Round Two: Bruins or Wings (Bruins)

Neech

The Habs will have about a week and a half off before the next game, which could turn out to be a blessing or a curse. I'm leaning towards the former, and that we'll have time to rest, practice and get healthy, and our coaching staff will hopefully come up with some dynamic plans to (probably) face one of the best teams in the league. I'm wondering if the Habs won't take a little three or four day get-away trip before the series starts to simulate the playoff environment and keep team chemistry high.

Galchenyuk and Moen will probably be ready to return, and this will likely result in Prust taking Bourney's spot on the fourth line and Chucky slotting in beside Pleks (Weise for Moen is more of a toss-up, and Weise has performed pretty well with Briere). This is a big wildcard for us in round two: Chucky as a dynamic offensive threat would be HUGE for our depth scoring, but on an off-night (which are pretty frequent for this sophomore) he's less effective than the smart, tenacious hustle brought by Bournival. Let's hope we see the good Chuck.

The Habs had everything go right for the last four games, and we can't expect that to continue much longer. Once again, few would choose Therrien as the superior coach in the next matchup, and while he acquitted himself very well last round in the face of doubters (like myself), now we won't be facing a team that's icing 9 rookies. The Bruins are a machine, and are as experienced as anyone (the Wings aren't too shabby either). We won't be able to get away with some of the sloppiness we saw against Tampa, and I don't expect Rask to let in the softies that Lindback did.

Which brings us to Carey Price. He'll absolutely have to be in top form - the kind we saw from him all season, and in the Olympics - for us to beat Boston (and even Detroit). For sure, he was good enough in round one, and there were many big saves, but there were also a few shaky moments that were more reminiscent of last year than this one. His .904 save percentage doesn't stand out. If we get the Vezina-worthy Carey Price in round two, we have a chance to beat anyone.

As good as the Habs record has been against Boston recently I would still give them a better chance of beating the Wings, although I do believe they will eventually face Boston and if they do it should make for a really epic series.

The Habs embody the true meaning of a dark horse team. They are capable of winning a series against any team in the league but at the same time I wouldent be totally shocked to see them loose a series against any team in the league.

I think the time off is always beneficial to a team and the rust argument is just what loosing teams use when they get beat. Whoever we play in the 2nd round, I don't think we'll be sweeping them so it will be interesting to see this team come back after a loss.

This is a very exciting time of year!

Let's do some analysis line by line:

First lines-Habs

Second-Bruins

Third-Habs+1

Fourth-Habs

First pairing-Boston

Second-Habs+1

Third-Habs

I think you're being pretty generous to our Habbies here. I'd rate the Bruins' forward depth as the best in the league, or close to it. Bergeron is a better Pleks, anyone would choose Kreijci over DD, Iginla-Lucic-Marchand-Ericksson stack up favourably to Patches-Vanek-Gallagher-Bourque/Galchenyuk. Their fourth line has been a two-way force for them for years. We got some depth scoring in round one, and we'll need it badly again vs Boston, because they're sure to get it too. There's no clear line for Pleks to match up against, because their whole lineup can score.

Their defense isn't quite on the same level, but the same could be said for ours. We have to cross our fingers that we'll see the good Emelin, and that PK brings his best. The fact that Bouillon-Weaver is listed as an advantage for us says it all. Maybe Boston's third pairing isn't much to look at on paper, but that is more than made up for by the smart team defense the whole of the Bruins squad plays.

I would prefer Detroit, not because I think we can easily beat them, but because I can't remember ever seeing the Habs play this Original Six team in the playoffs - despite a massive rivalry in the 1950s - and I think that would be a really cool, historic series. It would also make for tremendous hockey, they way it should be played, as two fast-skating puck-possession teams go at it.

Boston would also be a great series, of course. Greatest rivalry in the sport. But we've seen it a million times. It's almost always fantastic; I just prefer the "historic" caché of the alternative.

In terms of our chances, we will probably be the underdog by "experts" in either case, although I don't see why Detroit should be considered a better team than us. Seems more like a saw-off. Boston is clearly the superior team, yet we have a track record of giving them fits, so I'd expect both to be pretty close - potential classics.

I think you're being pretty generous to our Habbies here. I'd rate the Bruins' forward depth as the best in the league, or close to it. Bergeron is a better Pleks, anyone would choose Kreijci over DD, Iginla-Lucic-Marchand-Ericksson stack up favourably to Patches-Vanek-Gallagher-Bourque/Galchenyuk. Their fourth line has been a two-way force for them for years. We got some depth scoring in round one, and we'll need it badly again vs Boston, because they're sure to get it too. There's no clear line for Pleks to match up against, because their whole lineup can score.

Their defense isn't quite on the same level, but the same could be said for ours. We have to cross our fingers that we'll see the good Emelin, and that PK brings his best. The fact that Bouillon-Weaver is listed as an advantage for us says it all. Maybe Boston's third pairing isn't much to look at on paper, but that is more than made up for by the smart team defense the whole of the Bruins squad plays.

