Nov. 4, Hawks vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Ahhh now I understand. :nuts:

dont agree with but hey if you think so

when a team has not come close to winning a cup in 21 years............. some of that two decade period has some kick back from disgruntled fans. you pretending not to understand that? really.

Good thing all Chicago Cub fans arnt

when a team has not come close to winning a cup in 21 years............. some of that two decade period has some kick back from disgruntled fans. you pretending not to understand that? really.

I take it you are not a Chicago Cubs fan, nor can understand why anyone in right mind would bother cheering for them.

All you have to do is look up definitions of 'Fanatic'.

I actually thought we were pretty close last year? You thought not?

Good thing all Chicago Cub fans arnt

I take it you are not a Chicago Cubs fan, nor can understand why anyone in right mind would bother cheering for them.

All you have to do is look up definitions of 'Fanatic'.

"bother not cheering for them"..............................of course you pull for them......................but over the drought some "fanatics" voice their disdain/opinion while calling for heads to roll..................not the entire drought of course , but from time to time ....some sure do

I actually thought we were pretty close last year? You thought not?

no not really. while i loved the seven gamne series win over the bruins. never thought we had a chance to win the cup. bruins we match up well against. even in 011 when the bruins won the cup we went 7 games ot with them. led by scott gomez and brian gionta. no pacs. so bruins is always a toss up. lightning had no goaltending. rangers matched our goaltending, were faster and more physical, and were ready/prepared to play each and every game.

much improvement over the one and done series against the sens...............we were not even in that one. improved yes. close to winning a cup. nah

Guest Stogey24

no not really. while i loved the seven gamne series win over the bruins. never thought we had a chance to win the cup. bruins we match up well against. even in 011 when the bruins won the cup we went 7 games ot with them. led by scott gomez and brian gionta. no pacs. so bruins is always a toss up. lightning had no goaltending. rangers matched our goaltending, were faster and more physical, and were ready/prepared to play each and every game.

much improvement over the one and done series against the sens...............we were not even in that one. improved yes. close to winning a cup. nah

I think you might actually be a leafs fan, but just have admitted it to yourself

I think you might actually be a leafs fan, but just have admitted it to yourself

He ain't a Leafs fan if he doesn't think the team is good enough to win a Cup.

He's just a "realist" which is about the unhappiest kind of fan one could be.

I know "realist" Kings fans who did nothing but bitch and moan and complain last year about their team. They weren't happy until the Kings were up in the Cup finals.

Realists are always negative about their team if it doesn't fit their perfect image of a great team. They never consider that every team has their weaknesses, has their bad nights and that athletes are still human. They think the team should be changed in the blink of an eye. Realists are pretty much the most selfish fans in sports. It's all about, "Why aren't you making this team to my liking?" and if the team does get built that way and fails? It's never that their demands were wrong.

It's just a really unhappy place to be in as a fan. You're never spending the time enjoying the product. You're always comparing it to others.

He ain't a Leafs fan if he doesn't think the team is good enough to win a Cup.

He's just a "realist" which is about the unhappiest kind of fan one could be.

I know "realist" Kings fans who did nothing but bitch and moan and complain last year about their team. They weren't happy until the Kings were up in the Cup finals.

Realists are always negative about their team if it doesn't fit their perfect image of a great team. They never consider that every team has their weaknesses, has their bad nights and that athletes are still human. They think the team should be changed in the blink of an eye. Realists are pretty much the most selfish fans in sports. It's all about, "Why aren't you making this team to my liking?" and if the team does get built that way and fails? It's never that their demands were wrong.

It's just a really unhappy place to be in as a fan. You're never spending the time enjoying the product. You're always comparing it to others.

So you are calling out somebody that doesn't have your particular definition of what a fan is? Rich!

I guess it depends on your interpretation of 'Close". We were a couple of goals away from beating the Rangers, and if we do we are in the cup final. I call that close. Any time you are in the final 4 you are close.

So you are calling out somebody that doesn't have your particular definition of what a fan is? Rich!

Do you like something enough to follow it? You're a fan. That's all it takes to be a fan. There's no such thing as a fake fan to me.

But I'm sure if you ask 30/31 if he's a realist, he'd say so. He probably posted it here as well.

Not once did I say 30/31 isn't a fan of the team. That was actually Stogey. 30/31 is a fan of the Habs as much as all of us, even if he doesn't share the same optimism.

Guest Stogey24

Do you like something enough to follow it? You're a fan. That's all it takes to be a fan. There's no such thing as a fake fan to me.

But I'm sure if you ask 30/31 if he's a realist, he'd say so. He probably posted it here as well.

Not once did I say 30/31 isn't a fan of the team. That was actually Stogey. 30/31 is a fan of the Habs as much as all of us, even if he doesn't share the same optimism.

Come on dog, throw me under the bus ;)

"bother not cheering for them"..............................of course you pull for them......................but over the drought some "fanatics" voice their disdain/opinion while calling for heads to roll..................not the entire drought of course , but from time to time ....some sure do

When record is 10-4-1, made playoffs all 3 years under New Mgmt, overachieved and made final four last year?

