Borkless at the Bell Centre. Jets vs. Habs 7:30PM EST (RDS, SNE, TSN3)

The Winnipeg Jets have been... good in goal?

That's the crazy thing about the start of the regular season. Crazy things happen. Like Pavelec posting a better save percentage than Carey Price and the Jets proving they don't need Budaj backing them up... so far.

Future Habs Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler have 10 points each and Bogosian no longer looks like that young D you can throw in a deal and hope the Jets will bite. They look good... so far.

As for Montreal, we're celebrating the departure of Rene Bourque with dancing, cakes and conspiracies that Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin had a Moneyball confrontation about a crap player like Bourque. Because as we all know, Therrien can do no right and Bergevin can do no wrong (unless we draft someone you don't like. Then it's Timmins can do no wrong and Bergevin can do no right. Why is everything absolutes on the Internet!?)

Habs lines during practice yesterday

Galchenyuk -Plekanec - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Sekac - Eller - Prust
Bowman? - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Weaver

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Gonchar?

Price

Tokarski

Atlanta Thrashers lines

Ladd - Little - Frolik

Kane - Scheiffle - Wheeler

Perreault - Lowry - Byfuglien

Galiardi - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Bogosian

Stuart - Trouba

Clitsome - Postma

Pavelec

Hutchinson

Fun Stuff:

- Winnipeg legend Dale Hawerchuk was originally the guy Montreal was going to trade Chris Chelios for. Instead the Canadiens trading Chelios (WITH A SECOND ROUND PICK) for Denis Savard while the Jets did a blockbuster deal with the Sabres.

- Gallagher doesn't like the Jets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46dTonXnSw

- With the Jets doing well, all of the "Trade the best Jets for Habs garbage" trade proposals are gonna die out... until the trade deadline of course.

- Pavelec is a great example of a terrible goalie (the worst in the NHL) on a hot streak. I'm sure Bob Essensa did this a time or two.

Didn't know that about Hawerchuk. That obviously would have been a better trade than the Savard debacle, although still a bad deal in the long run.

In fairness to Serge Savard, Denis Savard had been massively productive in Chicago immediately prior to the trade here (80 points in 60 games - prorates to a 109-point season), and had been comparably productive for years prior. Now, in retrospect we can see that Steve Larmer might have been absolutely crucial to a fair bit of Savard's success - after all, Larmer went on to a 44-goal, 101-point season after Savard left, while Savard's production immediately plummeted. Conversely, Savard may have simply hit his "best before" date in the summer when the Habs acquired him. Which amounts to fairly terrible luck.

I've never been sure that it's fair to evaluate trades based on information that the GMs could not possibly have possessed at the time. All the evidence suggested Serge Savard was trading Chelios for a spectacular, 100-point centreman. Could he really have been expected to know that Savard was exactly at the point where he would plummet downward into a 59-point C? (A similar problem affects the condemnation of the Gomez deal: once MacDonagh became a top-2 defender, that would be a bad deal no matter how you slice it, BUT we should remember that Gainey was acquiring a 60-point C and one of the league's top puck-rushers and playmakers. There was simply no basis for predicting Gomer's precipitous decline into a marginal player within two years).

Didn't know that about Hawerchuk. That obviously would have been a better trade than the Savard debacle, although still a bad deal in the long run.

In fairness to Serge Savard, Denis Savard had been massively productive in Chicago immediately prior to the trade here (80 points in 60 games - prorates to a 109-point season), and had been comparably productive for years prior. Now, in retrospect we can see that Steve Larmer might have been absolutely crucial to a fair bit of Savard's success - after all, Larmer went on to a 44-goal, 101-point season after Savard left, while Savard's production immediately plummeted. Conversely, Savard may have simply hit his "best before" date in the summer when the Habs acquired him. Which amounts to fairly terrible luck.

I've never been sure that it's fair to evaluate trades based on information that the GMs could not possibly have possessed at the time. All the evidence suggested Serge Savard was trading Chelios for a spectacular, 100-point centreman. Could he really have been expected to know that Savard was exactly at the point where he would plummet downward into a 59-point C? (A similar problem affects the condemnation of the Gomez deal: once MacDonagh became a top-2 defender, that would be a bad deal no matter how you slice it, BUT we should remember that Gainey was acquiring a 60-point C and one of the league's top puck-rushers and playmakers. There was simply no basis for predicting Gomer's precipitous decline into a marginal player within two years).

agreed. and in even more fairness to serge savard....... upon being let go serge said he will "I take full ownership of all my trades except the chelios deal. i was ordered to make that deal by his superiors". (corey)

The Winnipeg Jets have been... good in goal?

That's the crazy thing about the start of the regular season. Crazy things happen. Like Pavelec posting a better save percentage than Carey Price and the Jets proving they don't need Budaj backing them up... so far.

Future Habs Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler have 10 points each and Bogosian no longer looks like that young D you can throw in a deal and hope the Jets will bite. They look good... so far.

As for Montreal, we're celebrating the departure of Rene Bourque with dancing, cakes and conspiracies that Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin had a Moneyball confrontation about a crap player like Bourque. Because as we all know, Therrien can do no right and Bergevin can do no wrong (unless we draft someone you don't like. Then it's Timmins can do no wrong and Bergevin can do no right. Why is everything absolutes on the Internet!?)

Habs lines during practice yesterday

Galchenyuk -Plekanec - Gallagher

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Sekac - Eller - Prust

Bowman? - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Weaver

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Gonchar?

Price

Tokarski

Atlanta Thrashers lines

Ladd - Little - Frolik

Kane - Scheiffle - Wheeler

Perreault - Lowry - Byfuglien

Galiardi - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Bogosian

Stuart - Trouba

Clitsome - Postma

Pavelec

Hutchinson

Fun Stuff:

- Winnipeg legend Dale Hawerchuk was originally the guy Montreal was going to trade Chris Chelios for. Instead the Canadiens trading Chelios (WITH A SECOND ROUND PICK) for Denis Savard while the Jets did a blockbuster deal with the Sabres.

- Gallagher doesn't like the Jets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46dTonXnSw

- With the Jets doing well, all of the "Trade the best Jets for Habs garbage" trade proposals are gonna die out... until the trade deadline of course.

- Pavelec is a great example of a terrible goalie (the worst in the NHL) on a hot streak. I'm sure Bob Essensa did this a time or two.

did not know about the hawerchuck almost a hab either. thanks for the intell

Would be a reeeeeally good time for Beaulieu to score his first as a Habs.

given that Sekac was benched after scoring, i really don't think it would matter.

• Upvote 1

Random note for those with Centre Ice in Canada - it's a rare game where both the Montreal and the opposition feeds are available. The only other time this will likely happen this season is when they play Ottawa on a day where it's not nationally televised.

Goddamn ######ing Rogers. If they didn't invent bad service, they perfected it.

No luck for Habbies in Alberta. I can't watch two Canadian teams play but if I want to watch the Rangers and Pens - no problem.

yep, only option is listen to TSN radio or shell out $200 for centre ice.

Goddamn ######ing Rogers. If they didn't invent bad service, they perfected it.

No luck for Habbies in Alberta. I can't watch two Canadian teams play but if I want to watch the Rangers and Pens - no problem.

they are on NHL on the fly right now