Should we trade DD? If so who replaces him?

DON

Guest Stogey24

Right now, getting rid of DD gives us no advantage, and a gaping whole that we'd need to replace.

David Desharnais is what he is - a reliable but small 40-50 point center who will get (and has gotten) the same point totals anywhere on the top 3 lines, who works hard, backchecks and is responsible defensively, at a very inexpensive $3.5 million a season. Last year he was relegated to our second line and still gave us 48 points.

People get upset with him because he's not a first line center. We don't play him on our first line, we don't pay him like a first line center, and he produces points on a team with no offense. I think you'd find getting someone to replace him is far harder than it sounds.

Meanwhile, Lars Eller is a perennial 25-30 point big center does not work hard, backcheck, or play responsible defensively, with the same cap hit as David Desharnais. Eller is simply eating cap space - we could replace him with Torey Mitchell and get similar offense with better defensive capabilities for far less money. I don't understand why we'd want to ditch DD and keep this bum. Bigger does not always mean better.

I've seen you post similar comments about Beaulieu too, it's not all about point production. I'll admit Eller's offensive instincts could improve , but saying he's a dogger is way off. I honestly can't remember ever seeing him drag ass out there and I don't miss too many games.

Let's says Eller puts up a whopping 5 more goals and becomes a 20 goal scorer. Then what, he's not a dogger anymore? Look at what Belesky just got as contract. He put 5 more points than Eller and thats getting top line minutes with 2 of the best forwards in the game. Now he's making 4 mill a season...

I've seen you post similar comments about Beaulieu too, it's not all about point production. I'll admit Eller's offensive instincts could improve , but saying he's a dogger is way off. I honestly can't remember ever seeing him drag ass out there and I don't miss too many games.

Let's says Eller puts up a whopping 5 more goals and becomes a 20 goal scorer. Then what, he's not a dogger anymore? Look at what Belesky just got as contract. He put 5 more points than Eller and thats getting top line minutes with 2 of the best forwards in the game. Now he's making 4 mill a season...

I've talked before that I wouldn't be so hard on Eller if he was more consistent.

Eller had 10 points in 20 games at the end of the season. If he was a half point per game guy he'd be definitely worth his deal. But he had three points in 25 games in January and February. He had 12 points in 21 games in November/December but just two points in 11 in October.

He scored 15 goals, 6 in 14 in November, 3 in 5 in April. No goals in January, one goal in October, one goal in February. To his credit the game winners are spread out over the season. That's still 9 of his 15 goals in two months of the calendar (12 of 15 in November, March and April)

He had one point in 20 games between January 6th and February 21st (2 in 26 if you go March 5th).

He went in these point clusters that make up the majority of his stats. It's not like DD who slumped at the start of the year and then was fine, or Pacioretty who sometimes goes a few games without scoring a goal and then revs up.

November 2 to November 13: 6 points in 6 games

December 23 to January 3: 4 points in 5 games

March 7 to March 17: 5 points in 7 games

March 28 to April 9: 5 points in 6 games

That's 20 of his 27 points of the season in 26 games. Which means he had only 7 points in the remaining 51 games of the year. That's where my problem with Eller lies.

If Max Pacioretty scored 50 points in 26 games and then only put up 10 points in the remaining games I'd be just as critical about him. Lars Eller scores at the average pace of a third line centre (25-35 points) but in actuality, he's going 55 games without scoring at all.

67 gets 3minutes on PP, Eller gets 0:28

Weren't Montreal's points-per-minute better at even strength than on the powerplay?* That means playing the powerplay for the habs this year was going to lower your offensive numbers. :P

* - maybe that was just in the playoffs. Still, being on Montreal's PP isn't a path to extra points.

I've talked before that I wouldn't be so hard on Eller if he was more consistent.

Eller had 10 points in 20 games at the end of the season. If he was a half point per game guy he'd be definitely worth his deal. But he had three points in 25 games in January and February. He had 12 points in 21 games in November/December but just two points in 11 in October.

He scored 15 goals, 6 in 14 in November, 3 in 5 in April. No goals in January, one goal in October, one goal in February. To his credit the game winners are spread out over the season. That's still 9 of his 15 goals in two months of the calendar (12 of 15 in November, March and April)

He had one point in 20 games between January 6th and February 21st (2 in 26 if you go March 5th).

He went in these point clusters that make up the majority of his stats. It's not like DD who slumped at the start of the year and then was fine, or Pacioretty who sometimes goes a few games without scoring a goal and then revs up.

November 2 to November 13: 6 points in 6 games

December 23 to January 3: 4 points in 5 games

March 7 to March 17: 5 points in 7 games

March 28 to April 9: 5 points in 6 games

That's 20 of his 27 points of the season in 26 games. Which means he had only 7 points in the remaining 51 games of the year. That's where my problem with Eller lies.

If Max Pacioretty scored 50 points in 26 games and then only put up 10 points in the remaining games I'd be just as critical about him. Lars Eller scores at the average pace of a third line centre (25-35 points) but in actuality, he's going 55 games without scoring at all.

The thing is, when a player is only getting that many points in a season, it's not fair to be critical of them not putting up points consistently. You can criticize the amount of points, but if they were more consistent, they would have more points. His points are spread out in clusters yes, but does that really matter when looking at the season as a whole? Is getting 1 point every 2 games much different than 41 every 82? And no, he isn't quite a half point per game player, but the last 3 seasons he is at .41 which isn't too far off. I agree it is frustrating when he goes seemingly forever without production, but at the same time, it is certainly great when his clustered production single handily wins a game.

It definitely would be great if Lars could step it up and become what we've all hoped he would. Personally I think he's done okay thus far but I'd like more from him as well. His place in the lineup is nobodies fault but his own. Nothing is handed to anyone in this league and he must earn PP time and better line mates. Although my one point I have about that is, sometimes players do indeed play better when surrounded by better players. And sometimes players make others around them better. I'm reminded of a time when I moved to a different city and joined a rec league where I didn't know anyone. They slapped me on the last line with two guys who couldn't generate anything and as a result I had barely any points over a quarter season. An injury opened up a spot on a top line and from there and I didn't look back, leading in points the rest of the way. That's how I feel about Eller, if he could just somehow get better line mates his production would go way up. And if it doesn't, he is still a pretty good defensive center that can chip in every once in awhile.

Guest Stogey24

The thing is, when a player is only getting that many points in a season, it's not fair to be critical of them not putting up points consistently. You can criticize the amount of points, but if they were more consistent, they would have more points. His points are spread out in clusters yes, but does that really matter when looking at the season as a whole? Is getting 1 point every 2 games much different than 41 every 82? And no, he isn't quite a half point per game player, but the last 3 seasons he is at .41 which isn't too far off. I agree it is frustrating when he goes seemingly forever without production, but at the same time, it is certainly great when his clustered production single handily wins a game.

It definitely would be great if Lars could step it up and become what we've all hoped he would. Personally I think he's done okay thus far but I'd like more from him as well. His place in the lineup is nobodies fault but his own. Nothing is handed to anyone in this league and he must earn PP time and better line mates. Although my one point I have about that is, sometimes players do indeed play better when surrounded by better players. And sometimes players make others around them better. I'm reminded of a time when I moved to a different city and joined a rec league where I didn't know anyone. They slapped me on the last line with two guys who couldn't generate anything and as a result I had barely any points over a quarter season. An injury opened up a spot on a top line and from there and I didn't look back, leading in points the rest of the way. That's how I feel about Eller, if he could just somehow get better line mates his production would go way up. And if it doesn't, he is still a pretty good defensive center that can chip in every once in awhile.

Good post