Subban re-signs, 8 years, $72 million ($9 M AAV)

dlbalr

Yes. Don't get why he isn't signed yet.

Florida has been a horribly run franchise for years and tallon is going to make things worse, despite having 3 or 4 potentially elite young players. Surrounding them with over-paid or over-rated has beens isn't going to make them better. There was a reason he was cast aside in Chicago for Stan Bowman.

As for the Habs, their cap situation may get tricky if Galchenyuk breaks out and galleghar also takes another big step this year. Things become even tougher if Beaulieu and Tinordi break out as well. That's where not signing Subban earlier and over-paying and over-commiting for guys that are nothing more than 4th liners on a good team may hurt. Good problem to have all 4 break out, but no easy task to find a solution.

MB did a great job of unloading gorges, but they still need to move moen and Bourque as well.

Are you talking about Ryan Johansen?

Fans worry too much about the salary cap. With the decline of free agency, imo, the game is going to change to keeping the elite players on pricey hometown deals.

Players like Kane, Toews, Subban don't exist in free agency anymore. Teams are going to sign their top flight guys to bigger deals. All about the draft and homegrown talent.

If we're worried about the Habs cap management let's compare their approach to Florida's:

The Habs have three top-5 players at their respective positions, Subban, Pacioretty and Price. They also have two of the best complementary players at the second line center and number two defensemen.

Florida has chosen an odd hybrid of building through the draft and signing complementary veterans on premium deals. They have exactly zero elite players. Their highest paid players are Brian Campbell and Dave Bolland. They also pay players like Dimitriy Kulikov premium dollars. They own the worst contract in history in Luongo.

Montreal spends less than three million more than Florida.

This is precisely why I was enraged at any penny pinching. The Habs thus far have managed the cap as well as any team in the league.

Are you talking about Ryan Johansen?

Fans worry too much about the salary cap. With the decline of free agency, imo, the game is going to change to keeping the elite players on pricey hometown deals.

Players like Kane, Toews, Subban don't exist in free agency anymore. Teams are going to sign their top flight guys to bigger deals. All about the draft and homegrown talent.

If we're worried about the Habs cap management let's compare their approach to Florida's:

The Habs have three top-5 players at their respective positions, Subban, Pacioretty and Price. They also have two of the best complementary players at the second line center and number two defensemen.

Florida has chosen an odd hybrid of building through the draft and signing complementary veterans on premium deals. They have exactly zero elite players. Their highest paid players are Brian Campbell and Dave Bolland. They also pay players like Dimitriy Kulikov premium dollars. They own the worst contract in history in Luongo.

Montreal spends less than three million more than Florida.

This is precisely why I was enraged at any penny pinching. The Habs thus far have managed the cap as well as any team in the league.

I am confused, the habs are great at managing the cap but you are pissed off at the penny pinching? Isn't that what managing the cap is all about? Maximizing the dollar value? We have no facts here to base a real definitive opinion on. Do you know what happened in the negotiations? do you have some insight the rest of us don't have? do you know for a fact that PK wasn't asking for 11 mill per year and dropped the demand to 9 mil? If you do please enlighten the rest of us. We want to know. Far too many goofy suppositions are being made by people who have no actual knowledge of anything that went on. If you think I am wrong prove it.

I agree Habs Rule, everyone makes assumptions of who asked for what, who caved, etc., when really we have no clue. Penny pinching isn't penny pinching when it's millions, it's just cap management so we can keep our best players, I wouldn't expect anything less would you? It has made some great conversation on the discussion boards though...

Isn't this the last year for Bourque's salary? Moen could be easily moved likely, but his contract doesn't cost a lot, if he is useful, it's no biggie.

I think the bridge contract is part of the business plan for this management team in Mtl. It established that we won't be signing young players 'till they prove their worth, and that is a good precedent that will pay off in the future, as Price and Subban had to do it, so will others. Seems like good management of the cap, and talent over the long term.

I still think Bergevin has done some fine work in his tenure, and that includes the 11th hour signing of Subban, he did get it done in the end, bravo Marc!

