Zack Kassian involved in car accident; enters rehab

lazy26

Kassian in rehab.

I'm not surprised at all. He was on the party in Vancouver and clearly learned nothing from the fact that he PO'd three consecutive coaches in that city, including two quite reasonable ones in Vigneault and Desjardins.

I'd like to think he will clean up his act, but the odds are surely against it. Even if he stays off the sauce, there are issues of work ethic and commitment with this kid. And you look at other problem children like Ribeiro or even Kane, the pattern seems to remain in place even after they've supposedly 'cleaned up.'

It was a reasonable gamble by Bergeron given Prust's bloated and expiring contract and Kassian's tantalizing combo of size and skill. But that's what it was, a gamble. Listening to Bergevin speak, I doubt he will play another game in a Habs' jersey, frankly.

At least Kassian has publicly melted down BEFORE the season starts and he became a distraction and possible malign influence.

• Upvote 1

This is a good thing. Especially if he requested it. It was a relatively inexpensive lesson for him which hopefully will result in a cleaner lifestyle. I believe in second chances. Hopefully he wakes up. It's a big thing to step up and ask for help. We all have issues that we are unable to admit to. Admitting to a problem can be quite difficult. I wish him the best of luck.

Not sure if he will get a second chance. Bergevin looks pissed off. He had a bad training camp and now we learn that his behaviour and professionalism leave a lot to desire, to say the least. Big disappointment.

Not sure if he will get a second chance. Bergevin looks pissed off. He had a bad training camp and now we learn that his behaviour and professionalism leave a lot to desire, to say the least. Big disappointment.

I didn't catch enough of his last pre-season game but I don't think he was bad at all. First game he was the best on the roster (though the roster wasn't very good that game). Played perfectly fine for a bottom six. This is all still exhibition and next to meaningless for NHLers. Did Tomas Plekanec have a single shift where he didn't dog it? Carey Price allowed a few dumb goals. PK Subban spun a lot. Didn't care much.

He played better than anyone else on the roster in order to get a fourth line RW spot, and in the regular season he had every bit of skill to push Weise out of a spot. He was undisciplined, but that's a problem since junior. Not saying it's bad, but to say he had a bad camp is unfair. We're a weaker club without him.

OK now we know that he was out partying and being stupid. All that talent and no brains. Really sad. This will either get him going in the right direction or it will be a short detour in his trip to the bottom. I hope he learns his lesson.

Is alcohol the only drug in question?

That hasn't been said. I suspect it won't be either.

Edit: The CBA prevents any further disclosure from the team, player, league, or PA, beyond the joint press release as per CBA 34.3[c][viii].

Not officially, but you can't doubt that some rumours will be flying around. I honestly hope it is just alcohol, as a legal drug it just comes across as a lesser "mistake". I do feel bad for the guy.

so according Big Head Bob Mckenzie stage 2 is pretty serious, no pay, no play till doctor says ok. Is there a stage 3? I been looking and can't find any thing. I wonder if MB had a hand in making it a stage 2? Something like I am going to cancel his contract so we better make this serious. In which case he may have a shot at redemption.

Not officially, but you can't doubt that some rumours will be flying around. I honestly hope it is just alcohol, as a legal drug it just comes across as a lesser "mistake". I do feel bad for the guy.

Alcohol is probably one of the worst drugs you can be addicted to. There are very few functioning alcoholics in the world and I know from personal experience that alcohol can destroy your life like no other drug. I just have to look at some of my family members for that. Doing coke or smoking weed is not going to fuk you up like being addicted to alcohol.

I hope they don't write him off yet. I also believe in second chances and if it takes this to wake him up then it was worth it.

Edited by Habs owned the 70's

This is a good thing. Especially if he requested it. It was a relatively inexpensive lesson for him which hopefully will result in a cleaner lifestyle. I believe in second chances. Hopefully he wakes up. It's a big thing to step up and ask for help. We all have issues that we are unable to admit to. Admitting to a problem can be quite difficult. I wish him the best of luck.

Well said.

If you know what Bill Daly was quoted in talking about recently, that's something everyone in Windsor knows about Kass.

The thing with Kassian is, people have been pleading for him to 'wake up' since he first came into the league. This isn't his 'second chance,' it's more like his fifth or sixth.

The one hope is that the accident, and the public humiliation, are finally serious enough that they really do compel him to want to change his life. Remember Brian Fogarty? Few things are sadder than seeing a young person waste their talent and their life.

Alcohol is probably one of the worst drugs you can be addicted to. There are very few functioning alcoholics in the world and I know from personal experience that alcohol can destroy your life like no other drug. I just have to look at some of my family members for that. Doing coke or smoking weed is not going to fuk you up like being addicted to alcohol.

I hope they don't write him off yet. I also believe in second chances and if it takes this to wake him up then it was worth it.

I wasn't saying anything about the actual effects of the drugs. I know as well as you that alcohol is one of the most dangerous. My comment was about public perception. Simply because alcohol IS legal the media will get less up in arms about it. You can well imagine if Kassian is on cocaine the backlash would be bigger. Don't even get me started on weed. #Trudeau hahah

I'm also of the belief that he deserves a second chance. How many thousands of people have been in his situation. Doesn't mean he's a bad person, just means if he ever wants to be a successful NHLer he needs to buckle down.

Zack has no contract after this year. He will be an rfa. If he relapses, his career is probably over. I don't think anyone is going to waste any further resources on him unless he straightens out. Somehow I don't think he has an after career plan.

so according Big Head Bob Mckenzie stage 2 is pretty serious, no pay, no play till doctor says ok. Is there a stage 3? I been looking and can't find any thing. I wonder if MB had a hand in making it a stage 2? Something like I am going to cancel his contract so we better make this serious. In which case he may have a shot at redemption.

I'm glad I'm not the only who tosses 'big head' in front of Bob McKenzie. Years of Air Farce have drilled that into my head.

As for the question, yes, there is a Stage 3. I found a reference of Stage 3 in an old article about Theo Fleury: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-10-09/sports/0210090318_1_theo-fleury-behavioral-health-program-hawks

He was with an 18 year old broad and an 20 year old at 6am. I doubt they were going to church

Actually.. they were just behind me in the confession lineup! :rofl:

Yup.. I hope he gets it all together. He'll be happier and us too.

I'm glad I'm not the only who tosses 'big head' in front of Bob McKenzie. Years of Air Farce have drilled that into my head.

As for the question, yes, there is a Stage 3. I found a reference of Stage 3 in an old article about Theo Fleury: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-10-09/sports/0210090318_1_theo-fleury-behavioral-health-program-hawks

I loved Air Farce, I don't think Bob did. As we know shortly after this suspension, Theo was again suspended at the end of the season and his career came to a crashing halt. Let's hope that our big dummy is smarter than Theo, who was a great guy but not too smart.

One of two things will happen: He will either return to the team or he won't. It will be spun to the guys one of two ways: We are going to help him through this process because we are like a family. Or, we have no tolerance for that type of behavior on this team.

Being a windsor guy myself I can almost positively say its alchol, he has been deep in that since his days with the Spits tearing up downtown windsor. Shame because everyone was telling us hab fans here how he would fall off the wagon and that we basically traded Prust away for an "only a matter of time" kind of guy.

So far he looks right on the path of making them look like psychics, only smart thing he did in all this was not drive himself. but the ethics involved here are all wrong from top to bottom on his part, getting smashed into the wee hours of the morning days before a season opener just doesn't look good no matter what angle or glasses you use.

Guest Stogey24

Read a thing how H. Sedin was saying how he feels bad for Kassian and that he was a great guy to be around, just had some issues.