St. John's IceCaps offseason thread

DON

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerseys are fine, but am more concerned that some kids really show they can excel at pro level and also that team maybe makes playoffs this year.

• 3 weeks later...

So, unlikely to be any more pick ups before Oct eh?

It depends on how many extras they want to have under contract and if they think any of the holdovers from the rookie camp (Brown, Eisenschmid, Hunt, Miceli, and Watson) can take one of those spots. They definitely need to sign a few more forwards though at the very least but it seems they'll be more of the depth variety unfortunately.

I was wondering what was going o with him.

Maybe he sees more hope of cracking Florida's roster? Or is it more a $$ thing?

I would hope he's smart enough to realize that his NHL future is highly unlikely. He's 24 and a bottom six AHL forward. Not many make it from there. In terms of money, there's nothing guaranteed here. If he does well, maybe he gets an invite to Florida's main camp in the hopes of getting an AHL deal.

Considering a PTO in late August is all he can get, I have to surmise that the Habs' management let him walk. That surprises me, especially since they certainly need more forward depth.

I would hope he's smart enough to realize that his NHL future is highly unlikely. He's 24 and a bottom six AHL forward. Not many make it from there. In terms of money, there's nothing guaranteed here. If he does well, maybe he gets an invite to Florida's main camp in the hopes of getting an AHL deal.

Considering a PTO in late August is all he can get, I have to surmise that the Habs' management let him walk. That surprises me, especially since they certainly need more forward depth.

If you are just signing an career AHLer, you might as well have a top six guy. No surprise here.

If you are just signing an career AHLer, you might as well have a top six guy. No surprise here.

They'll sign a few career AHL'ers or prospects who will start in the ECHL in the next few weeks. Sorkin would likely be better than most of those guys.

They'll sign a few career AHL'ers or prospects who will start in the ECHL in the next few weeks. Sorkin would likely be better than most of those guys.

I think they still have room for borderline NHLers', guys you could call up in a pinch, maybe with some NHL experience.

I think they still have room for borderline NHLers', guys you could call up in a pinch, maybe with some NHL experience.

They're at 47 contracts already so I can't see them using one on another guy like Bowman, someone who could be recalled in a pinch. If they add any veterans (which would be really nice by the way as this is a very young team), they'll be on minor league deals.

They're at 47 contracts already so I can't see them using one on another guy like Bowman, someone who could be recalled in a pinch. If they add any veterans (which would be really nice by the way as this is a very young team), they'll be on minor league deals.

Just me speculating-- the market place for signing Jaffray types in Europe may be declining (economy)-- we know that Ahl contracts don't count against limit., forcing similar players not as lucky as Jaffray to accept AHL deals or be without job

http://www.stjohnsicecaps.com/article/icecaps-release-2015-16-schedule/

Interestingly, it's not all two game mini series as I believe was the case last year. It is at home but not on the road. No games at the Bell Centre by the looks of things either unless they're getting added at a later date. Most home stands are six games although there are a couple of four gamers as well. Aside from the opening two games, each road trip is at least four contests as well.

Another RH d-man in Brown eh.

His #s look good, but Hawks didn't see enough to sign him eh?

He's actually a lefty, hockeydb has him incorrectly listed as a righty. Look at the picture in this article about his acquisition.

The IceCaps were (and still are) badly lacking on left side D so I'm happy with this signing. Two straight 50 point seasons as a D are worth looking at.

So,

Icecaps likely will have 9 d to pick from;

RH- Didier, Dietz, Lernout, Thrower, Johnson, Ellis

LH- Bennett, Hanley, Brown, Barberio.

And couple of 6-d will be ECHL bound (just wont be Dietz, Bennett, Barberio)

They'll probably send down no more than two of the ten you have listed there. With the extra travel challenges, they'll likely carry a deeper roster than previous years. If I had to guess right now which two would go, it'd be Thrower and Didier.

(went to Jethro Bodine school of countin).

Wasn't sure if maybe Brown, Johnson or Hanley would be most likely headed to the Beast. But was still hoping Thrower maybe will be finally 100% healthy and can stick in AHL.

(went to Jethro Bodine school of countin).

Wasn't sure if maybe Brown, Johnson or Hanley would be most likely headed to the Beast. But was still hoping Thrower maybe will be finally 100% healthy and can stick in AHL.

Hanley just played a full AHL season and was signed as an NHL UFA rather early in free agency. I don't think the Habs did that for ECHL depth purposes. Johnston's 23 and as another UFA signee, I don't know if Montreal was signing him just for the ECHL. (I've flipped on this one as originally, I had him pegged for Brampton but for them to give him an NHL deal, they see something in him.) Brown could very much be a candidate to go down but with so little depth on the left side - especially if Barberio doesn't make it down - he almost makes it by default as things stand.

Thrower was healthy for most of the second half last year and didn't play particularly well with Brampton. His play wasn't worthy of a call-up at all. From an organizational perspective too, I'd rather have him playing every night down there over being a healthy scratch most nights with the IceCaps. (He's already behind Dietz, Ellis, and Lernout on the right side at the very least.)