2013 World Juniors Thread

dlbalr

I havent seen Canada's game yet, but saw highlights of 2 big hits; Lipon should be suspended for sure and the other was at least a charging penalty and when you steamroll anyone these days, you are asking for trouble, even if a "clean" hit.

It wasn't a "clean" hit, it was a clean hit. It was shoulder to chest, which is clean. Camara wasn't skating, which is clean. Camara had stopped skating for a period of time before the hit and was coasting, which is clean. If the Slovak defenseman had his head up, he would of saw the hit coming, would have braced himself for the hit and would of turned, got hit and got up a little shaken. Instead, he had his head down, got rocked, and got carried away on a stretcher. Before the penalty was handed out, one referee told Camara that the hit was clean. The penalty was only handed out because the Slovakian defenseman didn't get up. Proof of that was there was no call made on the initial hit and the benches weren't notified about the penalty until after the player was carried off the ice. Seems like the officials will call any play causing injury a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

It wasn't a "clean" hit, it was a clean hit. It was shoulder to chest, which is clean. Camara wasn't skating, which is clean. Camara had stopped skating for a period of time before the hit and was coasting, which is clean. If the Slovak defenseman had his head up, he would of saw the hit coming, would have braced himself for the hit and would of turned, got hit and got up a little shaken. Instead, he had his head down, got rocked, and got carried away on a stretcher. Before the penalty was handed out, one referee told Camara that the hit was clean. The penalty was only handed out because the Slovakian defenseman didn't get up. Proof of that was there was no call made on the initial hit and the benches weren't notified about the penalty until after the player was carried off the ice. Seems like the officials will call any play causing injury a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

True. But Don was talking about Lipon's hit... ;)

I havent seen Canada's game yet, but saw highlights of 2 big hits; Lipon should be suspended for sure and the other was at least a charging penalty and when you steamroll anyone these days, you are asking for trouble, even if a "clean" hit.

True. But Don was talking about Lipon's hit... ;)

I believe he was talking about Camara's hit.

Galchenyuk can't hit the broad side of a barn today.

Yeh, he was definitely off, but I still thought he was the most dangerous American out there for most of the game. I can't help but feel that the US would benefit from him having more icetime and better linemates.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Ryan Murphy if thats his name.. was a mistake on the team? Too weak defensively and constant give aways.

He's awful in his own end, I think Canada went with too many offensive D, and this will hurt them in the long run,

Galchenyuk had another good day as the US beat Slovakia 9-3 to earn a quarterfinal berth. He had a goal and an assist, giving him 7 points through 4 games - good enough to be tied for 2nd in tournament points. His ice time again was low, believed to be in the 13-14 minute range. He will play the Czechs on Wednesday.

Collberg and Team Sweden beat Finland 7-4 to give the Swedes a bye into the semis. Collberg had an assist to give him 3 goals and 2 assists through the round-robin - all points were scored on the PP as well. He currently sits 8th (point wise tied for 6th but with tie breakers he's 8th) in WJC scoring.

I believe he was talking about Camara's hit.

I meant even if Camara's hit was clean, he knew he was gonna catch him with head down and lay him out before he hit him, a typical Kromwall hit and all i am saying is that these days, if a defenseless player (whether his own fault or not) gets run over and injury occurs, you risk getting tossed/suspended.

NFL is having similar difficulty trying to curb concussions and trying to figure out what is or isnt a "defenseless reciever".

And most blindside hits or cheap shots, that were 100% fine before, just arnt any longer and that is somewhat OK by me.

Galchenyuk had another good day as the US beat Slovakia 9-3 to earn a quarterfinal berth. He had a goal and an assist, giving him 7 points through 4 games - good enough to be tied for 2nd in tournament points. His ice time again was low, believed to be in the 13-14 minute range. He will play the Czechs on Wednesday.

Collberg and Team Sweden beat Finland 7-4 to give the Swedes a bye into the semis. Collberg had an assist to give him 3 goals and 2 assists through the round-robin - all points were scored on the PP as well. He currently sits 8th (point wise tied for 6th but with tie breakers he's 8th) in WJC scoring.

too bad havent televised any Swedish games.

i know AG has been productive, points wise and is not getting the ice time he is used to, but almost seems he is a bit less effective every game as the tourny goes on? I think is just unrealistic expectations on my part maybe?

But he is turning puck over and trying so many low % passes instead of taking puck to net or simply shooting more? Maybe Housley's "team first" logo and benching that kid for being selfish is part of reason?

I know almost 2 PPG is friggin super, but i still find it hard to ever pull for Team USA to win anything. I simply cant get that irritating Ryder Cup "USA..USA..USA!" chant out of my head.

I think part of it is his linemates. It's rare when this is the case but Galchenyuk I think had better linemates with Sarnia than he does with USA. I'd say Kuraly/Barber are 3rd line quality, Galchenyuk is supposed to turn that into a second line. I sense he thinks he needs to carry that line himself (to be fair, he does for the most part) so he's trying too much to shoulder the load, leading to turnovers or poor decisions. This is also his first go at a tournament of this nature, not only were there probably some nerves but there is an adjustment period.

