Tokarski traded for Max Friberg

DON

Small potatoes- Friberg shoots right but has been playing left wing-- we are kind of short on the right side throughout the organization-- Lastwordonsports had him listed as LW/RW---seems to have good numbers- don't know if he is better on one side or the other--clearly a depth signing at this point

There's a saying that goes "Sometimes the best trade is the trade you didn't make."

Pretty sure Bergevin has that stencilled onto his bedroom wall in pretty writing. But you know what? He's patient, and isn't prone to making boneheaded moves. He acquired vanek before, so we know he's capable.

I don't think we need to panic just yet. Take heart knowing that Bergy probably just didn't want to give up mccarron, scherbak, 2016-2033 first round picks, Galchenyuk and Beaulieu for Johansen. He WILL change the team for the better.

Right?

There's a saying that goes "Sometimes the best trade is the trade you didn't make."

Pretty sure Bergevin has that stencilled onto his bedroom wall in pretty writing. But you know what? He's patient, and isn't prone to making boneheaded moves. He acquired vanek before, so we know he's capable.

I don't think we need to panic just yet. Take heart knowing that Bergy probably just didn't want to give up mccarron, scherbak, 2016-2033 first round picks, Galchenyuk and Beaulieu for Johansen. He WILL change the team for the better.

Right?

I wonder if all of MB's perceived good trades he has made works against him making a big move. 29 other GM's don't want to be the guy getting fleeced. It's hard to be a GM in Montreal, so much media and analysis. It almost seems like most trades pre-Bergevin didn't quite work out, meanwhile every trade with him has at least some sort of value attached to it.

Right?

Sometimes you have to take a risk. Nashville has needed a #1 center for 18 years, and after going to the bargain bin many times traded away Seth Jones. If scoring is decided to be bad enough, they may have to part with significant assets to either "get the right mixture" or trade a deficiency for another.

I've thought for a number of years that the Habs could gamble on Price with a weaker defense, that's why I didn't want Petry to be signed.

I've thought for a number of years that the Habs could gamble on Price with a weaker defense, that's why I didn't want Petry to be signed.

I agree on the gambling on Price philosophy. If the team was top heavy at the forward position rather than the defensive, the theory is that Price can bail them out when they are taking offensive risks. That being said, it was nice to be able to solidify a top 4 RD by signing Petry. I guess we are all waiting for a Jeff Carter/Mike Richards-like acquisition to a team that is ready to take the leap, much like how the Kings were when they made those moves.

are deals happening around the league? Sure.

1) Did anyone want Vinny Lecavalier and Luke Schenn, cause I bet we could have got those guys? Oh wait, they kinda suck at hockey in 2016... yeah thats an issue.

2) Did anyone want Ryan Johansen? Oh yeah, me too. Did we have seth jones or equivalent? Well Beaulieu isn't an equivalent to Seth Jones, and I wouldn't give up PK Subban for Johansen so no we were kinda out of the running there.

So what move are you upset Bergevin hasn't made, again?

I wonder if all of MB's perceived good trades he has made works against him making a big move. 29 other GM's don't want to be the guy getting fleeced. It's hard to be a GM in Montreal, so much media and analysis. It almost seems like most trades pre-Bergevin didn't quite work out, meanwhile every trade with him has at least some sort of value attached to it.

I could see that holding some truth.

And also commandant I don't know who you were addressing, but I'm personally not upset that he hasn't made a trade yet. That was the gist of my post really. Like you said, there wasn't a clear trade we could have made similar to Jones

I could see that holding some truth.

And also commandant I don't know who you were addressing, but I'm personally not upset that he hasn't made a trade yet. That was the gist of my post really. Like you said, there wasn't a clear trade we could have made similar to Jones

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular, more rhetorical questions to the complaints about why we haven't made a big trade.

Small potatoes- Friberg shoots right but has been playing left wing-- we are kind of short on the right side throughout the organization-- Lastwordonsports had him listed as LW/RW---seems to have good numbers- don't know if he is better on one side or the other--clearly a depth signing at this point

Played more at LW from what I've seen, but I've also seen him at RW at times.

