Should the Habs sign Andrei Kostitsyn?

habs rule

You mean the guy in a civil suit for sexually assaulting his babysitter? Yeah, he could put up 110pts and I won't give a flip. Ribeiro, Voynov, nope don't have an iota of interest.

That civil suit is years old and last I checked he was innocent untill proven guilty, or do you still think Dougie Gilmore was guilty of assaulting his babysitter?

By the way I am just jerking everyone's chain Bergie ain't calling Big Titsy. It's a slow day and we needed something to talk about. :)

By the way you do know that there have been some absolutely horrendous people who who were great athletes right?

30 teams in the NHL.

Only one teams fans think bringing back Andrei Kostitsyn is a good idea.

The media is certainly cheerleading for him because they know how big that particular fanbase is.

Everyone loves to frame this about just the Predators incident but everyone in the NHL knows what the player he is and scouts have watched him in the KHL. Why are all of these other KHLers getting shots but not Andrei?

Andrei put up two disappointing seasons with Traktor, who in 12-13 was a Top 5 team that lost in the finals (21 pts in 44 games, 10 less than Jan Bulis) and in 13-14 they missed the playoffs (31 pts in 54 games, 2nd in scoring so he can say he was better than Jan Bulis that year). Last season, they traded Kostitsyn to HK Sochi after 13 games when he only had 4 points and a -12. Kostitsyn turned his game around with 31 points in 37 games but did nothing for Sochi in the playoffs. In other words, he's been as enigmatic as ever before and is trying to bank on a great performance after being dumped by Traktor and nobody seems to be biting.

I keep hearing "25 to 30" goals but Kostitsyn only once in his career hit that mark with 26 goals. After that he scored 23 (in 74)... then 15 (in 59), then 20 (in 81), then finished his NHL career with 16 goals (in 72) before going back to the KHL. He was trending down while still in his 20s to becoming just a third line, 15 goal scorer yet some people believe even after all these years away from the NHL, he's still the 07-08 guy carried to 26 goals by Alex Kovalev.

He comes to the NHL, you're looking at 15 goals if he has an amazing year. He's no 25 goal scorer. He's only once hit that mark and trended down. Even in the KHL he was inconsistent. And you expect him to be a great pickup?

Wouldn't touch him or his brother with a 50 foot pole. Would rather take risks on 23 and 24 year olds like DSP and Kassian than a guy who was never as good as his reputation.

Aren't you the same dude that suggested our best powerplay option was Gomez? Tongue-in-cheek I don't know. Nobody can sit here and tell me what AK could or could not bring. What I do know is that Ak was our best pure snipers since probably S. Richer, taking Pax man out of mix, because he is already with us.

Aren't you the same dude that suggested our best powerplay option was Gomez? Tongue-in-cheek I don't know. Nobody can sit here and tell me what AK could or could not bring. What I do know is that Ak was our best pure snipers since probably S. Richer, taking Pax man out of mix, because he is already with us.

Gomez had the highest powerplay point total out of available free agents. I wasn't saying we should sign him. I was saying our fix to our PP won't be found on free agency. I thought mentioning him would make that obvious but my bad, guess not!

Also calling him our best sniper over Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta and Plekanec (all players that scored more goals for us than him) is a downright embarrassing exaggeration. Dude had two years as an average top six winger then fell to the third line. Even Michael Ryder was far better.

EDIT: Wait a second. Since Richer? SINCE RICHER!? I thought you were saying just in the past few years. You're saying a guy whose CAREER BEST was 26 goals in a season, whose CAREER HABS TOTALS was 99 goals in 379 games was our best pure sniper since Stephane Richer?

Better than Mark Recchi?

Better than Kirk Muller?

Better than Vincent Damphousse?

Better than Richard Zednik?

Better than Alex Kovalev?

Better than Michael Ryder?

Better than Mike Cammalleri?

Better than Brian Gionta?

Better than Erik Cole?

This has to be the greatest Hab hyperbole to defend an average player I've seen in a very, very long time. Whoa.

Gomez had the highest powerplay point total out of available free agents. I wasn't saying we should sign him. I was saying our fix to our PP won't be found on free agency. I thought mentioning him would make that obvious but my bad, guess not!

Also calling him our best sniper over Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta and Plekanec (all players that scored more goals for us than him) is a downright embarrassing exaggeration. Dude had two years as an average top six winger then fell to the third line. Even Michael Ryder was far better.

EDIT: Wait a second. Since Richer? SINCE RICHER!? I thought you were saying just in the past few years. You're saying a guy whose CAREER BEST was 26 goals in a season, whose CAREER HABS TOTALS was 99 goals in 379 games was our best pure sniper since Stephane Richer?

Better than Mark Recchi?

Better than Kirk Muller?

Better than Vincent Damphousse?

Better than Richard Zednik?

Better than Alex Kovalev?

Better than Michael Ryder?

Better than Mike Cammalleri?

Better than Brian Gionta?

Better than Erik Cole?

This has to be the greatest Hab hyperbole to defend an average player I've seen in a very, very long time. Whoa.

That's why I said tongue in cheek. As far as sniper, I am not talking about numbers. I am talking about hard quick release. Ryder might be the best comparable, maybe Kovalev

Machine's post was great. It's pretty simple: even if this guy does have his head screwed on right, he is a KHL mediocrity. Why on earth would we, or any team, want him?

What amazes me is the number of fans who seem to have some sort of nostalgia for Kostitsyn. As far as I'm concerned, this guy symbolizes everything that was wrong with the first Gainey rebuild. An unprofessional punk who could not be relied upon from night to night, who didn't give a sh*t, and who never fulfilled whatever potential he had. That pretty much sums up the entire team from that era. The current generation of Habs is SO superior to those bums it's not even funny.

'Best sniper since Richer...' :monkey: Even if that were true, it would merely illustrate how pathetic the Habs were in the intervening decade.

Here is what Dave lewis thinks...

"

With so little money to go around in a salary cap world it is certainly worthy of consideration.

Kostitsyn was a 10th overall pick by Montreal and managed three 20-goal seasons with the Habs. More recently, he put up nine points in seven games for Belarus at the IIHF World Hockey Championship, where he played under former NHL coach Dave Lewis.

"Everything we asked him to do he did," said Lewis. "There was some, I guess, trepidation when I first got there. I'd heard a lot of different things about his past, but to me he came really motivated and focused."

Lewis believes Kostitsyn still possesses the skillset to play in the NHL if given the right opportunity. He's already passed that viewpoint along to one team's GM and remains open to sharing his thoughts with others.

A lifelong hockey man, Lewis knows that a reputation can be tough to shake.

"We never really talked about (Kostitsyn's past) because sometimes words are pretty easy," he said. "I was more watching his performance, his attitude, his discipline and his focus rather than even bringing up any of that past NHL stuff."

Pretty knowledgeable hockey guy.....

Machine's post was great. It's pretty simple: even if this guy does have his head screwed on right, he is a KHL mediocrity. Why on earth would we, or any team, want him?

What amazes me is the number of fans who seem to have some sort of nostalgia for Kostitsyn. As far as I'm concerned, this guy symbolizes everything that was wrong with the first Gainey rebuild. An unprofessional punk who could not be relied upon from night to night, who didn't give a sh*t, and who never fulfilled whatever potential he had. That pretty much sums up the entire team from that era. The current generation of Habs is SO superior to those bums it's not even funny.

'Best sniper since Richer...' :monkey: Even if that were true, it would merely illustrate how pathetic the Habs were in the intervening decade.

Yeah-- i think this is all a moot point because we haven't see MB take any risk until maybe Kassian this year. I will take the risk of trying to describe, in my mind, what a sniper is. A sniper is a shooter first and mostly, who can realistically expect to beat a goalie on the merits of his own shot anywhere from the blue line in.

we haven't see MB take any risk until maybe Kassian this year.

- signs Colby Armstrong after he was bought out by the Maple Leafs

- trades Erik Cole after a 30 goal season for a UFA Michael Ryder out of evaluation that Cole might have declined, instead of waiting to see if he was just in a slump (he declined)

- signs Danny Briere after he was bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers

- trades advanced stat champion and blogger favourite Raphael Diaz for likely headed to waivers grinder Dale Weise

- trades former highly touted prospect Danny Kristo for Christian Thomas (Kristo has yet to crack the NHL and was let go by the Rangers, recently signing with the Blues)

- trades highly touted prospect Collberg in a trade deadline move for Tomas Vanek

- trades rookie Jiri Sekac for Devante Smith-Pelly

- trades well liked locker room leader Brandon Prust for Zack Kassian

- trades well liked locker room leader Josh Gorges for a second rounder

- forces P.K. Subban to take a bridge contract

- is looking to be pushing Alex Galchenyuk to take a bridge contract

Haven't seen him take any risk?

As for AK and "sniper", Recchi had a harder wrister. Rucinsky had a harder wrister. Zednik had a harder wrister. Koivu had a harder wrister. Higgins had a harder wrister (that once upon a time would hit the net 20 times a season). Kovalev had a harder wrister. Cammalleri had a harder wrister. Ryder had a harder wrister. Cole had a...

Since the last 37 posts in the rumour thread all had something to do with Kostitsyn, I've moved them to its own thread. That way, any Kostitsyn talk can go here and the rumour thread can be left for rumours...whenever there happen to be any. (It has been a quiet few days...)