I'm not saying this means he should be absolved of any critiques but as an 18 year old (in what most call a 19 year old tourney), he has done well.

I think part of it is his linemates. It's rare when this is the case but Galchenyuk I think had better linemates with Sarnia than he does with USA. I'd say Kuraly/Barber are 3rd line quality, Galchenyuk is supposed to turn that into a second line. I sense he thinks he needs to carry that line himself (to be fair, he does for the most part) so he's trying too much to shoulder the load, leading to turnovers or poor decisions. This is also his first go at a tournament of this nature, not only were there probably some nerves but there is an adjustment period.

I'm not saying this means he should be absolved of any critiques but as an 18 year old (in what most call a 19 year old tourney), he has done well.

I know he is doing very well and i almost hate to criticize him at all, but just my dumb observations and he will likely get a hat-trick vs the Czechs (in a 4-3 loss) and all will be right with the world.

too bad havent televised any Swedish games.

i know AG has been productive, points wise and is not getting the ice time he is used to, but almost seems he is a bit less effective every game as the tourny goes on? I think is just unrealistic expectations on my part maybe?

But he is turning puck over and trying so many low % passes instead of taking puck to net or simply shooting more? Maybe Housley's "team first" logo and benching that kid for being selfish is part of reason?

I know almost 2 PPG is friggin super, but i still find it hard to ever pull for Team USA to win anything. I simply cant get that irritating Ryder Cup "USA..USA..USA!" chant out of my head.

What about Boston's fan chant when Lucic fights Komisarek ??? Bunch of idiots cheering for a Canadian to beat an American chanting USA USA USA...

What about Boston's fan chant when Lucic fights Komisarek ??? Bunch of idiots cheering for a Canadian to beat an American chanting USA USA USA...

Ugh, don't ever mention that fight again, please!! :1vomit:

It's to bad that Bergevin wasn't able to swing a deal to pick up another 1st round pick. I really wanted grigerenko. I think Buffalo got a steal when he slid that far.

It's to bad that Bergevin wasn't able to swing a deal to pick up another 1st round pick. I really wanted grigerenko. I think Buffalo got a steal when he slid that far.

I agree that Grig will be a very good player. Toronto needs to give their head a shake for not taking him. Not to say Reilly isn't a good draft pick but he wasn't a need like Grig.

I agree, but I don't think i would like what we would have to give up to get that pick.

If we were going to move Cammy it should have been a package deal where we could have picked up another top ten pick.

I agree, but I don't think i would like what we would have to give up to get that pick.

If we were going to move Cammy it should have been a package deal where we could have picked up another top ten pick.

Nobody was offering that especially since Cammalleri's numbers were down. He wasn't really a need for anyone wanting to add anything more than extra scoring or making a lateral move, which the Cammalleri deal was.

How Cammalleri was handled in Montreal is a great disappointment to me, since I really liked his play. He could be a primadonna and was mostly one dimensional but the coaching failed him miserably. Any time you have a player who is good at something and you place him in a position that will cause him to underperform what he's good at, you've failed basic hockey fundamentals.

Nobody was offering that especially since Cammalleri's numbers were down. He wasn't really a need for anyone wanting to add anything more than extra scoring or making a lateral move, which the Cammalleri deal was.

Nobody was offering on Cammy because nobody knew he was available. It was reported after the trade that other GMs said if they knew Cammy was on the move they would of made an offer. Only people that knew he was on then move were goat and Feaster

Back to the world juniors, I don't watch the CHL at all, so I'm only going on what I'm seeing from the tournament. The 2 games I've seen Russia play, Yakupov is useless. He doesn't play defense, he floats and doesn't pass. Three qualities coaches hate. Unless there's a dimension to his game which he isn't displaying at the world juniors, I think Edmonton made a big mistake picking him. He reminds me of Omark, can have all the talent in the world but with an attitude like that, he'll never fit in any lineup. Last year after beating Canada his comments after the game were uncalled for as well. Wouldn't be too surprised if he jump ship for the KHL anyway, already did it to his CHL (or AHL, but I think it was Sarnia) team this year.

I believe Cammy was gone before Bergevin got here so it would have been pretty difficult for him to pick up another first rounder using Calgary property. I will stick with my original statement, you probably would not like what Bergivin would have had to give up to get another first rounder to get GRIG

I believe Cammy was gone before Bergevin got here so it would have been pretty difficult for him to pick up another first rounder using Calgary property. I will stick with my original statement, you probably would not like what Bergivin would have had to give up to get another first rounder to get GRIG

What I meant was that PG should not have traded clammy unless the intent was to load up on high picks - last year was a lost cause.

I also think Bergevin should have tried to pick up another 1st at the draft. I think we had some pieces to move, as well as picks. I really liked grinko and when he slid so far, I was really hoping we would have tried. Frankly, I think this year (assuming it starts) and next year are write-offs (which is anither reason why I didn't like the Prust signing - he is a complementary role player, when we need to seriously overhaul the top 6). I'd have been prepared to move a gionta, prospect like Kristo (I like him but have a feeling we won't be able to sign him and he'll pull a Schultz/wheeler move).