How is that an appropriate time to crap on...almost every player, repeatedly? :rastapop:

Maybe simply a very pessimistic, very critical fan (not that there is anything wrong with that)? :nuts:

When record is 10-4-1, made playoffs all 3 years under New Mgmt, overachieved and made final four last year?

How is that an appropriate time to crap on...almost every player, repeatedly? :rastapop:

Maybe simply a very pessimistic, very critical fan (not that there is anything wrong with that)? :nuts:

I wonder what 30/31 was like when Moen-Gomez-Gionta were the first line?

I wonder what 30/31 was like when Moen-Gomez-Gionta were the first line?

Poor Gomer!

I stuck by, pulled for him for the longest time, but he just had lost-'it'.

I imagine 30/31 was same as majority of HabFans and cursing every shift he hit the ice and J.Martin for playing him so much!

Gomez's decline was utterly unpredictable and, really, quite a piece of miserable luck for the organization. He went from being very effective to being useless literally overnight. This sort of thing does happen to players now and then, but I always find it puzzling and kind of sad.

As for his whole "realist vs optimist" business: the thing is, apart from dynastic powerhouses like the 1970s Habs or 1980s Islanders, NO team can ever been considered "likely" to win the Stanley Cup in any given season. Even mighty Chicago has lost the Cup far more often than it has won it in the Toews era. So if that's your standard of evaluation you are basically always going to be skeptical, negative, frowning, and pessimistic until that magical moment when the probabilities shift convincingly in favour of your team winning the Cup, something that really only happens once you've got a big series lead in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Look at the Bruins: a high-end, widely-feared team for several seasons now, one that I'm pretty sure all Habs fans would have traded their entire squad for. Yet they only won one Cup; every other season has ended in failure. Pessimism is thus the "realistic" response to that squad. "Realist" fans would have been frowning upon them every moment UNTIL Game 7 of the 2011 Finals. And then the frowning would have re-commenced, justifiably, the following day; and rightly so, since they didn't repeat.

This doesn't seem a recipe for enjoying fandom.

I follow the Habs through thick and thin. As a fan, I'm grouchy when they suck and happy if the Habs have a good, strong, competitive team that has at least an outside chance of doing serious damage in the playoffs. I think this describes our team at present. It is certainly legitimate to debate whether they are better than that - i.e., really serious contenders. But emitting a cloud of negativity, caricaturing them as a "bubble team," ripping into them relentless because they aren't likely to win a Cup? Non merci.

• Upvote 1

OK I have to defend Habs30/31. He ain't boring and he generates a lot of discussion, which is great. He may be negative but his posts are coherent and thought out. More than I can say for me sometimes.

OK I have to defend Habs30/31. He ain't boring and he generates a lot of discussion, which is great. He may be negative but his posts are coherent and thought out. More than I can say for me sometimes.

I think Habs 30/31 sometimes becomes trapped by his own polemic, that's all. It's one thing to take the very reasonable stand that these Habs are not bona-fide, top-rank contenders. It's another to argue that they stink. The drive to hammer home the first point can all too easily lead one into making the second, fairly ridiculous, position. That's what tends to happen in his posts, it seems to me. But hey, we're all brothers* here, even the black sheep ;)

* Are there any ladies who post here regularly? Just curious. Most of us seem to be guys.

I don't see an issue with his negativity. His obsession with Plekanec was ruining him as a poster here and he has calmed down on that. I think a few people are far too reactionary to him saying he wasn't happy with the teams play. He wasn't wrong. The team wasn't playing well despite winning and that led to the team eventually losing in spectacularly bad ways.

A better example for Cucumber is the San Jose Sharks. For close to 10 years now they've had a team that has been big, skilled, deep and experienced. They have everything a team would need to be considered a Stanley Cup contender and every year they fall short. They were one game away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup champions and they failed to win that game four straight times.

When it comes to the Habs, especially last season, I repeated over and over that I thought the team would make the top four. That they'd win two rounds and that would be invaluable experience. I wasn't confident on them doing more than that, especially after game one against the Rangers. It still surprises me we made it to game six. I think this team should make it to the Eastern Conference finals again, especially due to a weaker conference, but this time we could make it to the Cup finals. Can we be better than the West? Depends on who we play in the West and how we play on the way there.

Our early season play has been disappointing but the game against Minnesota should have been perspective for people. Minnesota is jam packed with offensive weapons, strong defence and good goaltending, just like us. They also are dealing with similar issues.

I think Habs 30/31 sometimes becomes trapped by his own polemic, that's all. It's one thing to take the very reasonable stand that these Habs are not bona-fide, top-rank contenders. It's another to argue that they stink. The drive to hammer home the first point can all too easily lead one into making the second, fairly ridiculous, position. That's what tends to happen in his posts, it seems to me. But hey, we're all brothers* here, even the black sheep ;)

* Are there any ladies who post here regularly? Just curious. Most of us seem to be guys.

Why? you looking for a date? :)

Hey! Maybe that's Habs 30/31's problem, he's a chick!

Sorry dude, just joking, and I'm not saying you have a problem, that guy under the bus said it!

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: