2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Vancouver has asked Bieksa to waive his NTC. That doesn't come as much of a surprise given their cap situation. https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/614122479259226112

I don't know how, or whether, Bieksa fits into his, but there interesting rumours here in Van that they've contacted Boston about Lucic.

I don't know how, or whether, Bieksa fits into his, but there interesting rumours here in Van that they've contacted Boston about Lucic.

My guess is that they're probably unrelated. Boston needs help on D for sure but they can't take any on big ticket contracts. They need to move one or two just to cover Hamilton's expected raise.

Speaking of the B's, they just dealt Carl Soderberg's negotiating rights to Colorado for a 6th rounder. Presumably, the Avs are looking at him as an O'Reilly replacement.

Soderberg is set to sign for 5 years at $4.75 M per year with the Avs. Let the O'Reilly derby commence.

Mike Fisher re-signs in Nashville to the surprise of precisely no one. 2 years, $8.8 M, not a bad deal.

Robin Lehner and David Legwand have been dealt to Buffalo for the 21st pick in tonight's draft. That's a solid return for the Sens, better than I thought they'd get.

Wow eh, I did not think Soderberg would get that much

Soderberg is one of those rare free agents where you think there still may be some upside in the player (Petry was another one to some degree). He didn't look out of place as a 2nd line C with Boston but also spent a lot of time as a 3rd liner. If moved into a full time 2nd line role, can he be a consistent 50 point player? Extrapolating his numbers suggests he could be. Knowing that, he was bound to get a pretty big deal.

So if he is moved to 2nd line he can likely almost match DD's production eh.

He almost did last year - Desharnais had 48 points, Soderberg 44. Desharnais makes $3.5 M; add in the fact that Soderberg is younger, bigger, and plays a two-way game, plus the fact that the cap has gone up since Desharnais signed his deal and there's your extra million and change in the difference of contracts.

Someone has offered a 1st rounder for Cam Talbot now...and the Rangers are still holding out for more. How desperate are these teams? He's unrestricted in a year, this could potentially be a rental situation.

Someone has offered a 1st rounder for Cam Talbot now...and the Rangers are still holding out for more. How desperate are these teams? He's unrestricted in a year, this could potentially be a rental situation.

Too bad this wasn't the year we had Halak to trade

Too bad this wasn't the year we had Halak to trade

I don't get it. For years we've been told the goalie market is soft, that teams - for some reason - weren't willing to cough up major assets to get a goalie. And now, suddenly, all these teams seem to have done a 180 and are willing to sell the farm for Lehrner, Lack, and Talbot. For all their supposed expertise, teams seem to operate according to a herd mentality as much as anything else.

I don't get it. For years we've been told the goalie market is soft, that teams - for some reason - weren't willing to cough up major assets to get a goalie. And now, suddenly, all these teams seem to have done a 180 and are willing to sell the farm for Lehrner, Lack, and Talbot. For all their supposed expertise, teams seem to operate according to a herd mentality as much as anything else.

And it's not like they're doing this thinking it's a weak UFA goalie market next offseason which might justify overpaying now. On top of Talbot, Lack is one year away from free agency.

I think it's supply and demand. There are four or five teams looking for goalies and the same type of backup available. I don't think besides Niemi there are many true #1 goalies to be had in free agency.

I guess short of Mike Condon, Tokarski will be in next year.

For shits and giggles, what would Price command if he was to be traded?

(And by no means am I suggesting anything of this sort)

Someone asked me this today. If it has no context? You'd have to give up Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, John Tavares, Alex Ovechkin, etc.

With context, it means Price likely asked to be traded so his value is a goaltender with two years before free agency. Team knows it's a distraction so they need to move him soon. Other clubs know and would lowball. I'm guessing a package like Tarasenko/Allen or Burns/Hertl/Couture.

Dougie Hamilton is reportedly about to go to Calgary. No word on for what yet but I'm sure the return is quite significant.

As a Habs fan that is great news. You would think they would have done anything necessary to keep him.

Dougie Hamilton is reportedly about to go to Calgary. No word on for what yet but I'm sure the return is quite significant.

Apparently for Calgary's 1st round pick. Kinda surprising no?

Picks 15, 45, and 52 for Hamilton. No players going Boston's way (a telling sign about their cap situation). Good deal for the Flames, though they'll have quite a pricey blueline before long considering Giordano is a year away from free agency.

Picks 15, 45, and 52 for Hamilton. No players going Boston's way (a telling sign about their cap situation). Good deal for the Flames, though they'll have quite a pricey blueline before long considering Giordano is a year away from free agency.

yeah I just didn't have all the info but still very surprising that Boston let him go for that.

Strange move for Boston. If they have cap issues, you'd think they'd move veterans, not a top-pairing young defenceman! And what is it with that franchise, trading away highly-touted young players early in their careers? Kessel, Seguin, now Hamilton...

Rumour has it the B's aren't done, either. Lucic's name keeps being thrown around. Are they in 'dismantle' mode, then?

All I know is Calgary looks pretty darned good: MUCH better than anyone would have expected two years ago.

Strange move for Boston. If they have cap issues, you'd think they'd move veterans, not a top-pairing young defenceman! And what is it with that franchise, trading away highly-touted young players early in their careers? Kessel, Seguin, now Hamilton...

Rumour has it the B's aren't done, either. Lucic's name keeps being thrown around. Are they in 'dismantle' mode, then?

All I know is Calgary looks pretty darned good: MUCH better than anyone would have expected two years ago.

flames robbed the bruins. My question is, how did edmonton NOT trade the 16th plus their seconds (I think they have two) and a mid level prospect to beat out the flames? Hamilton would be so utterly perfect for the oilers.