Could be like Carr/Ghetto/Byron/Flynn/Weise all guys we have used on both wings at varying times.

Right?

There is no panic BUT he became GM May 2, 2012, We are coming onto 4 years and this team don't look good right now. Is this a 5 year plan or 10. I loved the Vanek move even though Le Genius managed to fork that up, imho. But that was a short term rental. Did not mean much to the club moving forward. Petry is a good signing, but he like some others seems to have a hard time staying out of Le Genius's doghouse. I don't think Johansen was a fit for us. Probably Drouin isn't either under the system (if there is one) that is being employed by the current coaching staff. I do not believe that Le Genius can take us to the cup and that his "system" is hampering Markdown Marc in his attempts to improve the club.

When the system is "save our ass Carey", it doesn't work well when he is out of the lineup.

There is no panic BUT he became GM May 2, 2012, We are coming onto 4 years and this team don't look good right now. Is this a 5 year plan or 10. I loved the Vanek move even though Le Genius managed to fork that up, imho. But that was a short term rental. Did not mean much to the club moving forward. Petry is a good signing, but he like some others seems to have a hard time staying out of Le Genius's doghouse. I don't think Johansen was a fit for us. Probably Drouin isn't either under the system (if there is one) that is being employed by the current coaching staff. I do not believe that Le Genius can take us to the cup and that his "system" is hampering Markdown Marc in his attempts to improve the club.

Bergy basically traded Kassian for Friberg. Scrivens=Tokaski that's a wash in the depth. Thus essentially Prust for Friberg & a 5th. Imo completely redeeming himself in the scheme of things while ridding himself of the blemish that was Zack Kassian.

And people dislike this?

Him dealing with the the goaltending balance is not the same as him not trading for scoring. They are unrelated.

Asset management at its finest, folks.

I found Tokarski had an abrasive, snarky, kind of a richard personality/attitude/sense of humor. Kassian & Semin out, too. I see a trend.

And people dislike this?

The only reason most are unhappy is we have not made THE BIG DEAL to fix our top six scoring woes.

If Bergevin is sitting on potential deals and not pulling the trigger because he thinks he can squeeze out a fifth round pick, he should be slapped upside the head. If the deal just isn't there, and teams are demanding Galchenyuk/Gallagher in returns, then I'm fine with him sitting.

are deals happening around the league? Sure.

1) Did anyone want Vinny Lecavalier and Luke Schenn, cause I bet we could have got those guys? Oh wait, they kinda suck at hockey in 2016... yeah thats an issue.

2) Did anyone want Ryan Johansen? Oh yeah, me too. Did we have seth jones or equivalent? Well Beaulieu isn't an equivalent to Seth Jones, and I wouldn't give up PK Subban for Johansen so no we were kinda out of the running there.

So what move are you upset Bergevin hasn't made, again?

I think after four years of needing a RW, it's safe to question why is hasn't happened. Imagine if we needed a serious piece like a goalie/number one defenseman?

I agree. I'm sick of hearing about the Vanek deal. The Vanek deal worked for about twenty regular season games and they were calling his Thomas Vanish by the end of the Rangers series. That's not much to hang your hat on as a long term GM.

Petry? There's still plenty of road to run before it's determined if the trade/signing was a good one. The scoring dried up last year, that's why the Habs were eliminated.

We have several FWs playing well below their career averages - i.e., going through very aberrant stretches of play - and our #1 defenceman, with one of the most feared point shots in hockey, has one goal.

We do need a RW. But if key guys are not delivering the level of offence that their career norms show them to be capable of, then the team is not going to score goals, period.

This is less a problem of 'talent' and manpower and more a problem of too many guys under-performing.

We have several FWs playing well below their career averages - i.e., going through very aberrant stretches of play - and our #1 defenceman, with one of the most feared point shots in hockey, has one goal.

We do need a RW. But if key guys are not delivering the level of offence that their career norms show them to be capable of, then the team is not going to score goals, period.

This is less a problem of 'talent' and manpower and more a problem of too many guys under-performing.

The past month has suggested we don't need an RW but a LW.

