St. John's IceCaps offseason thread

DON

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news around development camp of invitees other than the normal suspects?

It's a bit early for that. We know Alex Dubeau will be there but that's the only confirmed invitee. Most of them won't be known until after the draft.

So how do you interpret that? They dont see him in future plan and are not sold on his upside at all?

I think they like him but aren't entirely sold on him. This is a 'show us' contract. Play well and you get an NHL deal next summer. If not, they don't have to deal with having him on the 50 contract limit for another year. Teams have done this more in recent years.

• 3 weeks later...

Drayson Bowman and Eric Tangradi won't be back with the farm team next year as they won't be tendered qualifying offers. Neither is really surprising although it would be nice to have someone more than just Dumont as veteran talent up front. No team wins without strong veterans, something that Bergevin and company don't really seem to be too concerned about.

Is Hensick coming back?

I hope so but nothing's signed yet. They need some veteran offensive options.

I thought Tangradi would be back

The Habs have a knack for letting these types of players go to try to catch on with another NHL team that can give them more of a shot. (What would be nice is if they replace these two...something I don't expect to happen unfortunately).

I hope so but nothing's signed yet. They need some veteran offensive options.

The Habs have a knack for letting these types of players go to try to catch on with another NHL team that can give them more of a shot. (What would be nice is if they replace these two...something I don't expect to happen unfortunately).

i think all teams do that. These are borderline NHLers. If you let the dust settle and everybody has a chance at them, then it is not likely you would lose them to waivers if you sign them later. Any "hot" demand would be eliminated.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, St. John's added a goalie to the fold, signing Eddie Pasquale to a one year AHL deal. Assuming he's healthy (he missed all of last year with a hip injury), that could force Fucale to the ECHL to start next year.

Larry Carriere's (asst. GM in Montreal) son has been named an assistant coach with the IceCaps. He spent the last 10 years as head coach of a Division III college school I've never heard of (Buffalo State). He had winning records in 3 of those seasons. He replaces Stephane LeBeau behind the bench. Something tells me he wasn't the best option out there...

Larry Carriere's (asst. GM in Montreal) son has been named an assistant coach with the IceCaps. He spent the last 10 years as head coach of a Division III college school I've never heard of (Buffalo State). He had winning records in 3 of those seasons. He replaces Stephane LeBeau behind the bench. Something tells me he wasn't the best option out there...

Did he study power play in college? Or did Larry just need to get sonny boy a job?

Did he study power play in college? Or did Larry just need to get sonny boy a job?

I can't say for certain but I'd lean towards the latter. He didn't need a job (he could have stayed where he was) but this was an opportunity to give him a big promotion.

Whaaat, you don't think it is totally coincidental they are related and end up in same organization? :blush:

Sort of like PG Cougars GM, has one son, Jansen Harkins, on his team and then he just drafted his other son.

Rule changes for this coming season:

- Playoffs are now divisional format. The top four in each division gets in unless a fifth place team in the other in-conference division has a higher points percentage than a fourth place team.

- The first round of the playoffs will now be best-of-five. Everything else stays best-of-seven.

- OT is now back to 5 minutes, full 3-on-3 like the NHL. There will be a dry scrape before the period starts.

- Teams can use a coach's challenge as long as they have a timeout.

Did Sorkin sign elsewhere?

Nope, he's still a free agent.

Got a guess how St. Johns roster might look come Oct?

Goalies:

Condon, Fucale, Pasquale (maybe flip the last two if they want Fucale to be a starter)

Defence:

Barberio (V) - Dietz

Bennett - Lernout

Hanley - Ellis

Johnston - Didier

Thrower

Forwards:

Carr - Hudon - Andrighetto

Bournival/Thomas - McCarron - Holloway (V)

Bozon - Dumont (V) - Scherbak

MacMillan - Gregoire - McNally

Crisp/Fournier

Italics: Must clear waivers

Grey: AHL contract

(V) - Qualify for veteran status

I can see one of Bournival or Thomas perhaps going through waivers while the other sticks. Holloway and Barberio clearing are question marks but this is just a best case depth chart at this point. I'm hoping for at least one more defence signing on the left side and 3-5 more forwards signed. It's likely St. John's will carry a larger roster than Hamilton did last year so if they want to have a few players in Brampton, they'll need more players signed than usual.

Pasquale was signed as a local draw. Doubt he's going anywhere.

Not playing in more than a year and a half doesn't make it seem likely that he'll start with the IceCaps at least. I believe Pasquale mentioned himself that he figures he'll be in Brampton (which is right at home for him, he's from Toronto) at some point this coming season.

Quite honestly, I could see he and Fucale flip-flopping at times. My guess is that they'll want Condon to get a good chunk of the AHL workload but at the same time have Fucale play. To do that, Fucale will have to be in Brampton at some point. When he's not, Pasquale will get to play in front of his family at times but he'll get to spend some time where he had his AHL success before as well. Win-win.