Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

My bad Don, I hadn't heard Vejdemo was 19. I apologize good sir..You're right, his omission is cause for some concern. I keep hearing he's a diamond in the rough though. Let's hope that applies and we find out sooner rather than later

To spin this positively, the fact he's first in line as an injury replacement means he's on the radar. Even if he doesn't play in this tournament, he'll likely join the WJC team if he has a good start to his season.

Hey, there are super NHLers who never made Canada National team and also many who make those teams who then never amount to anything above that.

I think easy to say that politics play a big part in national teams roster make up. (Czech Olympic team of old timers is perfect example)

And is that taboo normally for a prospect?

It certainly doesn't happen very often. Apparently Emelin didn't go to these back in the day either. But this can't help Reway's status in the eyes of management. Lehkonen and Vejdemo are both signed already for next season but both are coming over to camp. It doesn't reflect well on Reway not to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Magnus Nygren's SHL deal apparently contains an NHL out clause. (I'm not sure whether it's a yearly one or at one specified point in the contract.) So if he has a great year in Sweden, we may get to have the will he/won't he sign discussion all over again...yay?

How come we never hear about Nygren's game? When he was in Hamilton we weren't blown away...when he went back to Sweden, we heard even less..Not once did we hear any rumblings like "he's the best defenseman not in the NHL!" I don't recall ever seeing him play? Was he the guy that was brought up (maybe against Win) and played like 2 shifts, then got pinned to the bench by Therrien?

Concussion knocked him out for season, so little to talk about.

But, he defense still was lacking and that isn't so good for a d-man prospect looking to make the jump.

Yes but he's been a pro for how many years now? 3-4? Still nothing, is it time to cut him loose?

Might as well keep him for this season, see if he develops beyond the concussion and if not? Cut him loose.

He was massively overrated by Habs fans in certain parts of the world wide web due to his point shot. People were tossing him into our PP2 combinations after he ran away from Hamilton. Once in Hamilton again, prior to concussion, he was a one trick pony in the AHL.

That's what I thought..just a big slapshot. Will he be in St John's this season I wonder?

No. He signed a four year deal back in Sweden. The deal apparently contains an out clause if the Habs (or someone else in a few years when he's unrestricted) want to bring him back to North America. However, because of his contract, he wouldn't be leaving unless he was more or less promised an NHL spot.

He was apparently on the verge of being recalled last year before he suffered his concussion which is probably why even now, a lot of people still will be paying attention to him.

Wasn't this the guy that said that it was too dangerous in Hamilton? Maybe he's using that as an excuse and just isn't cut out for the North American game?

His brother got robbed in Burlington if I remember correctly, which is anything but dangerous. Basically he had a freakout and made a bad career decision. That said, even if he stayed I don't think he'd be any closer to an NHL roster spot.

Correct.

Yannick Weber also has big point shot (and actually had 11g last year for Nuckleheads), but besides that he is quite lacking and not many HabFans miss him do they?

• 4 weeks later...

The preseason in Sweden has started with Lehkonen's team facing off against Nygren's squad yesterday. Lehkonen had an assist while Nygren was held off the scoresheet. But, it was his first game in a long time after missing most of last season.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker