Galchenyuk to play centre

Meller93

Well MB said it! That sly cat was a bull$4!ter in the spring, and nabbed Galchenyuk for a cheaper deal.

But this actually has some pretty big repercussions. If he stays, we have DD plex and Eller all fighting for the top 3 lines with him. Who moves where?

And who else is happy Bergevin made a point to announce this?

Yes, I saw that! and I am jumping for joy :hyper:

Reading this board and listening to what transpire from interviews with MT and MB, it seems to me that Bounival/Carr/DelaRose have a crack at running for that left-wing spot with Deharnais falling to the Eller line. I just don't see Deharnais on a second line with Pleks unless Semin and Gallagher swap spots.

Pacioretty-Galcheynuk-Semin

Bournival-Plekanec-Gallagher

Desharnais-Eller-Kassian

Weise-Mitchell-Smith-Pelly

(Flynn)

Cant' wait for October to roll in.

Go Habs Go!

Well MB said it! That sly cat was a bull$4!ter in the spring, and nabbed Galchenyuk for a cheaper deal.

But this actually has some pretty big repercussions. If he stays, we have DD plex and Eller all fighting for the top 3 lines with him. Who moves where?

And who else is happy Bergevin made a point to announce this?

DD told multiple reporters he is ready to play wing and knew the day would come that Galchenyuk would be "top three".

He's a definite team player.

DD told multiple reporters he is ready to play wing and knew the day would come that Galchenyuk would be "top three".

He's a definite team player.

Glad to hear that, makes me like DD more, and I already liked him (just not as the #1 centre)

This also gives us a read on Bergevin, and the read is that he will say things to the press that aren't necessarily true.

Glad to hear that, makes me like DD more, and I already liked him (just not as the #1 centre)

This also gives us a read on Bergevin, and the read is that he will say things to the press that aren't necessarily true.

Word is that Galchenyuk was told at June exit interviews he needs to train to play centre by Therrien and Bergevin.

It was all bluff.

I know, but neither is DLR or Carr... and moving Eller up creates a hole in the third line.

Why not move Desharnais up from the 3rd line LW where you have and put one of those wingers on the 3rd (or 4th line)? Bournival is barely a top six option in the AHL let alone the NHL.

Why not move Desharnais up from the 3rd line LW where you have and put one of those wingers on the 3rd (or 4th line)? Bournival is barely a top six option in the AHL let alone the NHL.

dlbalr, because a line of DD-Pleks-Gally would be going back to the smurf days; and Pleky plays "bigger" when paired with robust linemates. I am just hoping that the hole on the second line left wing can be plugged by a prospect that catches fire... or through a trade. As much as I respect DD, I think he would be better besides Eller

dlbalr, because a line of DD-Pleks-Gally would be going back to the smurf days; and Pleky plays "bigger" when paired with robust linemates. I am just hoping that the hole on the second line left wing can be plugged by a prospect that catches fire... or through a trade. As much as I respect DD, I think he would be better besides Eller

That's fair, although I'd still rather a small line with those three than Bournival (who isn't the biggest either). I wouldn't be shocked to see something like this:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Desharnais - Galchenyuk - Semin

Just because they've decided to play Galchenyuk at C doesn't mean they're going to make him the #1 right away...or at all really. Pacioretty and Plekanec play well together and having a second C alongside Galchenyuk could come in handy at times.

What I want to see:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Semin - Plekanec - Kassian

Desharnais - Eller - Smith-Pelly

De La Rose - Mitchell - Weise

What I expect to see:

Semin - Galchenyuk - Weise

Desharnais - Eller - Kassian

De La Rose - Mitchell - Smith-Pelly

Semin on the RW:

Smith-Pelly - Eller - Kassian

Semin on the RW:

MoLG, you are right, I remmeber reading that Semin shoots right but plays left wing. But MT has consistently refused to put players on their "off wing" even if they played there before, even if they had success.

Why would you 'want' to see Galchenyuk thrust into #1 centre role?

Sink or swim is the way to go is it?