Pacioretty is our only consistent LW scorer. Fleischmann was hot then cooled down. Eller has a few goals and nothing else to show for it. Guys like Byron, Flynn and Andrighetto are next on the depth chart.

Meanwhile, Gallagher is our best RW. Weise put up Top 60 Right Winger numbers last season and was scoring well enough to be a top nine RW this year. Smith-Pelly, Kassian and Semin have been tried as RWs but we got Mitchell and Flynn to fill the RW if need be on the bottom line. Daniel Carr has stepped in as one of our best goal producers in the past 15 games.

We actually need a top six left winger. Galchenyuk and Carr have been good. Unless we're moving Carr to the left position, it's a left winger we need in the top six behind Pacioretty, much like what Galchenyuk was last season.

The past month has suggested we don't need an RW but a LW.

Pacioretty is our only consistent LW scorer. Fleischmann was hot then cooled down. Eller has a few goals and nothing else to show for it. Guys like Byron, Flynn and Andrighetto are next on the depth chart.

Meanwhile, Gallagher is our best RW. Weise put up Top 60 Right Winger numbers last season and was scoring well enough to be a top nine RW this year. Smith-Pelly, Kassian and Semin have been tried as RWs but we got Mitchell and Flynn to fill the RW if need be on the bottom line. Daniel Carr has stepped in as one of our best goal producers in the past 15 games.

We actually need a top six left winger. Galchenyuk and Carr have been good. Unless we're moving Carr to the left position, it's a left winger we need in the top six behind Pacioretty, much like what Galchenyuk was last season.

Good point.

I have no problem of him unloading the trash. I do have a problem of him not upgrading the top 6 with a real solution since got here.

Jagr should have been signed. Not that but Briere.

Bergy basically traded Kassian for Friberg. Scrivens=Tokaski that's a wash in the depth. Thus essentially Prust for Friberg & a 5th. Imo completely redeeming himself in the scheme of things while ridding himself of the blemish that was Zack Kassian.

And people dislike this?

Him dealing with the the goaltending balance is not the same as him not trading for scoring. They are unrelated.

Asset management at its finest, folks.

I found Tokarski had an abrasive, snarky, kind of a richard personality/attitude/sense of humor. Kassian & Semin out, too. I see a trend.

I like the Petry signing because he gives us a good trading chip. I think Petry can be a key piece to get us a top 6 forward. I just don't think MB will use the best chip he has.

I agree. I'm sick of hearing about the Vanek deal. The Vanek deal worked for about twenty regular season games and they were calling his Thomas Vanish by the end of the Rangers series. That's not much to hang your hat on as a long term GM.

Petry? There's still plenty of road to run before it's determined if the trade/signing was a good one. The scoring dried up last year, that's why the Habs were eliminated.

Our defence has sucked. I think the loss of Price has proven that our defence I not as good as most thought.

I also think it easier picking up a Petry type dman than a scoring forward and t difference between Petry and a Gilbert (who I despise is not all that much).

I'd move Petry for scoring and move pateryn up for now. I'd also hope that someone will take emelin to clear cap room. Tinordi can't be much worse than emelin.

Trade Petry and our defence becomes:

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Emelin/Barberio/Tinordi - Pateryn

Yeah, no thanks, that's not the answer.

Our defence has sucked. I think the loss of Price has proven that our defence I not as good as most thought.

I also think it easier picking up a Petry type dman than a scoring forward and t difference between Petry and a Gilbert (who I despise is not all that much).

I'd move Petry for scoring and move pateryn up for now. I'd also hope that someone will take emelin to clear cap room. Tinordi can't be much worse than emelin.

Except... the numbers don't show that.

Montreal has allowed 528 shots since Price went down on November 25th. That's the seventh lowest in the league, Our goals against was 9th highest with 54 goals allowed.

So we're allowing the Top 10 least amount of shots but a rookie goaltender, a tossed away back-up and a newly traded for back-up have allowed the Top 10 most goals.

Maybe your standards on what an NHL defence should be doing is higher than it should be? The Rangers and Predators both allowed more goals than us in the same period, with the Predators allowing the same amount of shots (the Rangers allowed nine more shots).