Here we go again, the Coyotes nightmare continues

dlbalr

If you haven't been following it the last couple of days, the City of Glendale voted to pull the current lease agreement they have with the Coyotes (after just 2 of 15 years). They claim to have legal grounds to do so, the team/league says they don't and a big lawsuit is about to be filed while the team is seeking an injunction.

The supposed legal grounds from what I've read is that the City is using a little-known section of their bylaw that says the City can pull out of a contract within three years of signing if someone involved in the negotiations from the City's side now works for the other party. This is the case here...sort of.

Their lead attorney resigned in February of 2013, effective in April. He accepted a six month severance up until October 2013. He now works for the Coyotes. The deal was signed in I believe July of 2013 so the City is trying to say that since their former attorney was still on the payroll for the City in July, he was still technically under their employ which means they can trigger this out clause. Hopefully that makes some sense.

There's now a disagreement on whether or not the Coyotes are still tenants of the arena. The team says yes, citing they're paying down debt on the building while the City says no and has hired an event management company to look into fall/winter arena bookies. (And to put a semi-Hab spin on this, the management company is Global Spectrum, the same company that forced the Bulldogs on a nearly month-long road trip to end each of the last few seasons...)

This should be fun to follow in the days/weeks ahead (depending on how quickly any injunction gets ruled on).

http://www.tsn.ca/glendale-contemplates-arena-plans-without-coyotes-1.305719

Well Gary I guess it is time to pull up stakes and head out of Dodge (Glendale). This should really be the final straw, after all that has been done to keep this franchise there, and city council pulls this stunt? I really feel for the fans who have been mercilessly jerked around by all the shenanigans. Quebec looks good. They want a franchise. Gotta move some franchises from east to west, Las Vegas looks good now. If the council succeeds in keeping the Coyotes out of the building, there has got be some quick movement on the owners and the NHL.

Well Gary I guess it is time to pull up stakes and head out of Dodge (Glendale). This should really be the final straw, after all that has been done to keep this franchise there, and city council pulls this stunt? I really feel for the fans who have been mercilessly jerked around by all the shenanigans. Quebec looks good. They want a franchise. Gotta move some franchises from east to west, Las Vegas looks good now. If the council succeeds in keeping the Coyotes out of the building, there has got be some quick movement on the owners and the NHL.

If the City's actions are upheld by the courts and the Coyotes are booted from their arena, I can't see Quebec as a landing spot. It would require either them to stay out West for now or a last ditch re-alignment which will mess the schedule up. The NHL is targeting a June release for the schedule so it's probably a bit late to do re-alignment (which would be met with some resistance by the teams being moved again). Besides, the NHL probably wants the expansion fee for Quebec.

Another note, if the Coyotes relocate, they'll get hit with a fee of 60 million to relocate. Don't quote me, but I think the Panthers sold for 120 mil two seasons ago. To relocate would cost the Coyotes half of their value, and while I talk out of my ass here, probably make it harder on the team's financials and borrowing powers.

Hey, here's an idea? The Solar Bears play in the same arena as the Magic. Isn't it time to have three teams in Florida?

I believe that the law in question is an Arizona State Law and not a city bylaw, if I heard correctly yesterday. I would expect that the NHL is trying to make enough viable market options that two teams (32 team league) will step up and pay the half a billion dollar expansion fee. CHING CHING. The owners of the Coyotes as late as yesterday, still believe in the Glendale market. I would say that relocation is not a preferred outcome to the stakeholders. I could see the Coyotes winning some damages. The case is not as clear cut as the city thinks it is.

The Quebec City Coyotes has a nice ring to it.

But if they simply fold (as well as 3 other teams; such as, NJ, Fla, Car) would be fine by me.

The issue a lot of people forget or just don't know is relocating Arizona to Canada puts the NHL dangerously close to dropping to 21 American teams. We're at 23 right now. At 22 it's near the line. At 21, NBC can cancel their national TV deal with the NHL, a deal they bet everything for. If they move Arizona to Quebec and then Florida collapses, the NHL would lose everything by losing that NBC deal. They are not going to risk it.

I'm betting IceArizona talks to Robert Sarver of the Phoenix Suns and they look to getting an arena together while the Coyotes temporarily move back to the Talking Stick Resort (which was horrible for them to play in the 90s) Arena until the new arena is built.

The issue a lot of people forget or just don't know is relocating Arizona to Canada puts the NHL dangerously close to dropping to 21 American teams. We're at 23 right now. At 22 it's near the line. At 21, NBC can cancel their national TV deal with the NHL, a deal they bet everything for. If they move Arizona to Quebec and then Florida collapses, the NHL would lose everything by losing that NBC deal. They are not going to risk it.

I'm betting IceArizona talks to Robert Sarver of the Phoenix Suns and they look to getting an arena together while the Coyotes temporarily move back to the Talking Stick Resort (which was horrible for them to play in the 90s) Arena until the new arena is built.

If the Suns and coyotes can get together it may be a solution, to what has been a 20 year fiasco. Did not know about the NBC contract, that is an interesting bit of news that complicates things even more. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I have read that there are people who believe that Saskatoon is a viable option, can't see that myself.

If the Suns and coyotes can get together it may be a solution, to what has been a 20 year fiasco. Did not know about the NBC contract, that is an interesting bit of news that complicates things even more. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I have read that there are people who believe that Saskatoon is a viable option, can't see that myself.