And if he happened to start as a #2 centre, on a short lease that would be to conservative or something?

If he has trained hard maybe he can handle the position this year and not get frickin creamed/concussed almost every game at centre, as he did last year till Bergevin likely pulled the plug on that failed experiment.

But to match him against the 29 other top centres in the league is askin a bit much...isn't it? :blush:

What I want to see:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Semin - Plekanec - Kassian

Desharnais - Eller - Smith-Pelly

What I expect to see:

Semin - Galchenyuk - Weise

Desharnais - Eller - Kassian

De La Rose - Mitchell - Smith-Pelly

Semin on the RW:

I'm a fan of the third suggestion you have, although what you want is good too. But do you actually expect Weise to get second line chances before Kassian? That would surprise me

And if he happened to start as a #2 centre, on a short lease that would be to conservative or something?

If he has trained hard maybe he can handle the position this year and not get frickin creamed/concussed almost every game at centre, as he did last year till Bergevin likely pulled the plug on that failed experiment.

But to match him against the 29 other top centres in the league is askin a bit much...isn't it? :blush:

I think putting him with Pacioretty and Gallagher ensures his scoring will be there but if the pressure is too high, you just flip him and Plekanec.

People WANT to see Galchenyuk at C because they (or 'we') correctly believe that Desharnais is simply not effective enough in the playoffs in his current role.

Just because we want it, however - and this is where your post comes in - doesn't mean Galchenyuk can deliver on it, or that it's the best thing for his development or the team. That's the qualifier that fans generally overlook. (Instead, we blame Therrien).

Still, we would be crazy not to give Galchenyuk a nice long look at C, provided he wants to play C and isn't getting his teeth handed to him on a nightly basis. He is, after all, our only young player with potentially impressive offensive upside.

• Upvote 1

Here is what I can tell you about the line up, you are all correct cause at any given time what ever line you have Le Genius will use. The magical blender will be going full speed. I fully expect that Semin at some point will be on the 4th line and wiese on the 1st. probably with Kassian.

Here is what I can tell you about the line up, you are all correct cause at any given time what ever line you have Le Genius will use. The magical blender will be going full speed. I fully expect that Semin at some point will be on the 4th line and wiese on the 1st. probably with Kassian.

Precisely. The 'magical blender' that is a standard accoutrement of modern coaching will indeed be hard at work, as it is on most teams; and this is why I've never really understood the point of posting imaginary line combinations.

Precisely. The 'magical blender' that is a standard accoutrement of modern coaching will indeed be hard at work, as it is on most teams; and this is why I've never really understood the point of posting imaginary line combinations.

At this point, line combos can often represent a depth chart of sorts. Everyone knows the blender/hat/wheel/coin flip will be used to construct the lines at some point or another but it can still be a useful exercise to see who could plug where and figure out where the interchangeable parts are. And, of course, when the coaches pick a different set of lines, it makes it easier to complain...

At this point, line combos can often represent a depth chart of sorts. Everyone knows the blender/hat/wheel/coin flip will be used to construct the lines at some point or another but it can still be a useful exercise to see who could plug where and figure out where the interchangeable parts are. And, of course, when the coaches pick a different set of lines, it makes it easier to complain...

You've got me there! The 'depth chart' function is indispensable, I'll admit. But of course that means the lines being posted are just a heuristic device to help us sort out our positional depth. Very useful, but only for that purpose :)

Guest Stogey24

dont be surprised if one of sherbak mcCarron or Carr force a trade.....

Galchenyuk will be the one to force a trade; if he ends up sticking at centre.

The only reason to put DD on the wing is if he's playing on the top two lines, because he's a better center, both defensively and offensively, than Eller. Either DD plays wing on 1st or 2nd line, or he ends up with more points than any other third line center in the league.

He's good for 45-50 points a year no matter what line you put him on.

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher

Semin Galchenyuk Scherbak

De la Rose Eller Kassian

Desharnais Mitchell Weise

Bournival Flynn Smith-Pelly