Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

It may be worth asking whether Eller's good half-season in 2013, and his hot playoff streak in 2014, weren't tied to Bourque's performance. Both events coincided with Bourque's only phases of being an impact player in our lineup, and the minute Bourque cooled off so did Eller. Considering that Bourque was a two-time 30 goal scorer, someone who, unlike Eller, actually did something at one time in the NHL, it may just be that he elevated his C. (Just a thought, not stated as fact). As for this idea that Eller is a playoff stud, one swallow does not make a summer. He did nothing special at all during the most recent post-season. Maybe he'll crack 40 points one day? How the crest has fallen from the days when we thought he'd become a genuine 2nd-line C. No one should pencil this loser in for more than 30 points and some OK defensive minutes.

I can't remember what thread I posted it in, but I believe Eller plays up or down to the level of his linemates. Throw random guys on his line and he is going to struggle to generate offense, the priority will be defense. Put him with guys who can play offensively, and he will thrive. I just think that's the way it is for certain players. While some make others around them better, others feed off their linemates. Put Crosby exclusively on the 4th line in Pittsburgh, he makes the line better, but his numbers will go down. An extreme example but it makes my point. Note: I may have had too many beers to make sense.

I can't remember what thread I posted it in, but I believe Eller plays up or down to the level of his linemates. Throw random guys on his line and he is going to struggle to generate offense, the priority will be defense. Put him with guys who can play offensively, and he will thrive. I just think that's the way it is for certain players. While some make others around them better, others feed off their linemates. Put Crosby exclusively on the 4th line in Pittsburgh, he makes the line better, but his numbers will go down. An extreme example but it makes my point. Note: I may have had too many beers to make sense.

Sure, except... everyone forgets who Eller's linemates were in his best season: http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2012-13/regseason/forw_81LE.html

While he usually had Galchenyuk on his wing, he had Armstrong or Prust 24.4% at the same time. The only times he played with purely offensive wingers were for 21.4% of the time (Chuck-Eller-Ryder, Chuck-Eller-Gally, Eller-DD-Cole, Chuck-Eller-Cole). I doubt all of his offence that season came in that 21.4% of the time he played with two offensive wingers.

He got hot with the EGG line to start 13-14 and cooled down before Gallagher got moved off the line but still had Galchenyuk. Then he lost Galchenyuk, got put with Bourque and ripped it up with Bourque in the playoffs. In 14-15 he played chunks on the wing with DLR, chunks with Prust, chucks with Weise and chunks with Sekac. He put up the same amount of points as the year before.

The whole "Eller needs two offensive wingers to produce" analysis doesn't hold water for me unless someone can look at his numbers and show he needs two skilled wingers to put up points. From my research, what he really needs is Subban on the ice. Subban's on the ice for a lot of his points.

Gallagher Desharnais 7th 2017 & 2018

RNH Hendricks McCarron 5th 2016

Pacioretty RNH Semin

Galchenyuk Plek Kassian

De la Rose Eller Weise

Hendricks Mitchell DSP

Bournival Flynn

*insert sinister laugh

:ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Okay, even though the Habs have been playing well - it's still fun to speculate trades. How about:

To Mtl:

- Radim Vrbata, RW

To Vcr:

- Lars Eller, LW

- Sven Andrighetto, RW

I don't mind Gilbert, and he seems like a hard working player, I just think the Habs need a Pateryn/Tinordi type, and at this point I would like to see Pateryn obviously.

I do believe Tinordi has the tools to move the puck, and be an effective shut down NHL'er...but at this point, tools maybe, just not the brain/mentality.

Tinordi probably would welcome a trade at this point, and Pateryn will get a shot when an injury comes on D. Just my 2 cents, a "I hope" thing;)

Yeah, same here, I like Pateryn a lot. But gotta say that I'm pleasantly surprised at Gillys play thus far. Emelin too. Tinordi may find the opportunity elsewhere. It's just a damn shame that we used a 1st round pick to select him, and he didn't pan out. It must be tough growing up in the shadow of a tough defensive defenseman at home. Maybe his road was too easy for him growing up, and he didn't learn mental toughness, idk? There's just too much missing from his game I think

hahahaha Growing up in the shadow of his fathere... Didn't learn mental toughness... !!!

