Should we trade DD? If so who replaces him?

DON

That's why Ol' Glen is abandoning the ship

ol' Glen is just ol'. Plus his replacement is either a flash in the pan or a genius deserving another shot. Jeff Gorton was the one that convinced Toronto to give up Tuukka Rask for Justin Pogge, but then Boston was like, "Nah we will hire Peter Chiarelli instead."

Habs were 25th in shots on goal and that is not a DD strong point neither.

Trizzak's hint that DD maybe just needs to think of it as, passing puck to back of net and not shooting, might be a start?

Habs were 25th in shots on goal and that is not a DD strong point neither.

Trizzak's hint that DD maybe just needs to think of it as, passing puck to back of net and not shooting, might be a start?

It's so odd that he never shoots because he has a very good shot. Hasn't been under 15% for shooting percentage since his rookie year. It's like he has no confidence in it. The few times I wanted to join the "TRADE THAT SMALLPOX" brigade was when he'd have a great angle at a goalie to fire the puck and he'd pass it to a player already tied up with a defender.

It's so odd that he never shoots because he has a very good shot. Hasn't been under 15% for shooting percentage since his rookie year. It's like he has no confidence in it. The few times I wanted to join the "TRADE THAT SMALLPOX" brigade was when he'd have a great angle at a goalie to fire the puck and he'd pass it to a player already tied up with a defender.

When he is not on Patches line, he seems to shoot a lot more. You are right he has a good shot and should use it more but I think he feels he is the setup guy and Patches is the sniper.

Yes, I can't prove it, but I'd be willing to bet that he shoots a higher % of the time when Pacioretty isn't on his line. He's not going to shoot more with Patches there; years of success have conditioned him to pass to #67 under nearly all circumstances. And yes, he definitely should shoot more. It could be the key to prolonging his NHL career.

I agree with whoever said that trading DD is not the top of the list as importance to Bergevin, he is a reliable point producer, and can take advantage of teams from a play making stand point if used in the right circumstance/offensive zone starts.

Having said that, he should not be in the top 6...

We need a #1 center.

I'm with Illwill, I like Stall on a one year deal for now....

I agree with whoever said that trading DD is not the top of the list as importance to Bergevin, he is a reliable point producer, and can take advantage of teams from a play making stand point if used in the right circumstance/offensive zone starts.

Having said that, he should not be in the top 6...

We need a #1 center.

I'm with Illwill, I like Stall on a one year deal for now....

How you gonna get him? Kidnap his brother? :)

How could he have a 53point pace as a 23yr old and had 15g this year, if he has zero offense IQ?

And he is big, block shots, good one faceoffs, can really skate well and is good on the PK.

So he is not hurting team any and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the #2 centre this year.

How could he have a 53point pace as a 23yr old and had 15g this year, if he has zero offense IQ?

And he is big, block shots, good one faceoffs, can really skate well and is good on the PK.

So he is not hurting team any and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the #2 centre this year.

Same reason the Toronto Maple Leafs made the playoffs. Half seasons are deceptive.

Guest Stogey24

You'll never see Eller doggin it. I think that's why I have a soft spot for him. Skates hard every shift

27 pts in 77 games? -6? Hardly 3rd string center material let one 2nd. LOL

While I think Eller is an OK 3rd line C, I'm basically with you. A large constituency of Habs fans, however, hug l'il baby Lars close to their breasts; he can do no wrong, or else his relentless mediocrity is endlessly excused. Nothing is ever L'il Baby Lars's fault. Considering that Eller's uselessness is a key Achilles' Heel to the rebuild - he was supposed to make either DD or Pleks redundant by now - you'd think that he'd be the whipping boy, not Desharnais. So ya make a good point.

27 pts in 77 games? -6? Hardly 3rd string center material let one 2nd. LOL

It's third line centre material. That's where most third line centres score at in todays NHL. Problem is guys like John Mitchell do it at $1.7m while Eller does it for $3.5m. Only Berglund on the Blues looks worse at $3.7m but that's because like Eller he had one good season and that convinced St.Louis he might have more in his system.

Eller scores enough for a third line centre but is paid like a premium third line centre. When Brian Boyle makes $1.5m less, Eller better be putting up 35-40 points, regardless of his lack of offensive starts.

While I think Eller is an OK 3rd line C, I'm basically with you. A large constituency of Habs fans, however, hug l'il baby Lars close to their breasts; he can do no wrong, or else his relentless mediocrity is endlessly excused. Nothing is ever L'il Baby Lars's fault. Considering that Eller's uselessness is a key Achilles' Heel to the rebuild - he was supposed to make either DD or Pleks redundant by now - you'd think that he'd be the whipping boy, not Desharnais. So ya make a good point.

yeah I agree with that. It is amazing that DD is a piece of garbage and Eller has potential. Really? I don't hate eller he is just not what he should be by now. Right now he is a failure.

