When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

And I thought you were a convert! :o

No I just said we can't argue with results, and a new contract. So I have quit picking on him, but do I think he is the 12th best coach in the NHL not even close. He is an average coach and like some players, who play way above their talent level, he gets results way above his talent level. But that is just me and my buddy The Pricester who think so. ;)

No I just said we can't argue with results, and a new contract. So I have quit picking on him, but do I think he is the 12th best coach in the NHL not even close. He is an average coach and like some players, who play way above their talent level, he gets results way above his talent level. But that is just me and my buddy The Pricester who think so. ;)

Yes I never thought he was extraordinary, but some of his roster moves which pissed off or confounded many was too funny (to me anyways)

And could I care less what kind of coach is passed the cup from Pacioretty? Results based job and why 99% of coaches don't last long with same team.

(also funny was that this is Therrien's 2nd kick at can, maybe next coach will be older-wiser Carbo? :tumbleweed: )

Yes I never thought he was extraordinary, but some of his roster moves which pissed off or confounded many was too funny (to me anyways)

And could I care less what kind of coach is passed the cup from Pacioretty? Results based job and why 99% of coaches don't last long with same team.

(also funny was that this is Therrien's 2nd kick at can, maybe next coach will be older-wiser Carbo? :tumbleweed: )

now that i would like to see. Carbs

btw Fired with a winning record. Fired after a 4-1 win in Dallas

now that i would like to see. Carbs

btw Fired with a winning record. Fired after a 4-1 win in Dallas

But wernt they in a big losing streak also was just after Gainey gave him extension wasn't it?

Always liked him as a player, but I think they said he wasn't good communicator or had big swelled head getting in the way?

But wernt they in a big losing streak also was just after Gainey gave him extension wasn't it?

Always liked him as a player, but I think they said he wasn't good communicator or had big swelled head getting in the way?

The problem was the Koivu thing. Koivu went to Gainey and said he had lost the room. Gainey fired him but after Big Bob took over the coaching and realized that the problem was not the coach but the players. In the off season Koivu and 1/2 the team were gonzo. Rebuild 2.

This is all conjecture based on rumor and innuendo, I have no facts to back this up. It is solely based on my own stupid logic.

Some of the rest of you should add that note to some of the crazy things I see on here. :)

Bring Carbo back.

and if I may add, had the best powerplay in the league in 08. Team led the NHL in GF,as well as finishing 1st place in the east, 2nd over all in 08. Beat the Bruins and lost to Flyers in 08 play offs, with Carey Price the rookie goalie in net.

"Bring Carbo back"

yea results are to be shared and inspected. Changes still can be made. Gionta and Gorges contributed to "results" ........... they were shown the door. just saying

yea results are to be shared and inspected. Changes still can be made. Gionta and Gorges contributed to "results" ........... they were shown the door. just saying

not that i dont agree with those two getting moved ...because i do

Carbonneau was a terrible coach. He also re-wired Habs fans into believing strong special teams is more important than a strong even strength game.

Naw.... I don't think so.

Where is the evidence he was a poor coach?

Naw.... I don't think so.

Where is the evidence he was a poor coach?

He led Team Canada to the relegation round at the World U-18's one year (with a pretty good roster might I add) and he wasn't all that great when he coached his own junior team. Worth noting, those are the only coaching jobs he has held since being fired over 5 years ago. That may not be direct evidence but the fact he hasn't surfaced elsewhere says a lot in itself about what the hockey world thinks of his abilities.

In terms of his time with the Habs, it came out after that his preparation before games was sorely lacking and that he didn't put in half the time that most coaches do.

Therrien also wasn't offered coaching jobs and is doing fine, so maybe Carbo has grown and more mature/wiser now? And being experienced & French automatically puts him darn near top of replacement list.

He led Team Canada to the relegation round at the World U-18's one year (with a pretty good roster might I add) and he wasn't all that great when he coached his own junior team. Worth noting, those are the only coaching jobs he has held since being fired over 5 years ago. That may not be direct evidence but the fact he hasn't surfaced elsewhere says a lot in itself about what the hockey world thinks of his abilities.