Like you actually know anything about his level of mental toughness...

Like you actually know everthing he went through during his entire life...

Unless you're a psychiatrist who followed someone for X numbers of sessions, no one should ever speculate about someone else's "mental status".

• Upvote 1

hahahaha Growing up in the shadow of his fathere... Didn't learn mental toughness... !!!

Unless you're a psychiatrist who followed someone for X numbers of sessions, no one should ever speculate about someone else's "mental status".

A little harsh I think.

To Washington

- Lars Eller

To Montreal

- Marcus Johansson

Capitals need a third line centre. Habs need a permanent LW solution. Johansson an RFA in the summer.

Why would we do that? we get the same player back with less physicality. I think we have to just accept that Lars is a 3rd line center. All be it right now an over paid 3rd line center.

To Washington

- Lars Eller

To Montreal

- Marcus Johansson

Capitals need a third line centre. Habs need a permanent LW solution. Johansson an RFA in the summer.

Interesting although Johansson will be a pricier RFA than Eller's salary (his QO is $3.75 M).

Why would we do that? we get the same player back with less physicality. I think we have to just accept that Lars is a 3rd line center. All be it right now an over paid 3rd line center.

Johansson's a better offensive player than Eller. If Eller's staying in the #2 LW spot long-term, Johansson is probably a better fit for the Habs.

Gilbert's contract expires this year and (likely) won't get re-signed; so we should expect Pateryn to fit into that slot starting in 2016-17. Therefore, we shouldn't move Pateryn because of Gilbert.

Tinordi is another question.

Gilbert's contract expires this year and (likely) won't get re-signed; so we should expect Pateryn to fit into that slot starting in 2016-17. Therefore, we shouldn't move Pateryn because of Gilbert.

Tinordi is another question.

Teams are calling about Tinordi so I get the feeling he will be dealt between now and the trade deadline. We can replace his spot with either Barberio or picking up a veteran D.

Speaking of haha...

Sometimes, make that quite often, it's quite easy and fitting to speculate on someone's mental status...

I'm wondering about yours right now. ;)

• Upvote 2

Indeed. Way too easy. Way too fitting.

I hated Yvon Pedneault while he was the colour guy on RDS for the same reason : trying to explain us how X player was thinking, how he was feeling.

Like he knew anything about it.

Indeed. Way too easy. Way too fitting.

I hated Yvon Pedneault while he was the colour guy on RDS for the same reason : trying to explain us how X player was thinking, how he was feeling.

Like he knew anything about it.

Well, it might be worth speculating about a player's mindset in some cases. Most notably, when a player is prodigously talented and yet seems chronically incapable of consistently delivering results - or when a once-successful player suddenly tanks. Otherwise put, obvious anomalies tend to invite such speculation, and that's not completely unreasonable. I do agree that, most of the time, people drone on about player X's 'character' as if it's an established fact while knowing next to nothing about it (although, in fairness, we can infer clues from their patterns of behaviour on the ice).

EDIT: further thought here - we arguably indulge in such speculation way more for COACHES than we do for players. E.g., a good chunk of posters on here have sized up Therrien as an irrational egotist who holds players down for no reason other than his ego. Since we are all completely in the dark about what goes on in the locker room and in MT's dealings with players, this is no better-founded than saying that such-and-such a player 'lacks mental toughness,' etc.

What would Semin bring back in a trade I wonder? :nuts:

(sorry had to do it, we all know no other GM would touch him with 10 foot pole)

Dunno bud, maybe someone would give him a try for 1 mil? I know you are workin' the phones!

Naw, you're nuts ;)