Habs sign D Ryan Johnston

dlbalr

He'll likely play with the Brampton Beast. I guess they liked what they saw form him in dev. camp.

My guess is that he's Brampton-bound as well. That said, they did coax him out of his commitment to Colgate for his senior season. An ECHL spot doesn't seem like much to offer him to get him to sign a year early. (On the other hand, perhaps an NHL deal was simply enough.)

I don't know if I get this one. 5 ft 10 175 lbs? as a defenceman? Sounds like a long shot to me. Are we bringing back the smurf brigade?

Bringing back? It never left

Bringing back? It never left

I wouldn't say that's entirely fair. There are fewer smaller players now than there were in recent years on the big club. They're down to four skaters under six feet, two of those being 5'11 (Mitchell and Plekanec). It's not like a few years ago when Gionta, Weber, Bouillon, Diaz, and Briere were all around plus the likes of Desharnais, Gallagher, and Plekanec. The number of smaller players is certainly going down.

Also, there are currently 22 d-men in the organization between players/prospects, signed or unsigned. All of one is under six feet, that being today's signing. One out of 22 isn't worth getting too upset about, especially when it's a signing more for depth purposes than anything else.

I consider Flynn a smurf. There is no magic height.5'11 vs 6'. Under 6' isn't smurf when it was the Cube,who would be tougher than anyone on this team and was one of leagues toughest pound for pound.

I consider Flynn a smurf. There is no magic height.5'11 vs 6'. Under 6' isn't smurf when it was the Cube,who would be tougher than anyone on this team and was one of leagues toughest pound for pound.

I'd disagree on Flynn but fair enough. Who else was brought in over the last couple of years though? Petry, Kassian, Weise, Gilbert, Smith-Pelly. None of those are smurfs. Parenteau played soft but was still a lot bigger than Briere. Weaver was small but played a lot bigger than his size. Guys like Murray, Prust, Armstrong, and Parros (bad memories there) that are gone now had size and grit too.

Bergevin is reducing the 'smurf brigade' but it's not a transformation that's going to happen overnight. So while I suppose the presence of a handful of small players could be argued that it never left, the Habs are a bigger team now than they were in previous years, something that seems likely to continue in seasons to come as well.

Yeah, I don't see the 'smurf' thing either. There's Desharnais and Gallagher - the latter being one of the most combative players in hockey. That's it. And when was the last time you saw this bunch being pushed around? 2012 against Ottawa was three years ago. The smurf thing is yesterday's news.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I don't see the 'smurf' thing either. There's Desharnais and Gallagher - the latter being one of the most combative players in hockey. That's it. And when was the last time you saw this bunch being pushed around? 2012 against Ottawa was three years ago. The smurf thing is yesterday's news.

If Thomas doesn't make the roster, DD and Gallagher will be the only forwards under 5'11". None of our D are under 6" and we have around the same amount of forwards as Tampa at 200lbs or heavier.

But nope, we're smurfs. Smurf brigade. So small!

• Upvote 1

If Thomas doesn't make the roster, DD and Gallagher will be the only forwards under 5'11". None of our D are under 6" and we have around the same amount of forwards as Tampa at 200lbs or heavier.

But nope, we're smurfs. Smurf brigade. So small!

Smurfs or not you can't argue that we're the softest team in the league,constantly pushed around. Our than Scherback and Mccarron,our top forward prospects are Hudon,Andi,Reway,Lekhonen. Add Thomas and Bournival and that's small. Even Carr at 6' is around 175. Where's the beef ?

Looks like we have a new troll on board. Might be a good thing during the summer break with not much else going on

Ooh a name caller. Cool Edited by GL10

Don't let him bother you GL 10 just put him on ignore, like I do.

Awww hr, and here I thought we turned a corner. I haven't picked on you in ages and we even quoted eachother a few weeks ago. I guess since 30/31 took a break you need a new friend though, so I understand. Cheers

Habs are hardly pushed around. When was the last time the Habs were physically intimidated? We just traded our 10 fights a season bruiser and the only people who care are the Nilan era dreamers.

While I'd prefer he shows his skill, ask any Canucks fan and they will tell you how intimidating Kassian was for them. Rarely does a player not back away from him when he stares then down.

Also, where were you when the Habs destroyed the physical core of the Boston Bruins? After that series we've seen the departure of Lucic, Campbell, Thornton and Boychuk to be replaced by... Zac Rinaldo? Tough guy days are over.

I will not apologize for the 86 cup team that kicked ass all year long. I loved the Nilan era almost as much as the Lafleur era. ( not as much). Bruins are still physically intimidating. I wouldn't Pat ourselves in the back for diamanting them. Chiarelli did that

Awww hr, and here I thought we turned a corner. I haven't picked on you in ages and we even quoted eachother a few weeks ago. I guess since 30/31 took a break you need a new friend though, so I understand. Cheers

Are you Slack from HIO?. He has the same schtick,patrolling the site for any kind of negative posts about MB or MT. You're busted,lol.

Looks like we have a new troll on board. Might be a good thing during the summer break with not much else going on

Don't let him bother you GL 10 just put him on ignore, like I do.

Are you Slack from HIO?. He has the same schtick,patrolling the site for any kind of negative posts about MB or MT. You're busted,lol.

Guys, enough with the personal jabs. We let it slide way too much last time, a mistake we won't let happen again. This is a topic about Ryan Johnston. Keep it on topic.

• Upvote 1

I would speculate that he must be pretty good. He is undersized for a defenseman - true. He is also a right hand shot which the organization (minors overkill)--- We are short of lefties not righties. Unless this is some favor for somebodies uncle, i think they must really like this kid. Dlbair- Hanley is also right, I believe- you may have missed him in your article on main site.

His numbers are, like Matt Bradley's, quite underwhelming and why go with a 2 year deal?

ELC lengths are based on a players' age. It had to be two years.

I would speculate that he must be pretty good. He is undersized for a defenseman - true. He is also a right hand shot which the organization (minors overkill)--- We are short of lefties not righties. Unless this is some favor for somebodies uncle, i think they must really like this kid. Dlbair- Hanley is also right, I believe- you may have missed him in your article on main site.

Hanley is a left shot D. There are sites that list him as a righty but his photos clearly show he shoots left.

As for the contract, he gets the max signing bonus ($92,500 per year) so the Habs are compensating him well to leave college a year early. He has very low NHL salaries so there are a lot of performance bonuses in there.