same players in the first round and even the early 2nd, past that.... lists vary greatly.

I've heard a few teams say they only need a list of about 100-120 guys, because even though 210 are drafted every year, they always have guys ranked in their personal top 100 available in the 7th round, because the lists are so varied.

Like I said, they've definitely seen the kid... they aren't "ignoring" him.

If they haven't contacted him, they may be trying to hide their interest... or they may not be interested at all. And thats fine, not every team needs to be interested in every single 3rd/4th/5th rounder

Also Culkin is not in the THN top 100.

and is number 89 in Future Considerations.

We have 3 excellent prospects from the Q (although only one is from Quebec), and another excellent prospect who is from Quebec, but didn't play in the Q. This team is not ignoring the Q or Quebec born players in that regard. Could they have moved up to nab some home town prospects over the years? Maybe, who knows. Adding another scout for the Q may be redundant, maybe not, but really, who cares? It can't hurt, and perhaps it will shut up the media types who like to complain about such things. As for this year, it is, by all accounts, not a good year for Quebec born kids in the draft, so those who like to complain about that will have something to say, yet again this year! Welcome back to Montreal, Mr. Bergevin!

We have 3 excellent prospects from the Q (although only one is from Quebec), and another excellent prospect who is from Quebec, but didn't play in the Q. This team is not ignoring the Q or Quebec born players in that regard. Could they have moved up to nab some home town prospects over the years? Maybe, who knows. Adding another scout for the Q may be redundant, maybe not, but really, who cares? It can't hurt, and perhaps it will shut up the media types who like to complain about such things. As for this year, it is, by all accounts, not a good year for Quebec born kids in the draft, so those who like to complain about that will have something to say, yet again this year! Welcome back to Montreal, Mr. Bergevin!

As I've said before only 1 team (17 vs 14) Philly has made more draft choices from the Q in the last 9 years (since Timmins was hired) than Montreal.

Plus there is Leblanc who wasn't from the Q, and nearly 1 Q free agent signed every year (examples Masse, Desharnais, Delmas, Dame-Malka, Lefebvre).

No one is bringing in more Q talent than the Habs.

As I've said before only 1 team (17 vs 14) Philly has made more draft choices from the Q in the last 9 years (since Timmins was hired) than Montreal.

Plus there is Leblanc who wasn't from the Q, and nearly 1 Q free agent signed every year (examples Masse, Desharnais, Delmas, Dame-Malka, Lefebvre).

Seaking of undrafted players we've signed, I wonder if we'll approach Zlobin? He's not big but the kid can outright score.

Seaking of undrafted players we've signed, I wonder if we'll approach Zlobin? He's not big but the kid can outright score.

I'm guessing he gets drafted this year.... anywhere in the 5th or later.

The whole argument about under-drafting the Q is the worst kind of ignorant, bitchy nativism. It should be resolutely ignored as the moronic crap that it is.

• Upvote 1

The whole argument about under-drafting the Q is the worst kind of ignorant, bitchy nativism. It should be resolutely ignored as the moronic crap that it is.

Like I've stated before, it has nothing to do with under drafting the Q and everything about Montreal not having what is perceived to be French Canadian superstars. Montreal could have drafted three Q players in the last 9 years but if it was Giroux, Huberdeau and Perron nobody would be complaining.

Like I've stated before, it has nothing to do with under drafting the Q and everything about Montreal not having what is perceived to be French Canadian superstars. Montreal could have drafted three Q players in the last 9 years but if it was Giroux, Huberdeau and Perron nobody would be complaining.

You're right that a franco superstar would help. But in terms of the names you list, Pacioretty is at least as good as Perron and Huberdeau is still not anywhere close to an NHL superstar. So the complaint really boils down to missing Giroulx. This is the exact opposite of a meaningful sample size and basically attacks the organization for not being 100% perfect in terms of Quebec drafting - which no organization will ever be. Like I said, the whole argument is absolute and total garbage.

• Upvote 1

You're right that a franco superstar would help. But in terms of the names you list, Pacioretty is at least as good as Perron and Huberdeau is still not anywhere close to an NHL superstar. So the complaint really boils down to missing Giroulx. This is the exact opposite of a meaningful sample size and basically attacks the organization for not being 100% perfect in terms of Quebec drafting - which no organization will ever be. Like I said, the whole argument is absolute and total garbage.

But RDS has nothing else to bitch about, so will never end, sort of like Coach's Corner.

• Upvote 1

But RDS has nothing else to bitch about, so will never end, sort of like Coach's Corner.

If the team won the Stanley Cup and someone said, "Yeah, but it doesn't mean much without more Francos" I'm pretty sure that's the one time where RDS viewers would turn on them.

Win the Cup and the bullshit stops. For a few months.

If the team won the Stanley Cup and someone said, "Yeah, but it doesn't mean much without more Francos" I'm pretty sure that's the one time where RDS viewers would turn on them.

Win the Cup and the bullshit stops. For a few months.

Yeah, for a few months. The same BS was flying around when the Habs were winning with guys like Roy, Carbo, Claude Lemieux, and Damphousse - not to mention after having traded the great Chris Chelios for the washed-up Denis Savard. I remember that bozo Stephane Richer accusing the Habs of getting rid of all their French players when they traded him for Muller, in a trade that merely set the table for the 1993 Cup. I also remember a lot of snide bitching about ANGLO Pat Burns favouring English players. (No measly 'bilingual' requirement there - you had to have the right bloodlines). This crapola never stops, except, as you say, for the summer after a Cup win. Then it all starts up again.

Yeah, for a few months. The same BS was flying around when the Habs were winning with guys like Roy, Carbo, Claude Lemieux, and Damphousse - not to mention after having traded the great Chris Chelios for the washed-up Denis Savard. I remember that bozo Stephane Richer accusing the Habs of getting rid of all their French players when they traded him for Muller, in a trade that merely set the table for the 1993 Cup. I also remember a lot of snide bitching about ANGLO Pat Burns favouring English players. (No measly 'bilingual' requirement there - you had to have the right bloodlines). This crapola never stops, except, as you say, for the summer after a Cup win. Then it all starts up again.

I just want, say, Red Wings consistency. Then I wouldn't care what BS floats around.

Flynn was complaining about Mellanby yesterday saying he had no connection to the hockey culture in Montreal and it should have been Benoit Brunet hired.

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

These guys are morons... they don't even known Mellanby was born in Montreal, and probably think of Claude Giroux as a Quebecois hero.

Flynn was complaining about Mellanby yesterday saying he had no connection to the hockey culture in Montreal and it should have been Benoit Brunet hired.

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

These guys are morons... they don't even known Mellanby was born in Montreal, and probably think of Claude Giroux as a Quebecois hero.

:bonk: