Patrick Sharp in a Montreal jersey. Why Not?

29habs3318

Putting it out there. As of today, I think he is still an UFA. Seems like a perfect fit to me.

What does everyone think?

The buzz about Sharp isn't that he's an UFA, it's that he's on the trade block because Chicago needs to free up cap space. As for having Sharp on the team, sure, but at what cost? I don't want to give up much for a declining 34 year old.

Also not sure if Montreal is the greatest trade partner because our cap situation isn't amazing either. Hawks won't be able to save a whole lot because were looking to unload contracts as well.

Sharp has two more years left at just shy of $6 million per. It would be one thing if the Habs could unload similar salary back to bring him in. But if Chicago could afford to do that, they'd just as well keep Sharp. I thought he'd have been traded by now but my guess is that the offers are low. Last year, Bowman held onto Leddy (they were over the cap) until right before the season started so they'll be patient until they get what they want.

Sharp also has a no-trade clause. The team can ask him for a list of ten teams he'd accept a trade to and the list must be submitted within 48 hours. If the Habs aren't on that list, that would make a deal that much more difficult. If Sharp wants to stay, he'll just pick a bunch of bottom feeders that won't want him and capped-out teams that can't afford him.

Montreal will trade for Patrick Sharp only after MB finds out how much money he has left with Galchenyuk then he needs to find another trade partner to unload either Emelin or Gilbert. Perhaps a 3 way trade with a team to be determined. That's the only was because Sharp is a salary dump for Chicago probably a prospect or more likely a 2nd round pick. I say the odds are 40% he comes to Montreal

Sharp has two more years left at just shy of $6 million per. It would be one thing if the Habs could unload similar salary back to bring him in. But if Chicago could afford to do that, they'd just as well keep Sharp. I thought he'd have been traded by now but my guess is that the offers are low. Last year, Bowman held onto Leddy (they were over the cap) until right before the season started so they'll be patient until they get what they want.

Sharp also has a no-trade clause. The team can ask him for a list of ten teams he'd accept a trade to and the list must be submitted within 48 hours. If the Habs aren't on that list, that would make a deal that much more difficult. If Sharp wants to stay, he'll just pick a bunch of bottom feeders that won't want him and capped-out teams that can't afford him.

Chicago has only 4 defenders signed....

Emelin Gilbert and a 3rd round pick?

But that adds money to their cap. They're moving Sharp to subtract money (in particular, to re-sign Oduya) so something like that is counter-productive.

I still say a combination of Pateryn, Andrighetto and a pick gets it done.

While I could be wrong, I can't see the Habs moving Pateryn having just extended him (a year earlier than necessarily) less than a week ago. Signing him that early suggests he's part of the plans moving forward and it's never good form to trade a player before his new deal even starts.

Guest Stogey24

While I could be wrong, I can't see the Habs moving Pateryn having just extended him (a year earlier than necessarily) less than a week ago. Signing him that early suggests he's part of the plans moving forward and it's never good form to trade a player before his new deal even starts.

Pateryn may surprise this coming year.

Yea I like Pateryn too, probably more than most. I like Ghetto but don't see him in future plans. If we want Sharp we should first trade Emelin for a much cheaper option (not easy) and then include one of our small forward prospect such as Ghetto and a second + for Sharp. I wouldn't give up anymore than that for an aging player.

Might Gilbert's contract be as much salary as Hawks could be willing to take back and perhaps trade Gilbert, Prospect X, pick Y for Sharp? Would Sharp fit by simply removing the $2.8m of Gilbert?

Sounds like Hawks want/need to clear tons of cash still and maybe want to take zero $ back?

Might Gilbert's contract be as much salary as Hawks could be willing to take back and perhaps trade Gilbert, Prospect X, pick Y for Sharp? Would Sharp fit by simply removing the $2.8m of Gilbert?

Sounds like Hawks want/need to clear tons of cash still and maybe want to take zero $ back?

interesting idea for sure. Both teams might be iffy because I think both would be very near the ceiling.

did a little calculating after, and I believe the Hawks would have about 2.5 mill in cap where as the Habs would have 4.2 mill cap space with a Sharp/Gilbert swap. So clearly very plausible. The question is how do the Habs sign Tinner and Chucky after?

I could see the Hawks possibly taking Gilbert as they need D and Oduya may get tired of waiting around for them. Sharp would be a nice add but really don't want to overpay for a player who is almost 34 and just had what by his standards was a weak season.

Hopefully we can find a taker for Emelin.

Any ideas on who else could be targeted if we can't Sharp? Realistically there aren't a lot of good options out there.

43 points for 6 million dollars. This is what you want to bring to the team?

Note that at this point, the much maligned David Desharnais gets us a consistent 50 points for 3.5 million dollars, and it's not good enough for anyone.

• Upvote 1

Your delusional Chicago wont take salary back it would have to be Tinordi or Pateryn to make your scenario work

Sharp can help this team and would represent a crummy contract for only two years, which is not ideal, but probably manageable. But it all depends on return. Chicago is obviously trying to create an auction. Bergevin probably wants to wait until the season looms closer and the Hawks have to get their roster finalized and under the cap. So I imagine that it's a bit of a negotiating game of chicken, and timing will be critical. Ideally, you'd catch Chi-Town when they're starting to get desperate but before other teams have twigged to that fact.

Tinordi seems like a plausible return from Chicago's point of view; after all, Sharp has been a major part of their core and they don't want to move him for spare parts like Pateryn. I'm a bit skeptical about Tiny, but I don't like trading him for a declining veteran, and would probably prefer to go into the season without adding Sharp or anyone else if it came down to a choice between trading a significant prospect for a declining old guy. Maybe better options will open up as the season unfolds. We should have tried signing Frolik IMHO.

We should have tried signing Frolik IMHO.

Who's to say they didn't? A second line two-way player fits in well with the system and it was reported Frolik had interest in playing with Montreal. I believe it was also reported that they did talk to Frolik during the interview period. At the end of the day, they got outbid for him (I suspect because of the fifth year of the deal) but I think it can be said that Bergevin tried to sign him.

Who's to say they didn't? A second line two-way player fits in well with the system and it was reported Frolik had interest in playing with Montreal. I believe it was also reported that they did talk to Frolik during the interview period. At the end of the day, they got outbid for him (I suspect because of the fifth year of the deal) but I think it can be said that Bergevin tried to sign him.

Fair enough. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't have been outbid by that particular deal (i.e., I would have given it to Frolik). But maybe the tax issues in Montreal meant that paying Frolik the same take-home pay would have meant a cap hit in excess of what Bergy was willing to absorb. Water under the bridge.

Fair enough. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't have been outbid by that particular deal (i.e., I would have given it to Frolik). But maybe the tax issues in Montreal meant that paying Frolik the same take-home pay would have meant a cap hit in excess of what Bergy was willing to absorb. Water under the bridge.

It's a far cry from the days when Bob Gainey was offering the most money to players on free agency and they were going elsewhere because of the Habs reputation at the time. Shanahan, Arnott, Briere, Drury, Smyth...

Even contracts we have maybe cringed at (Prust, Briere), both of those deals Bergevin actually offered less than what the player could have got elsewhere. I know Prust was offered more money by Calgary and Nashville while Briere was offered an extra year and a million per year more by Nashville.

The problem with signing anyone on free agency for the Habs is that we have 11 players currently signed and Galchenyuk is an RFA. If we sign anyone to a contract, it means 13 players (with Flynn likely the 13th forward) and that none of the kids in the system will be able to play for a spot (unless a guy like DLR shows he needs to go back to the AHL like what happened with Bournival). That's why I think we make a trade, send a roster forward and defenceman the other way and we go into camp with 12 signed players and a shot for a kid to make the roster.

Totally amazing replies!!! Just put this up about 22 hours ago.

I just have a real positive vibe about having Patrick Sharp skating for Montreal this year.

Can`t put my finger on it......but all the great feedback really keeps the door open.

The guy is a winner.....nice having that rubbing off in the dressing room throughout the season.

He knows what it takes to finish the job.

We need that extra "spice" to reach the ultimate goal.

• Upvote 1

No matter how you slice it, he should be an upgrade on Paranteau, unless are one of those who really feel he is spent and 78point 2013-14 season was his last solid year and last year is sign of things to come.

I think is still a good player, but wouldn't sell the farm to add him.

Guest Stogey24

Totally amazing replies!!! Just put this up about 22 hours ago.

I just have a real positive vibe about having Patrick Sharp skating for Montreal this year.

Can`t put my finger on it......but all the great feedback really keeps the door open.

The guy is a winner.....nice having that rubbing off in the dressing room throughout the season.

He knows what it takes to finish the job.

We need that extra "spice" to reach the ultimate goal.

Did Sharp not bang one of his teammates wives?