Look where we were at the end of Gainey/Gauthier, and tell me they could have lead us here..... and I'll call you delusional....

I agree Habs Rule, everyone makes assumptions of who asked for what, who caved, etc., when really we have no clue. Penny pinching isn't penny pinching when it's millions, it's just cap management so we can keep our best players, I wouldn't expect anything less would you? It has made some great conversation on the discussion boards though...

Isn't this the last year for Bourque's salary? Moen could be easily moved likely, but his contract doesn't cost a lot, if he is useful, it's no biggie.

I think the bridge contract is part of the business plan for this management team in Mtl. It established that we won't be signing young players 'till they prove their worth, and that is a good precedent that will pay off in the future, as Price and Subban had to do it, so will others. Seems like good management of the cap, and talent over the long term.

I still think Bergevin has done some fine work in his tenure, and that includes the 11th hour signing of Subban, he did get it done in the end, bravo Marc!

Look where we were at the end of Gainey/Gauthier, and tell me they could have lead us here..... and I'll call you delusional....

I believe both Bourque and Moen have at least 2 more years left - as does Prust. Ideally, we'd go in the year with only one of them on the roster.

This season and next season the team won't have a lot of wiggle room. Summer of 2016 is different with Plekanec, Parenteau, Bourque, Moen, Prust, Weise and Gilbert all coming off the cap. That's not counting any trades that could happen in that time.

I'm guessing Moen gets moved to help pay for one of the RFAs while we do whatever it takes to salary dump Bourque. That along with the cap going up should pay for the RFAs (Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Bournival/Tinordi/Beaulieu)

I am confused, the habs are great at managing the cap but you are pissed off at the penny pinching? Isn't that what managing the cap is all about? Maximizing the dollar value? We have no facts here to base a real definitive opinion on. Do you know what happened in the negotiations? do you have some insight the rest of us don't have? do you know for a fact that PK wasn't asking for 11 mill per year and dropped the demand to 9 mil? If you do please enlighten the rest of us. We want to know. Far too many goofy suppositions are being made by people who have no actual knowledge of anything that went on. If you think I am wrong prove it.

So going to arbitration twenty four hours before signing one of the biggest deals in the league is a standard negotiating tactic. That can't be true. I don't think that happens, ever.

I personally don't like 8 years but screw it, I think almost everyone is very pleased he is just signed long term.

Cool, now just how good will he become?

Will he be given the green light to rush more?

What will the top 2 pairings be; Gilbert-Emelin, Subban-Markov I assume?

So going to arbitration twenty four hours before signing one of the biggest deals in the league is a standard negotiating tactic. That can't be true. I don't think that happens, ever.

I know that it is not standard practice, and is an anomaly, so when things don't add up, I wait to get some facts about what happened instead of jumping to conclusions.

Standard? No. Happened? Yes.

The difference is that Shea Weber took the arbitrator ruling while Bergevin signed Subban before it could happen.

I say good for Bergevin. But I still don't know who did what or what happened. We will know soon enough.

I say good for Bergevin. But I still don't know who did what or what happened. We will know soon enough.

According to Engels, it sounds like the Habs offered $8m, and than came back with the $9m Subban was willing to sign for prior to the arbitration.

According to Engels, it sounds like the Habs offered $8m, and than came back with the $9m Subban was willing to sign for prior to the arbitration.

I read that article, an like the rest of us Eric is guessing. That is certainly a very possible scenario. I would like to think that MB was not being a dumbass.

but who knows?

Engels is like Eliotte Friedman-lite. He deserves a better showcase than Eklunds site. But with all of the comments after his articles that might be a financial decision on his part.

Friedman is such a Homer. He stirred the pot before Subban got signed.

well it is the dog days of hockey summer so they gotta sell papers (or get hits) and controversy does that.

Friedman is such a Homer. He stirred the pot before Subban got signed.

I was fine with Friedman's articles. Nowhere near as bad as McKenzie straight up saying Montreal would trade Subban as his opinion in the middle of a news story. As if that wouldn't make most believe Bob had facts on Montreal ready to move PK.

