The Powerplay

we're not the only team with a tough schedule, and I honestly think we're lucky that we're not 0-4. dustin penner is a hypothetical suggestion..there's obviously several reasons why he's not on an nhl roster. but still, we need a big s.o.b to plop in front of the net on the pp

Yeah-- everybody knows exactly what will happen . The problem is that for PK to score he knows he has to get puck up because today's goalies take the bottom of the zone away. Who is the brave soul that is dumb enough to stand in front of one of PK's shots. It takes a special person. The bruins use Chara when they really need a goal. More presence can also mean BIGGER

Just to look at this another way, unlike that overpaid guy on the Toronto blueline with the nasty shot from the point, PK's is amazingly accurate. He tends to put it where he wants it. That makes it a bit easier to stand by the net.

still 6 teams with no PP goals

Well I would prefer not being one of them.

we're not the only team with a tough schedule, and I honestly think we're lucky that we're not 0-4. dustin penner is a hypothetical suggestion..there's obviously several reasons why he's not on an nhl roster. but still, we need a big s.o.b to plop in front of the net on the pp

Too bad he can't fight cause then I would really want him.

Watch other teams games and they seem to shoot often on the PP.

And possibly is more productive than not shooting; but what do I know.

There will likely be more 4 game stretches with zero PP goals no matter who is coaching.

i once again must stress that you need stability on the point for the PP regardless of net presence or lack of. our points on the PP are always playing erratic and we need stability and to get that markov needs to stick to left side and find the open shooter....

• 2 weeks later...

ok so now we have articles coming out bout the point shot......

http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/habs-special-teams-pathetic-powerlessplay/

now if only he included in his article the 3/4 previous seasons when we actually ran a point with markov feeding a left handed shot to his right we'd be in the top 3 each year before that!

LA had the 27th best PP last season. 6th best in the playoffs.

Chicago had the 19th best PP in 12-13. 13th best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best PP in 11-12. 12th best in the playoffs.

The more important stat to look at?

LA had the 3rd best 5 on 5 Goals For/Against ratio. Best in the playoffs. Montreal was 16th in the regular season, 7th in the playoffs.

Chicago had the best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 12-13. Best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 11-12. Had the best in the playoffs.

Right now is super early but tied for first in 5 on 5 goals is a good start to the season. Keeping that number high and carrying the offence to the playoffs is a better indicator of a good team than a strong powerplay.

Did not realize that. Interesting.

Guest Stogey24

ok so now we have articles coming out bout the point shot......

http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/habs-special-teams-pathetic-powerlessplay/

now if only he included in his article the 3/4 previous seasons when we actually ran a point with markov feeding a left handed shot to his right we'd be in the top 3 each year before that!

It has nothing to do with Subban and Markov being the pairing. Its the fact that Montreal plays an outside game on the power play. Pacioretty basically skates around the entire time trying to pass the puck. Its drives me nuts! His bread and butter is his shot, but Montreal keeps trying to play this cycle game where Pac never gets set. They literally ran the exact same system in both the Edmonton game and the Calgary game. They changed nothing.

DD now 2nd on PP faceoff% behind Bergeron; but Malhotra still #1 PK & overall faceoff% with Bergeron just behind him overall.

Now if he could do something with that puck after the faceoff.

It's time to put Clement Jodoin out to pasture. He's been in charge of the PP for years and it's sucked for years. He's like 9000 years old. The game has passed him by.

Apparently according the announcers he is not in charge of the PP and never has been. This year Boucher Last year and previous Gallant and before that I believe Captain Kirk was. I may have a missed a coach or 2. It is not my forte.

Apparently according the announcers he is not in charge of the PP and never has been. This year Boucher Last year and previous Gallant and before that I believe Captain Kirk was. I may have a missed a coach or 2. It is not my forte.

You are correct!

So the powerplay sucks and he just sits there letting it happen?! Fire him.

"Last year, the powerplay was erratic. This season it is still erratic, and it's still run through the point"---Dlbair(article on main) Absolutely. THN has them ranked 19th last year, successful at around a 17% clip. In all of this the 2 constants has been Pax and DD. Just maybe it is time to change one of them up. You think?

Markov played 30 minutes again last night. To quote Mike Boone "markov wont be able to blow out the candles on his birthday cake if he's expected to keep this up"

Everyone in the league knows Weber on the preds is the key to the pp. The big heavy shot. To score off that point shot it does not have to be a secret. (ie teams are "on to pk") Problem with the pp Is not the point, not markov or subban. Its front of the net presence plain and simple. Habs top two centerman play on the perimeters. Galagher only one going to the net.

like pk once said "if the entire team gave the effort galagher does we would never lose a game"

It has nothing to do with Subban and Markov being the pairing. Its the fact that Montreal plays an outside game on the power play. Pacioretty basically skates around the entire time trying to pass the puck. Its drives me nuts! His bread and butter is his shot, but Montreal keeps trying to play this cycle game where Pac never gets set. They literally ran the exact same system in both the Edmonton game and the Calgary game. They changed nothing.

yup

Guest Stogey24

Look how successful this team has been with a true goal scorer on the top line with Pac. Cole lit it up, same with Vanek(as much as he didn't want to be here). I don't think PAP fits that role. Which is really what M.B was hoping for. I'd love to see another Eric Cole type player who isn't afraid to drive the net brought in. Not really sure what our cap situation is like though

Look how successful this team has been with a true goal scorer on the top line with Pac. Cole lit it up, same with Vanek(as much as he didn't want to be here). I don't think PAP fits that role. Which is really what M.B was hoping for. I'd love to see another Eric Cole type player who isn't afraid to drive the net brought in. Not really sure what our cap situation is like though

Would be nice.

And chucky to center. Its time

"Last year, the powerplay was erratic. This season it is still erratic, and it's still run through the point"---Dlbair(article on main) Absolutely. THN has them ranked 19th last year, successful at around a 17% clip. In all of this the 2 constants has been Pax and DD. Just maybe it is time to change one of them up. You think?

I'd like to see Markov and Subban separated on the PP, which may surprise some. They're spending a lot of time passing back and forth between the two of them to set up the one-timer. Separate them and I think they'd be more decisive. Take the shot or pass to a forward, no passing between the points for 15 seconds. It would also set it up so that there's a good trigger man on each unit (with due respect to Emelin/Gilbert, neither of them are known for their shooting).

Not really sure what our cap situation is like though

That's what my capsheet is for. :)

• Upvote 1