Eller 28seconds/gm on PP again last year.

Seeing as Habs have coasted into playoffs for last 3 years especially last year as #2 team in league, maybe look at important/real season's stats;

Max 46pts/82 gms playoffs, (3:01 on PP/game last year)

Eller 40 (0:38 on PP),

DD 28 (2:33 on PP)

Again, I dispute Zero offensive IQ for lil Larry. I am not saying is high...just not zero and at times appears quite good.

Yes, his 'offensive IQ' looks great for the three weeks every season that he gets hot. However, the same was true of noted offensive stars Benoit Brunet, Brian Savage, and Jan Bulis. Most of the time Eller generates absolutely nothing. Of course, that's all his linemates' fault, no doubt, or Therrien's...cause it's L'il Baby Lars, remember.

Eller 28seconds/gm on PP again last year.

Seeing as Habs have coasted into playoffs for last 3 years especially last year as #2 team in league, maybe look at important/real season's stats;

Max 46pts/82 gms playoffs, (3:01 on PP/game last year)

Eller 40 (0:38 on PP),

DD 28 (2:33 on PP)

Again, I dispute Zero offensive IQ for lil Larry. I am not saying is high...just not zero and at times appears quite good.

Now Don you do realize that it is Le Genius your uncle Mike who decides P/P time. Are you saying he is making a mistake in not letting Larry on the P/P?

Now Don you do realize that it is Le Genius your uncle Mike who decides P/P time. Are you saying he is making a mistake in not letting Larry on the P/P?

No, was just grooming Eller for his breakout year in 15-16 as the #2 centre and will be the golden-boy of fans by next June! :tigi:

Right now, getting rid of DD gives us no advantage, and a gaping whole that we'd need to replace.

David Desharnais is what he is - a reliable but small 40-50 point center who will get (and has gotten) the same point totals anywhere on the top 3 lines, who works hard, backchecks and is responsible defensively, at a very inexpensive $3.5 million a season. Last year he was relegated to our second line and still gave us 48 points.

People get upset with him because he's not a first line center. We don't play him on our first line, we don't pay him like a first line center, and he produces points on a team with no offense. I think you'd find getting someone to replace him is far harder than it sounds.

Meanwhile, Lars Eller is a perennial 25-30 point big center does not work hard, backcheck, or play responsible defensively, with the same cap hit as David Desharnais. Eller is simply eating cap space - we could replace him with Torey Mitchell and get similar offense with better defensive capabilities for far less money. I don't understand why we'd want to ditch DD and keep this bum. Bigger does not always mean better.

David Desharnais is what he is - a reliable but small 40-50 point center who will get (and has gotten) the same point totals anywhere on the top 3 lines, who works hard, backchecks and is responsible defensively, at a very inexpensive $3.5 million a season. Last year he was relegated to our second line and still gave us 48 points.

People get upset with him because he's not a first line center. We don't play him on our first line, we don't pay him like a first line center, and he produces points on a team with no offense. I think you'd find getting someone to replace him is far harder than it sounds.

Meanwhile, Lars Eller is a perennial 25-30 point big center does not work hard, backcheck, or play responsible defensively, with the same cap hit as David Desharnais. Eller is simply eating cap space - we could replace him with Torey Mitchell and get similar offense with better defensive capabilities for far less money. I don't understand why we'd want to ditch DD and keep this bum. Bigger does not always mean better.

You prefer DD to Lars defensively? Offensively, you have a point, DD has produced while Lars has worn out the 'potential' card. But without the puck, seems to me they both hustle and work hard and that Lars even has the edge in terms of results defensively (who plays the PK more? who has the most defensive zone face offs).

Lars very well may be the odd man out and the one to ship out, but based on offensive production, hockey IQ and potential return in a trade, not defensive results or work ethic.

Right now, getting rid of DD gives us no advantage, and a gaping whole that we'd need to replace.

Some great points there that I agree with. Although I'm one of the ones with the belief that if Eller was playing where DD plays in the lineup and gets the PP time etc, he would have the same offensive production at the same cost. He is also better defensively and obviously bigger.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Lars a "bum," but this is a good post. It's true that Mitchell can do pretty much all of what Eller does for a fraction of the cost. The only difference is that a faint lingering aura of "potential" still accrues to Eller (as illWill's post illustrates), a phenomenon abetted by his annual 3-week-long hot streaks. Obviously MT does not agree that Eller can be as effective as DD in the latter's role, or he would have moved Eller there long ago, and Machine, in several posts, has documented pretty exhaustively that Eller basically sucks whenever he is lined up against top-6 forwards. So the evidence seems to tilt pretty conclusively to the fact that Eller really is nothing more than a more costly version of Mitchell. But even so, it'll take another couple of years before the last of the halo finally dissipates around L'il Baby Lars.