It was also the biggest off-season story after free agency.

well it is the dog days of hockey summer so they gotta sell papers (or get hits) and controversy does that.

I liked how Brian put it in his piece about it, "a smart GM plays all of his cards, and so too does a smart agent" " "In the end, the only thing that matters is that the deal got done, not how." Perfect perception ya ask me...

Go read what Subban said about it all, He talks about it being difficult to work out such a long contract, and how professional and respectful the Habs brass was all the way through.

He talks about how Bergevin cares about his players, and would never jeopardize his players future in any way.

Nutshell, Subban said:

"It sends a strong message to me that they want me here and they appreciate everything that I’ve done to this point and they believe in me as a player. I think I’ve always believed that, but obviously, in this process, coming out with this result now, everybody else understands it and can see it as well and doesn’t have to speculate about how the Montreal Canadiens feel about me."

I don't care what Friedman, Engles, Bob MacKenzie, or Don Cherry says, I only care how PK, and the rest of the Habs players feel.

I can't believe the negativity by some fans still lingers, with our best defenseman since the 70's locked up long term, on a contract that will be a deal most likely in a few short years....

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I was fine with Friedman's articles. Nowhere near as bad as McKenzie straight up saying Montreal would trade Subban as his opinion in the middle of a news story. As if that wouldn't make most believe Bob had facts on Montreal ready to move PK.

"We are not going to argue that PK is a dynamic offensive player who our fans love. But, he has defensive deficiencies and is not in the same class as Shea Weber, who was given a record $7.5 million award three years ago. He is not in the same class as Drew Doughty, who makes $7 million. But, if you want to tell us he is worth $6.5 million like Erik Karlsson, we can accept that." That grinds my gears a bit that Friedman would even speculate that being said at the meeting.

"We are not going to argue that PK is a dynamic offensive player who our fans love. But, he has defensive deficiencies and is not in the same class as Shea Weber, who was given a record $7.5 million award three years ago. He is not in the same class as Drew Doughty, who makes $7 million. But, if you want to tell us he is worth $6.5 million like Erik Karlsson, we can accept that." That grinds my gears a bit that Friedman would even speculate that being said at the meeting.

Friedman keeps contact with both agents of players, players who have been in arbitration meetings and lawyers that have been arbitrators. That's the kind of thing said in an arbitration hearing.

When Nashville went through arbitration with Weber do you think they were just saying, "Oh you're such a great player, so amazing, but we just want to pay you less?" No, it's all about arguing your stance.

Guest Stogey24

Friedman keeps contact with both agents of players, players who have been in arbitration meetings and.lawyers that have been arbitrators. That's the kind of thing said in an arbitration hearing. You have to draw a line between respect and tactics

When Nashville went through arbitration with Weber do you think they were just saying, "Oh you're such a great player, so amazing, but we just want to pay you less?" No, it's all about arguing your stance.

I don't think you take rib shots a player then sign him. You have to draw a line between tactics and disrespect

Which is why teams try and avoid arbitration at all costs. When the islanders took tommy salo to arbitration, they ripped into him so bad, he started crying.

Friedman isn't someone who throws quotes around freely - he is very well connected. The fact those things were said and the deal got done that fast afterwards, is probably because the Habs realized they may damage the relationship beyond repair and I'm pretty sure they knew they were going to lose the arbitration case. Despite the Habs arguments, Subban was going to get at a minimum what Weber got FOUR years ago.

I don't think you take rib shots a player then sign him. You have to draw a line between tactics and disrespect

Guest Stogey24

Which is why teams try and avoid arbitration at all costs. When the islanders took tommy salo to arbitration, they ripped into him so bad, he started crying.

Friedman isn't someone who throws quotes around freely - he is very well connected. The fact those things were said and the deal got done that fast afterwards, is probably because the Habs realized they may damage the relationship beyond repair and I'm pretty sure they knew they were going to lose the arbitration case. Despite the Habs arguments, Subban was going to get at a minimum what Weber got FOUR years ago.

Milbury is an idiot though.