In terms of his time with the Habs, it came out after that his preparation before games was sorely lacking and that he didn't put in half the time that most coaches do.

"the fact he had not surfaced else where says alot in itself about what the hockey world thinks of his abilities"

funny.....i have said the exact same thing about therrien since he was canned in Pittsburg not resurfacing anywhere for what 5 years?

"says alot in itself about what the hockey world thinks of his abilities" .... I agree with you and "the hockey world".

Therrien also wasn't offered coaching jobs and is doing fine, so maybe Carbo has grown and more mature/wiser now? And being experienced & French automatically puts him darn near top of replacement list.

Therrien also had made the Stanley Cup finals. Carbonneau got a team to first in the East. Huge difference in demand.

Also the amount of time he was not coaching means zilch. Scotty Bowman stopped coaching in 86-87 and didn't coach again until 91-92 (he took a gig with Hockey Night in Canada and then worked for the Penguins in management). Lots of guys are very specific on where they will take coaching gigs.

Yep, well there's just as much evidence as you have there, in the facts that the Habs won the East, scored the most goals that year, and were really good defensively and on special teams as well.

Then Gainey says the reason for firing him was what he saw on the ice at practice? Gimmie a break....

It was the Koivu thing mentioned earlier in this thread, it's obvious.

I'm not saying he was a great coach, just saying it's not evident he was all that bad....

yea only thirty jobs to go around............carbs and MT only candidates for one.

Therrien also had made the Stanley Cup finals. Carbonneau got a team to first in the East. Huge difference in demand.

Also the amount of time he was not coaching means zilch. Scotty Bowman stopped coaching in 86-87 and didn't coach again until 91-92 (he took a gig with Hockey Night in Canada and then worked for the Penguins in management). Lots of guys are very specific on where they will take coaching gigs.

well scotty was offered lost of job. yes he is very specific. highly doubt therrien and carbs were getting all kinds of offers and turning them down.

Carbonneau was a terrible coach. He also re-wired Habs fans into believing strong special teams is more important than a strong even strength game

How can you say that, from watching tv in your basement? I'll say this about Guy, he doesn't seem to even get interviews.

How can you say that, from watching tv in your basement? I'll say this about Guy, he doesn't seem to even get interviews.

Carbo is a hab through and through, I think he got screwed 1st time, so

Bring Carbo Back.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's all good. Start the Therrien countdown clock.

I scrounged together a couple of dollars and sent Dan Bylsma a copy of Rosetta Stone. He'll be ready to go in the fall.

If it was up to me, he would have been fired after the NYR's game. I don't friggin give a crap that where we are in the standings. The crap power play for almost a year now, is reason alone to fire his fat ass.

If it was up to me, he would have been fired after the NYR's game. I don't friggin give a crap that where we are in the standings. The crap power play for almost a year now, is reason alone to fire his fat ass.

lol Me, after the Sens humiliated them in the play offs. Then went out 4 straight themselves.

Carbo was terrible. His teams played with zero structure and the game plan amounted to asking Kovalev whether he felt like going that night. The team completely and spectacularly quit on him in 2009, and Bob has zero choice to slit the throat of the protégé he had brought along for years. There is simply no basis to argue that he is a better coach than Therrien.

Firing Therrien because of a four-game slump is idiotic, but whatever. If we're still struggling five or six weeks from now, we can start that discussion.

In terms of replacements, apart from some obscure francophone in the minors somewhere, my choice would be Marc Crawford. He was never a "control freak" kind of coach and his love of up-tempo hockey would be great for Subban. He has a crazily varied resumé and has seen the highest heights and the lowest lows the game can dish out - perfect preparation for coaching in Montreal. In his last NHL gig, he did a good job with a bad Dallas team and only got canned because a new GM wanted his own guy. He fairly recently won a championship in the European league where he's presently coaching. He's got a Cup ring. He'd be my choice.