I don't think i'm being generous, Bishop or not, we made TBL, a 101 point team, look like a Lottery Club.

Krejci is a fine player, but Iggy is declining, and Looch is a blown up version of Chris Neil.

Our bottom 6 blows them out of the water.

Florek-Soderberg-Eriksson is going to get jobbed by Gio-Eller-Bourque. I don't think they're going to have the puck.

Caron-Campbell-Thornton has one legitimate NHLer.

There are five VERY questionable players in that bottom six, and their depth is already being challenged. In the last week they've iced Corey Potter, Jordan Caron, Florek, and they already have liabilities like Torey Krug.

"The fact that Bouillon-Weaver is listed as an advantage for us says it all."

This is rich...Bouillon and Weaver have thousands of NHL games under their belt, and Weaver was a +3 last game. If you don't think that they're better than Torrey Krug and Kevin Miller, well...there's always the Montreal Impact to follow!

Moan will likely bump Bournival, wouldn't he? And Alex push Prust to 4th line?

Or will it depend on opponent? Or will coaches not want to tweek lineup at all?

JoeLassister's keys to success :

1. Carey Price on top of his game (duh)

2. P.K. Subban avoiding the box.

3. Our PP, because we all know that Boston's players will eventually get pissed and take some idiot penalties.

4. Someone has to step up against Lucic's line. I say Emelin should take care of Lucic (trying to avoid getting killed in the meantime).

JoeLassister's keys to success :

1. Carey Price on top of his game (duh)

2. P.K. Subban avoiding the box.

3. Our PP, because we all know that Boston's players will eventually get pissed and take some idiot penalties.

4. Someone has to step up against Lucic's line. I say Emelin should take care of Lucic (trying to avoid getting killed in the meantime).

Gio and Emelin would drive Lucic crazy.

Guest Stogey24

Moan will likely bump Bournival, wouldn't he? And Alex push Prust to 4th line?

Or will it depend on opponent? Or will coaches not want to tweek lineup at all?

How can u change a lineup that just went four straight? (Not trying to sound like a dick). I would 100% keep Bournival in. Galchenyuk obviously needs to make his way back into the line up, but I would have a tough time changing anything.

I don't think i'm being generous, Bishop or not, we made TBL, a 101 point team, look like a Lottery Club.

Krejci is a fine player, but Iggy is declining, and Looch is a blown up version of Chris Neil.

Our bottom 6 blows them out of the water.

Florek-Soderberg-Eriksson is going to get jobbed by Gio-Eller-Bourque. I don't think they're going to have the puck.

Caron-Campbell-Thornton has one legitimate NHLer.

There are five VERY questionable players in that bottom six, and their depth is already being challenged. In the last week they've iced Corey Potter, Jordan Caron, Florek, and they already have liabilities like Torey Krug.

Eller is the same guy who you wanted off the continent a couple of weeks ago. Ditto for Bourque. Some improved play buoyed by some very weak goals on a shaky backup don't make THAT big a difference. I think if you polled a bunch of neutrals, they'd take Boston's bottom 6 over ours by a wide margin. That's a group that has Cup experience together. The neutrals would also take their top 6 over ours. This isn't to say that we're totally outclassed, just that if you're looking for advantages for the Habs over the Bruins, they're not on paper. That team is STACKED, and deserved its President's Trophy.

Four wins - three by the skin of our teeth - against an inexperienced side missing their starting goalie and their captain don't suddenly make us better than the team with the best record in the league.

• Upvote 1

Eller is the same guy who you wanted off the continent a couple of weeks ago. Ditto for Bourque. Some improved play buoyed by some very weak goals on a shaky backup don't make THAT big a difference. I think if you polled a bunch of neutrals, they'd take Boston's bottom 6 over ours by a wide margin. That's a group that has Cup experience together. The neutrals would also take their top 6 over ours. This isn't to say that we're totally outclassed, just that if you're looking for advantages for the Habs over the Bruins, they're not on paper. That team is STACKED, and deserved its President's Trophy.

Four wins - three by the skin of our teeth - against an inexperienced side missing their starting goalie and their captain don't suddenly make us better than the team with the best record in the league.

The bottom six isn't a cup winning powerhouse, they won the Cup three years ago, and Sodergerg, Eriksson, Florek, and Caron weren't on that team. In their top-6 Reilly Smith had something crazy like 10 goals in 20 games.

Imo, the Team Cup Winning factor is irrelevant after two seasons, and the third is the absolute last gasp.

As for the weak goals, there were two or three.

I don't think the Bruins are stacked at all. They don't have any big names besides Chara and Rask. Where they win is in the face off circle, along the boards, on the cycle and by playing a disciplined team game. They aren't invincible.

