Daniel Briere traded for P.A Parenteau

Trizzak

great trade by Zuit suit. Briere was too small. I know that Parenteau isn't the toughest guy out there, but he's only 31 and costs the same. Also, he seemed to be in Patrick Roy's dog house. Maybe with a little extra PP time in Montreal, he can go back to being the 55-60 point guy he was??

Best description of Parenteau I've heard "Poor Man's Vanek"

I'd call him a poor man's Hudler.

Considering I don't want the actual Vanek on my team, why would I want a poor-man's version of him?

well, you are really going to hate a lower scoring, lazier version of Vanek than. I think Briere is an upgrade on a 36 year old Briere and a better trading chip than Briere, but i don't think he is even a poor man's Vanek. I'm hoping that MB does the same thing that Yzerman did with Gagner, pick him up and move him - hell, i'd much rather have traded Briere for Gagner, and put Gagner on the wing.

lazier version of Vanek

How is that even possible? Toking from the penalty box?

I can't believe how a guy with so much talent put so little effort into a playoff run that came within 2 wins of getting to a stanley cup final.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Danny was making things happen in Montreal's favor every single time he was on the ice! He was ferociously forechecking AND backchecking, and the line of Weise/Briere/{whoeverwashealthyatthetime} was Montreal's second best line. We wouldn't have beaten Boston without him. It boggles my mind how little ice time he was given considering how effective he was at both ends of the ice every time he DID get a shift.

Sure he (along with the rest of the team) disappeared against the Rangers. But we don't get to the conference final without this guy in the lineup this year.

He's past his prime. I get that, I am not sad to see him go. I just see far more playoff production from Briere than I do from Parenteau.

Dude, I wouldn't go that far. I understand you love the guy, but he didn't have that big of an impact. Hence the reason he's hitting the road.

One trade owlish we had tried to make with the Avs - pleks, gorges, Briere, for a package that includes o'reilley.

It can still be possible, make it happen MB!!

I like the deal. A problem for a problem. Both players are likely to do better next season.

True - and i can't see how Partenteau can possibly do worse than briere did. If he is worse he shouldn't be in the league.

True - and i can't see how Partenteau can possibly do worse than briere did. If he is worse he shouldn't be in the league.

At the end of the day, Briere didn't give us the playoff boost we were looking for, and as a center would be eaten alive by the goon squad 4th lines that play early in the year.

Did someone say Jokinen in this thread? I beg of the universe NOOOO! You think you want him how, then he plays for you, then you have a chronic dent in your forehead.

I'm thrilled about this deal, no idea how we pulled it off, or how we even got the extra pick, but words like fleeced, robbed, grand larceny come to mind. Now don't get me wrong, Parenteau still has some work to do to shake off this reputation of being a floater, and to deal with the francophone side of the pressure. But with that said, I truly believe this guy is a 45 - 55 point getter, and really was hit by an off year he never recovered from, BUT far from finished. Briere on the other hand was done, with his current role, he was nothing more than a 30 point guy at best who could fill in top 6 when there were injuries. Parenteau's most unproductive season ever as an established NHLer was still more productive.

I hear people calling him a poor man's Vanek, but if you really sit back for a moment and think about it, were we really going to get a Vanek for Briere? Is he the answer for our top 6? Probably not, we are probably setting him up to replace Gionta on a line with Eller and Bourque, be a bigger body up front and get some PP time. The top 6 solution is still to come in my opinion, so our "Vanek replacement" has yet to be announced if you ask me. But based on what i'm hearing in the hockey world, and seeing from MB, my guess is he will be an established top 6 somewhere else, and will be a bigger body.

this deal is just icing on the cake at the end of the day, more depth, bigger body in the line up, and a higher production ceiling.

• Upvote 1

Listen, I love the trade and wanted Parenteau a while ago, but people need to stop saying "bigger body in the lineup" when talking about Parenteau. He doesn't use his body. He's good at moving the puck but that doesn't mean he's hard to knock the puck off. This is like replacing Brian Bellows with Pierre Turgeon and then talking about the size advantage.

Listen, I love the trade and wanted Parenteau a while ago, but people need to stop saying "bigger body in the lineup" when talking about Parenteau. He doesn't use his body. He's good at moving the puck but that doesn't mean he's hard to knock the puck off. This is like replacing Brian Bellows with Pierre Turgeon and then talking about the size advantage.

Bigger Body doesn't mean Tougher Player, contrary to popular belief. A small forward may not use his size to throw his weight around during a game, and a Big forward may also play a more finesse style and not throw his Body around. But when the playoffs start, and you got these big teams like Boston and 75% of the west teams throwing their weight around, who is most likely to maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone, the small forward or the big one regardless of style?

