Habs sign Jiri Sekac

dlbalr

Bob McKenzie is really high on this guy, and actually wouldn't be shocked to see him scoop up a top 6 role during this season. So I guess we have to be careful how disappointed we are at not signing a big name top 6 forward, when we may have scooped one up without even realizing it.

Low risk signing and yes I also like that Montreal seems to be becoming a preferred destination.

Doing well under New Management.

Capgeek has the contract with only small bonuses - $925,000 base, $425,000 bonuses which would make the max cap hit a very manageable $1.35 million. That would revise my numbers from the CBA thread by a fair amount...

Capgeek has the contract with only small bonuses - $925,000 base, $425,000 bonuses which would make the max cap hit a very manageable $1.35 million. That would revise my numbers from the CBA thread by a fair amount...

thats because i'm pretty sure in order to hit the crazy bonuses, you have to be on a ELC as a 1st rounder, guys like Galchenyuk have a bigger cap hit during their ELC than say a guy like Gallagher because you get different privileges as a 1st round selection i'm fairly certain.

Being signed as an undrafted free agent, i'm sure Sekac isn't in that special category

Intriguing signing.

I could definetely see him make the team.

I'm gonna say top 9 forward (he'll play with Plekanec cause Sekac is good defensively and playing with Pleks would be good for him to break in and learn, but while he'll be second line at ES, he won't be on the PP, so he'll be top 9, not top 6).

Sekac looked really, really good for the Czechs at the Worlds.

Intriguing signing.

I could definetely see him make the team.

I'm gonna say top 9 forward (he'll play with Plekanec cause Sekac is good defensively and playing with Pleks would be good for him to break in and learn, but while he'll be second line at ES, he won't be on the PP, so he'll be top 9, not top 6).

Sekac looked really, really good for the Czechs at the Worlds.

I could also see him playing with Eller to start.

He'll face better players with Plekanec, and there will be a transition to NHL-style play that he'll have to adjust to...

Bourque - Eller - Sekec is a very low-risk line against mediocre competition.

Guest Stogey24

I could also see him playing with Eller to start.

He'll face better players with Plekanec, and there will be a transition to NHL-style play that he'll have to adjust to...

Bourque - Eller - Sekec is a very low-risk line against mediocre competition.

Bourque ain't going to be moved off of RW.

We know nothing about how Sekac will play. He could be great on the second or third line, or he could end up tearing up the AHL in Hamilton after he fizzles in Montreal.

Thing is, this is low-risk. The cost of a failure is miniscule. The potential upside if the scouting reports are right could be a Calder trophy.

I'm getting a feeling this is Bergevin's masterplan. Sign a 22 year old nobody instead of picking up a veteran winger overpriced on the market. Let people scream at him for being reckless. Watch as Sekac puts up 50 points with Plekanec and fits the team like a glove. GM of the Year award.

Between Sekac and Gilbert, Zoot Suit has plainly made a point of seeking "under the radar" bargain signings. Interesting to see a GM who is every bit as stingy in cap management as "cap obsessed" fans on this board are - and it'll be fascinating to watch how it all plays out over time.

thats because i'm pretty sure in order to hit the crazy bonuses, you have to be on a ELC as a 1st rounder, guys like Galchenyuk have a bigger cap hit during their ELC than say a guy like Gallagher because you get different privileges as a 1st round selection i'm fairly certain.

Being signed as an undrafted free agent, i'm sure Sekac isn't in that special category

I can't find anything in the CBA that says that. Tyler Bozak got a max ELC coming out of college ($875k base/$2.85 M bonuses) and he was an undrafted free agent, just like Sekac.

As Commandant noted a few posts above, Sekac played for the Czechs at the Worlds back in May. Although he didn't put up too many points (just two goals in ten games, one was a GWG), he averaged over 13 minutes a game and was on the third line with Jiri Hudler and Martin Zatovic. Not bad for his first go-round.

Abbot:

Call it "the Enigma Line." :tigi:

Abbot: Well, they're giving some of the players some funny names.

Costello: Funny names?

Abbot: Nicknames. Nicknames, here on the Montreal Canadiens second line, Who's on left wing, What-the-f**k is at center, and Where's-He-Been at Right Wing...

Costello: That's what I'm tryin' ta find out. I want you to tell me the names of the guys on the team.

Abbot: I'm telling you. Who's on left wing...

• Upvote 2