Alex Galchenyuk re-signs, 2 year bridge, $2.8M per season

Well the 'Oracle' was wrong and was not a $2.9m/yr deal.

But only off $0.1m, not bad dlbalr.

Nice to see all done and settled.

Hey, I'm content to come in too high. Actually, I'm pretty pleased with that guess, that's pretty close.

It was a good time for the signing too, we were just about to put another article up. Now, that can be delayed a couple of days (offseason content is hard to produce so we won't put two up at once). That's a nice gift for us.

It was a good time for the signing too, we were just about to put another article up. Now, that can be delayed a couple of days (offseason content is hard to produce so we won't put two up at once). That's a nice gift for us.

Good to know another article's on the way too!

Here's to hoping Galchenyuk pulls a subban, wins the rocket and earns 9 mill a year

2.5/3.1 for a breakdown. This matters as his QO is based on the second year salary. In other words, his QO after 16/17 will be $3.1 million. I've edited the contract page on the site to reflect this.

Good to know another article's on the way too!

We'll have a fair bit of stuff next month as it will be Fantasy Focus time where me and the other writers get to guess wildly about how many points each player will get. We'll mix in the odd editorial/mailbag as well.

Well the 'Oracle' was wrong and was not a $2.9m/yr deal.

But only off $0.1m, not bad dlbalr.

Nice to see all done and settled.

Tough crowd. Tough crowd. :)

My jersey is relevant for at least 2 more years (barring a trade).

Now, should I change my Cammy #13 (which was originally a Tanguay) for a Semin ?

NOOOOOOT !!!!

Excellent news, we are in really good shape to start the season. I wonder if MB will doing any more tinkering.

Well...IF Kassian and Semin play well, we're in really good shape.

Those are two not-insignificant 'ifs.'

So 2mill left of cap space?

Bit more than that, closer to $2.6 M. There's enough money left if they wanted to sign another free agent to a one year deal along the lines of Semin's contract while still maintaining some flexibility for in-season moves or injuries. I'm not so sure that's going to happen though.

Well...IF Kassian and Semin play well, we're in really good shape.

Those are two not-insignificant 'ifs.'

Hey some people on this site think Le Genius is the best coach in the nhl, what could possibly go wrong? :)

Best coach in the league...Hmmm?

Will be interesting to see if Saviour Babcock in Hogtown, is Scotty Bowman as Buffalo Sabre coach revisited?

Anyways will Habs all signed, will Habs now use available contracts to add a vet or two to IceCap roster?

Obviously this is a great signing. Two more years of cheap Galchenyuk to make a run at the cup. And for him, he will have 5 years of NHL service at the end of the contract, and there will be a better understanding of what he is as a player. If he succeeds, he will get paid long term. If he stumbles, well that would suck but at least he wouldn't be locked up for a bunch of money.

Anyways will Habs all signed, will Habs now use available contracts to add a vet or two to IceCap roster?

They have three contracts left out of 50. Assuming they'll want to keep at least a couple for in-season adds, I can't see them adding anyone for St. John's on an NHL deal. They'll have to make do with AHL contracts.

No one seems to be complaining this bridge deal is idiotic, as they did for #76's.

I think that's because most of us could see that Subban was a bona-fide superstar, and that the only thing that could stop him from continuing to evolve as a dominant defenceman was an out-of-control ego. Even that danger was likely exaggerated by the subliminally racist double-standards that informed so much of the discussion around PK early in his career.

Galchenyuk, on the other hand, has progressed adequately but looked terrible down the stretch and into the playoffs and has left all sorts of doubts about whether he will indeed become the star we hoped he'd become.

PK was a no-brainer all-star, Galy isn't. Therein lies the difference.

• Upvote 1

Have been very vocal about how I disliked and still dislike Subban's bridge deal, I must say that I totally agree with what CC said.

Subban was already a force and a sure career top pair dman by the time he signed his bridge.

During his ELC, he went from a 2nd round pick to an absolute superstar, fan favorite, business asset, etc.

Right next, a Norris winner.

It was clear that we would end up paying him HUUUGE money.

Also, he never missed a game because of an injury at this time.

Galchenyuk though, despite being a really good and promising young player, missed an entire season because of a serious injury and didn't manage to reach that superstar level that Subban and other young guys reached (Tavares, Stamkos, etc).

A bridge is what both sides needed, IMO. The Habs to ensure that Galchenyuk is a real deal. Galchenyuk to prove that he worths 8M$ long term and not "only" 6M$.

They should have signed subban to a 12 year deal before the old expired. There is no way subban could have asked for more than what Keith or Karlsson were signed to at that time. It was bad enough to not lock him up before the old CBA expired. Not signing him to an 8 year deal instead of the bridge was ludicrous and I was pretty voc about it at the time and still could worked up about it now. That extra $2.5m+ of cap space would have been nice to have for the next 7 years. Instead we gave subban a bridge and signed briere.

With galchenyuk, I'd still have signed him to a long term deal if was willing to do so for maxpac type salary, but no way I'd pay him over $5m.

Have been very vocal about how I disliked and still dislike Subban's bridge deal, I must say that I totally agree with what CC said.

Subban was already a force and a sure career top pair dman by the time he signed his bridge.

During his ELC, he went from a 2nd round pick to an absolute superstar, fan favorite, business asset, etc.

Right next, a Norris winner.

It was clear that we would end up paying him HUUUGE money.

Also, he never missed a game because of an injury at this time.

Galchenyuk though, despite being a really good and promising young player, missed an entire season because of a serious injury and didn't manage to reach that superstar level that Subban and other young guys reached (Tavares, Stamkos, etc).

A bridge is what both sides needed, IMO. The Habs to ensure that Galchenyuk is a real deal. Galchenyuk to prove that he worths 8M$ long term and not "only" 6M$.