See how the bigger forward makes a difference, even if he doesn't play rough and tough hockey?

Gallagher with his tiny size is more tenacious and harder to get off the puck than Vanek with his 6' 215lb frame.

Size can help, but not all bigger players benefit from it. Size is distantly behind skill, speed, and work ethic/attitude (which is what Vanek lacks) when it comes to coming up with the puck and keeping it.

I hope Parenteau is not a "poor man's vanek." I hope the fact that he's buddies with a bunch of hard workers currently on this team motivates him to play hard every night.

I don't doubt that Parenteau has his limitations. He's always been tagged a somewhat "frustrating" player, prone to floating.

That said, this team really, really needed top-6 RW talent and he provides it. I agree that we'd all like a team of Gallagher types, but as long as Parenteau doesn't somehow shift the balance of what is currently a stellar team culture, I think we should happily take his 50+ points and not dwell too obsessively over his limitations. We should also keep in mind that he has a moderate contract and was acquired basically for free.

He's only been in one NHL playoff, so there simply is insufficient data to know how he will react in that environment.

I get that he doesn't use his size, but just having a decently-sized body at RW will help to quell the usual chatter about "Smurfs." That alone is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I don't doubt that Parenteau has his limitations. He's always been tagged a somewhat "frustrating" player, prone to floating.

That said, this team really, really needed top-6 RW talent and he provides it. I agree that we'd all like a team of Gallagher types, but as long as Parenteau doesn't somehow shift the balance of what is currently a stellar team culture, I think we should happily take his 50+ points and not dwell too obsessively over his limitations. We should also keep in mind that he has a moderate contract and was acquired basically for free.

He's only been in one NHL playoff, so there simply is insufficient data to know how he will react in that environment.

I get that he doesn't use his size, but just having a decently-sized body at RW will help to quell the usual chatter about "Smurfs." That alone is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

my point exactly, regardless if he plays Lucic hockey or not, a bigger body is harder to out muscle than a smaller one, its just physics. It is also a step towards changing the mind set that this team is full of small players and is easily thrown around when it matters in the playoffs, a stigma strapped to our ankle like a tether for years.

That said, this team really, really needed top-6 RW talent and he provides it.

Oh how the league has fallen. Can I put more water in your paint, sir? Would you like me to water your beer?

Great trade. I thought it would be impossible to get rid of Briere and he'd be kicking around on our fourth line for $4 million. Parenteau definitely fills a team need, but there's a decent chance that we'll be looking to dump him next summer while Briere would have been off the books.

Overall, though, it's great to get rid of a lousy fit deadweight that looked bad from the moment he was rumoured to sign with us. If Parenteau hits 45 points we'll be laughing. I don't see him as a guaranteed top-sixer, more of a top-9 guy who could suit up next to any of our centres.

great trade by Zuit suit. Briere was too small. I know that Parenteau isn't the toughest guy out there, but he's only 31 and costs the same. Also, he seemed to be in Patrick Roy's dog house. Maybe with a little extra PP time in Montreal, he can go back to being the 55-60 point guy he was??

Yep that is what I would say. if this is the proverbial bag of pucks and jock straps I will take it.

I'm thrilled about this deal, no idea how we pulled it off, or how we even got the extra pick, but words like fleeced, robbed, grand larceny come to mind. Now don't get me wrong, Parenteau still has some work to do to shake off this reputation of being a floater, and to deal with the francophone side of the pressure. But with that said, I truly believe this guy is a 45 - 55 point getter, and really was hit by an off year he never recovered from, BUT far from finished. Briere on the other hand was done, with his current role, he was nothing more than a 30 point guy at best who could fill in top 6 when there were injuries. Parenteau's most unproductive season ever as an established NHLer was still more productive.

I hear people calling him a poor man's Vanek, but if you really sit back for a moment and think about it, were we really going to get a Vanek for Briere? Is he the answer for our top 6? Probably not, we are probably setting him up to replace Gionta on a line with Eller and Bourque, be a bigger body up front and get some PP time. The top 6 solution is still to come in my opinion, so our "Vanek replacement" has yet to be announced if you ask me. But based on what i'm hearing in the hockey world, and seeing from MB, my guess is he will be an established top 6 somewhere else, and will be a bigger body.

this deal is just icing on the cake at the end of the day, more depth, bigger body in the line up, and a higher production ceiling.

Yep^

I'm still looking for that true top 6 RW today!

Great Third Line RW... I still think MB does something big..

I'm really hoping that playing in front of the Montreal crowd as well as PA's friendship with Wiese and Prust will motivate him to play like they do.. I'm being realistic when I say 50-60 points is doable