Where the Bruins won the Cup, imo was their third line. Peverly-Kelly-Ryder had 42! points that run.

Can they count on the same production from Florek, Sodergerg, and Eriksson. Doubtful.

Can they count on the same production from Florek, Sodergerg, and Eriksson. Doubtful.

I hope not, but Eriksson is a hell of a player to have on your third line. We're going to need the good Eller and the good Bourque this round. A lot of weight on the shoulders of a couple of guys who barely showed up all year.

How can u change a lineup that just went four straight? (Not trying to sound like a dick). I would 100% keep Bournival in. Galchenyuk obviously needs to make his way back into the line up, but I would have a tough time changing anything.

Because Moan is the best PK forward on team besides Plekanec and Tampa was dangerous on PP, but weaker team than Wings-Bruins. And Bournival has been weak defensively, fast and bright future but rookie with flaws.

And Galchenyuk is so skilled and future star of team and many say Prust has sucked (not myself).

But like you say, how can you fiddle with winning combo? SO, do you wait till first loss or 2 before any changes?

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla

Pax - DD - Vanek

The neutrals would pick Boston over Montreal ? Not sure at all about that.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

That is pretty even matchup. Even for the "neutrals".

Florek (whoever that is) - Soderberg - Eriksson

Bourque - Eller - Gionta

Honestly, with how Bourque and Eller played recently, I pick our guys anyday.

But on the long term, especially this season, Boston were better.

Right now ? I don't think their 3rd is really better than our 3rd.

Caron - Campbell - Thornton

Weise/Prust - Brière - Bournival/Moen

We definitely have the edge offensively. Physically, depends who's in and who sit.

One sure thing, this series will be insane !!!

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla

Pax - DD - Vanek

The neutrals would pick Boston over Montreal ? Not sure at all about that.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

That is pretty even matchup. Even for the "neutrals".

Line 1: The neutrals would pick Krecji over DD for sure, and Iginla over Vanek is pretty close but I'd say it still goes that way. That leaves Lucic vs Patches, where most people would pick Patches, but Lucic brings an x-factor which can be especially big in the playoffs.

Line 2: Bergeron is like Pleks but superior in pretty much every way, Marchand is very effective and has Cup experience (sort of what we hope Gallagher will be), Galcheyuk had a worse season than Smith. Not even close for the neutrals.

Line 2: Bergeron is like Pleks but superior in pretty much every way, Marchand is very effective and has Cup experience (sort of what we hope Gallagher will be), Galcheyuk had a worse season than Smith. Not even close for the neutrals.

True, Riley Smith was the real return on the Seguin trade, not Ericksson.

Listen, I don't want to be Mr. Negative over here, killing our collective buzz after a great series, but Boston is a better team than us on paper. They were further ahead of us in points than we were ahead of Toronto, Winnipeg and Ottawa. Their goal differential was +73 better than ours over the course of the season (nearly a full goal per game). Their style of play fits better with the juggernauts of the West, like St Louis, San Jose and LA, than with the also rans of the East (one of whom we just eliminated). Their core has been to two Cup finals, and won one, in the last three seasons. We're looking at four games of rejuvenated Eller and Bourque and saying we have equal forward depth? We outplayed a marginal playoff team who got hit by a string of bad luck at the wrong time - sort of like what Ottawa did to us last year. Did the ease with which Ottawa dispatched us last year make them play any better when they faced a true contender in the next round?

I think we have a better chance against Boston than Ottawa did against Pittsburgh last year, but we have to face the fact that we're matching up against a team that is better than us in almost any measurable way. Luckily, it's Habs-Bruins, and conventional wisdom generally gets tossed out the window.

Line 1: The neutrals would pick Krecji over DD for sure, and Iginla over Vanek is pretty close but I'd say it still goes that way. That leaves Lucic vs Patches, where most people would pick Patches, but Lucic brings an x-factor which can be especially big in the playoffs.

I guess "the neutrals" this off season will give Vanek a one year deal for 1.8 million, with bonuses that exceed the salary cap!

I guess "the neutrals" this off season will give Vanek a one year deal for 1.8 million, with bonuses that exceed the salary cap!

No. Cuz I don't believe one second that neutrals would pick Iginla over Vanek. Put Vanek with Lucic and Krejci and he becomes 10x what Iginla was this season. But Iginla drop the gloves...

I agree that Krejci is better than DD and that Bergeron is an upgrade on Plekanec though.

Yeah, you're right, Vanek probably comes out on top over Iginla, just for the stage they're at in their careers. But him and Patches are the only two forwards from our team that would get into that top 6, and they're going to have to show up big time. You know that Julien will have a plan to neutralize them and let Eller and Bourque try to win it for us.

How do teams deal with 7-9 days off between a series?

Beneficial to a long run, or historically do teams that sweep one round, struggle starting the next due to long layoff?

7 games for Cooke knee, about a lifetime ban short if ask me.