Short-term (as in, they have to go somewhere for a year while they figure out a more permanent solution), Saskatoon could very well be at the top of the list. They have an NHL sized rink (on the smaller side though capacity wise) and even though it would be a one and done situation, the fans would likely come out to see NHL hockey while they could.

Short-term (as in, they have to go somewhere for a year while they figure out a more permanent solution), Saskatoon could very well be at the top of the list. They have an NHL sized rink (on the smaller side though capacity wise) and even though it would be a one and done situation, the fans would likely come out to see NHL hockey while they could.

Well you are right they would fill it for one season, but imagine the crying when it was time for the team to leave.

So Glendale is willing to renegotiate, the deal to make it more fair to Glendale. HaHa the translation is we are losing too much money and you need to lose more. That just doesn't seem like a good base to making a deal. The Coyotes are probably going to fold their cards and give Glendale more money back. If they do it will have ramifications that extend throughout the league. Every city that wants a new deal will be going over their contract with a fine tooth comb looking a reason to terminate their lease agreement assuming there is one. I really think that it time to cut the losses and move the team to a profitable area. Yes, there will be short term pain for long term gain. Maybe they should negotiate the end of this lease. Look we will give you this for 2 years and then we are gone. That would give them time to have a new arena in place somewhere that makes sense. The Coyotes are very consistent, they have lost money for over 20 years never having had a profit. Glendale is losing 8 million a year having the Coyotes in their building. I know it is not a simple process but the Thrashers did it. Now they had an arena ready to go. But in 2 years I believe there will be an arena available it they know they have an NHL team coming. This club known as the vacuum cleaner has been sucking up money at a rapid rate. Sorry Gary it is time to call this a valiant effort but you just gotta quit at some time. The fans take the beating but 6 people out of a couple of million, so sad too bad.

So Glendale is willing to renegotiate, the deal to make it more fair to Glendale.

That's what this whole charade has been about from the start. They wanted to renegotiate, the Coyotes said no, and so the City responded with this. Now they'll claim the ball is back in the Coyotes' court to get back to the table if for no other reason than to guarantee them a spot to play next season.

• 1 month later...

So in the end, it really just was a re-negotiation ploy. Glendale and the Coyotes have agreed on a new lease agreement, cancelling the one they were going to court over. It's for all of two whole years, then the nonsense gets to start again.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/glendale-to-vote-on-amended-lease-agreement-with-coyotes-072315

So in the end, it really just was a re-negotiation ploy. Glendale and the Coyotes have agreed on a new lease agreement, cancelling the one they were going to court over. It's for all of two whole years, then the nonsense gets to start again.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/glendale-to-vote-on-amended-lease-agreement-with-coyotes-072315

This thing is so screwed up it makes my head spin. They give up a whole bunch of revenue to lower the amount they have to pay for running the arena? This appears to me to a whole bunch of nothing. I guess Glendale have a concrete number on costs, and that may be some benefit. I also don't know what the 2 years is about? do they still have the 15 year deal? Now it says the out clause has been removed. There must be more info coming.

This thing is so screwed up it makes my head spin. They give up a whole bunch of revenue to lower the amount they have to pay for running the arena? This appears to me to a whole bunch of nothing. I guess Glendale have a concrete number on costs, and that may be some benefit. I also don't know what the 2 years is about? do they still have the 15 year deal? Now it says the out clause has been removed. There must be more info coming.

The City of Glendale comes out well ahead in this. Yes, they don't get the percentage of certain revenues but the percentage of the revenues they were receiving was a lot less than the $8.5 M less they have to pay in the arena management fee.

As for the 15 year deal, it's toast. It's two years and we'll be hearing about this all over again.

The City of Glendale comes out well ahead in this. Yes, they don't get the percentage of certain revenues but the percentage of the revenues they were receiving was a lot less than the $8.5 M less they have to pay in the arena management fee.

As for the 15 year deal, it's toast. It's two years and we'll be hearing about this all over again.

Yes I was just reading the latest news out of Glendale. If I am the coyotes I have 2 years to find a new place to call home, and get away from the Glendale Lunatics.

How long does this stupidity have to go on? The Coyotes have failed consistently in every year since moving to Arizona in 1996. That will be 20 years next season.

Gary, face it. Your experiment failed. Pick them up, move them to one of the potential good hockey cities that did NOT give you an expansion application (I suggest Portland Oregon or Seattle Washington) and wash your hands of it. Then be prepared to do the same thing in Las Vegas in 20 years.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like this two year deal is a bit different than originally reported. Coyote ownership retains the arena management contract for the upcoming season only. In the second year, they're likely to be a paying tenant to a new arena management group. (Glendale is expected to formally open a tender process for new groups early next week.) This means that instead of getting paid to run the arena, the Coyotes will have to pay to play there. Something tells me that's not going to go over well.

A couple of things that have been speculated from what I've read:

- The team had a small window to actively seek relocation this summer, believed to be 48-72 hours. Suffice it to say, they couldn't get something done although with the expansion process happening at the same time, that's not that hard to believe.

- There is an ability for the Coyotes to buy themselves out of the second year of this new deal with the city. If true, it wouldn't be shocking to see them working hard behind the scenes to try to find a new place to play as early as 2016-17.

This story won't be going away any time soon...

• 8 months later...

The fun continues...

Today, team ownership sent a letter to Glendale informing them that they plan to leave "as soon as practicable." While the short-term hope will be to move elsewhere in Phoenix, this won't stop the relocation rumblings from starting to swirl all over again.

http://ktar.com/story/1071622/not-happening-arizona-coyotes-slam-door-on-team-playing-in-glendale/