Great post MoLG!!

Andrei put up two disappointing seasons with Traktor, who in 12-13 was a Top 5 team that lost in the finals (21 pts in 44 games, 10 less than Jan Bulis) and in 13-14 they missed the playoffs (31 pts in 54 games, 2nd in scoring so he can say he was better than Jan Bulis that year). Last season, they traded Kostitsyn to HK Sochi after 13 games when he only had 4 points and a -12. Kostitsyn turned his game around with 31 points in 37 games but did nothing for Sochi in the playoffs. In other words, he's been as enigmatic as ever before and is trying to bank on a great performance after being dumped by Traktor and nobody seems to be biting.

I keep hearing "25 to 30" goals but Kostitsyn only once in his career hit that mark with 26 goals. After that he scored 23 (in 74)... then 15 (in 59), then 20 (in 81), then finished his NHL career with 16 goals (in 72) before going back to the KHL. He was trending down while still in his 20s to becoming just a third line, 15 goal scorer yet some people believe even after all these years away from the NHL, he's still the 07-08 guy carried to 26 goals by Alex Kovalev.

He comes to the NHL, you're looking at 15 goals if he has an amazing year. He's no 25 goal scorer. He's only once hit that mark and trended down. Even in the KHL he was inconsistent. And you expect him to be a great pickup?

Wouldn't touch him or his brother with a 50 foot pole. Would rather take risks on 23 and 24 year olds like DSP and Kassian than a guy who was never as good as his reputation.

I did the same thing. I checked out his stats in the KHL, and was disappointed to see the AK46 hasn't done anything impressive in Russia! Why the hell would be bring him back now that he's 30 years old and on the downhill side of his career?!?!

As for AK and "sniper", Recchi had a harder wrister (ok). Rucinsky had a harder wrister. (no way) Zednik had a harder wrister (not at all). Koivu had a harder wrister (hahahahahaha). Higgins had a harder wrister (that once upon a time would hit the net 20 times a season) (not even close). Kovalev had a harder wrister (true). Cammalleri had a harder wrister (ok). Ryder had a harder wrister (same league as AK). Cole had a (no)...

• Upvote 1

I don't mind spending some of Molson's money to find out if he has anything left. As long as it doesn't cost under the cap. We can bury him in the minors. He wouldn't stay there, he would head home and we would have our answer. It's kinda like going on a test drive, maybe you hate Fords that don't mean you can't one out for a spin just to make sure. He might even light a fire under some of the other guys to have to work a little harder for their spot. Who knows? If he scored 20 -25 goals all you guys would love him.

He could score 30g and some would still hate him, you know that; would hear "yah..but he did dick-all in 30 games" or some such foolishness.

Who knows? If he scored 20 -25 goals all you guys would love him.

There's little reason to think he can do that though. He didn't do that all that often when he was with Montreal and now he's a lot older and slower. He's not a top six forward anymore. Heck, he wasn't one last year for a good chunk of the season in the KHL. He's no more than a third liner if he gets a shot somewhere and it's somewhat telling that he only has a tryout offer on the table.

I don't mind spending some of Molson's money to find out if he has anything left. As long as it doesn't cost under the cap. We can bury him in the minors. He wouldn't stay there, he would head home and we would have our answer. It's kinda like going on a test drive, maybe you hate Fords that don't mean you can't one out for a spin just to make sure. He might even light a fire under some of the other guys to have to work a little harder for their spot. Who knows? If he scored 20 -25 goals all you guys would love him.

This is why its worth it. If he's willing to sign for under 1 mill you could bury him scott free.

He could score 30g and some would still hate him, you know that; would hear "yah..but he did dick-all in 30 games" or some such foolishness.

But he never scored 30. The closest he got to 30 was seven years ago at 26. He left the NHL as a third liner who could slot in the top six in an injury situation and was no longer someone who could score 20 in a season. He left the NHL back in 2012.

Some here seem to think even with goal scoring dropping in the league compared to when he was last here that Andrei is not just going to score like he used to, he'll score like he did once in his career in his first full season playing on the top Habs scoring line.

But he never scored 30. The closest he got to 30 was seven years ago at 26. He left the NHL as a third liner who could slot in the top six in an injury situation and was no longer someone who could score 20 in a season. He left the NHL back in 2012.

Some here seem to think even with goal scoring dropping in the league compared to when he was last here that Andrei is not just going to score like he used to, he'll score like he did once in his career in his first full season playing on the top Habs scoring line.

Listen to Machine. Machine is wise.

You think you need thirty goals from AK to validate his signing at 1M or so, but you leave a guy out on the power play all year who is making 3M plus and had 3 powerplay goals, and thats OK?