St. John's IceCaps offseason thread

DON

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you getting that warm fuzzy feeling yet that the St. John's Habs should make the playoffs? :blush:

I'd like to see the opening roster before making that assessment. Mainly, do they have something resembling a competent defence corps? If Barberio doesn't make it down, they're in a lot of trouble on the blueline.

It appears the Habs went after McCarron's older brother but he opted to sign with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton instead:

Earlier this week, he signed with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Pittsburgh’s AHL farm team, but he also had been wooed to play for St. John’s.

“But I didn’t want to be the other McCarron, so to speak, because my brother was a first-round pick there. It was a hard decision not to play with him, although I would’ve loved to have done that,” John McCarron told the Cornell Daily Sun.

“I wanted to make a name for myself. Obviously, I would’ve loved to have played with my brother, but I didn’t want to be known as the other McCarron, so to speak.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/2015-09-18/article-4280516/A-hodgepodge-of-hockey-news/1

• 2 weeks later...

17 assigned to iceCaps so far: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780616

The following players have been assigned to St. John’s (* injured player):

Mac Bennett, Tim Bozon, Connor Crisp, Stefan Fournier, Dalton Thrower, Travis Brown, Edward Pasquale, Nicolas Blanchard, Angelo Miceli, Jamal Watson, Zachary Fucale, Ryan Johnston,Brett Lernout, Mark MacMillan (*), Brandon McNally (*), Markus Eisenschmid (*) et Josiah Didier (*).

Yes too bad Bennett gone so quick, but Habs are deep in middling d-men at the moment.

I find it interesting that Hanley gets a preseason game but not him. That suggests I may have them backwards in the pecking order and that it might be Hanley as the 2nd pairing LD to start the year (behind Barberio).

The list of new invites to camp is laughably poor. Joining Nicolas Blanchard, who now seems like a shoo-in to make the team due to lack of veteran competition are:

G Ben Goss - DNP last year aside from dressing one game as an emergency backup. Before that he was in a league called the NSJHL where he posted lousy numbers.

F Jeff Brown - signed to Brampton and split last season between the Beast and the CIS.

F Calin Wild - 28 year old forward who is captain of the Beast.

Suffice it to say, none of those three should last more than a week at camp. Here's hoping Eisenschmid and Watson earn contracts.

on the 98.5 webpage (french broadcaster) they are mentioning that he got hurt during the game and that the team confirmed right after the game that he had been assigned to St. John.

From the webpage, quoting MT:

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/des-bemols-sur-la-glace-et-l-eclairage-au-centre-v-738856.html

«Il a été blessé pendant la rencontre, mais il a bien fait quand il a joué, a déclaré Therrien. Hudon a aussi bien joué. Les jeunes ont bien fait cela.»

Le Canadien a cependant annoncé après la rencontre qu'il avait cédé Scherbak aux IceCaps de Hamilton.

====

I missed the game, so I don't know how and how much he was hurt.

Edited by alfredoh2009